IGNORED

Homebrews In General

belty

Which Homebrew game is generally considered the King or the favourite.

I realise that hombrew authors are in it for pleasure or hobby and a few extra quid made is a bonus because it I wouldn't have thought that the market for new 2600 games would be that wide these days so I'm guessing that profit margins wouldn't be that favourable for new developers with time invested, packaging costs, cart materials then the dreaded tax deductions.

So I don't wish this question to be an excuse to slate a game you don't like as that's unfair to authors but to reccomend a first purchase of a homebrew to start off with. (Climber 5 is the one I'm considering at the moment hence my previous post)

I'd guess that it would be a pretty close race between "Climber 5", "Marble Craze", and the many variations of "Thrust".

I'd guess that it would be a pretty close race between "Climber 5", "Marble Craze", and the many variations of "Thrust".

I'd say "Thrust". It just seems like such a remarkable technical achievement.

Climber 5 definately has a big fanbase. My own JoustPong has some afficanados as well.

Oystron will always have a special place in my heart, just because it was so early and so kinetic.

As long as it isn't made by Crackers I think it's A-OK, :ponder: ;)

I don't honestly see how you can compare, some titles yeah with similar themes, but there are so many cool games coming out now, I've got some I've barely even played. Just scratched the surface so to speak. I was floored the other day when I fired up Gunfight for the first time the other day and heard the Johnny Cash song kickin on the title screen! It's amazing the things these homebrews are doing on the old Atari!

My personal favorite is Qb, it's a fun little game. Space Treat, Climber 5, and Oystron are great on Activision Anthology for the GBA. Don't have paddles for Marble Craze, I'm just not that good at Thrust, haven't really played many of the others.

Can't wait for Homestar RPG and the River Raid/1942 type game someone (forget who) on the stella development list is doing, though.

As long as it isn't made by Crackers I think it's A-OK,  :ponder:  ;)

Has he ever made any actual homebrew games (as opposed to demos and hacks) anyway? Don't think the Tamagotchi thing ever got finished, did it?

I don't get the joke, was there a spat with him (from HELL) or something? I've seen Crackers around for a long while, back on rec.games.video.classic.

Anyway, just a demo, but I used his 2600 digital clock at the start of 2600 101 just because it was a nice self contained little program.

I would have to say Thrust for some reason :ponder:  :D

Oh, right, I kept meaning to download that video, I'll do it now.

You know, everyone (including me) is saying Thrust, but now that I think about it, it's kind of a funny choice, in that it's "just" a port. (albeit a super duper impressive one by a guy whose bits I'm not fit to flip.) Also one that works best with additional not-quite-standard hardware...I don't know if thast's a plus or a minus.

I was thinking that the "Homebrew King" would be an original game. (Though I'm not sure if JoustPong would even be in the running, given that I coded it before in Java and VB...not that I think it's a contendor anyway)

Ah well, just a thought. Hope I don't come across as petty...but if I had to put a knock on the homebrew community, myself included, its that there's been far more cool ports than original games.

You know, everyone (including me) is saying Thrust...  

I was thinking that the "Homebrew King" would be an original game.

Oh I wasn't saying that "Thrust" (as good as it is) was MY OWN personal favorite of all of the homebrews thus far. I was trying to take a guess at the question of

Which Homebrew game is generally considered the King or the favorite.

and I think that the three I listed have the greatest mass popularity.

As for my personal favorite home brew, it is "Space Treat Deluxe" without a doubt. :D

Marble Craze

Climber 5

Star Fire

Space Treat Deluxe

Skeleton

All of those are sure things. They get the most play at my house.

I've also heard wonderful, glowing things about Thrust, but I'm waiting for the final version to come out...... :ponder: ;)

As long as it isn't made by Crackers I think it's A-OK,  :ponder:  ;)

Has he ever made any actual homebrew games (as opposed to demos and hacks) anyway? Don't think the Tamagotchi thing ever got finished, did it?

I don't get the joke, was there a spat with him (from HELL) or something? I've seen Crackers around for a long while, back on rec.games.video.classic.

Anyway, just a demo, but I used his 2600 digital clock at the start of 2600 101 just because it was a nice self contained little program.

Think it has something to do with the whole Hozer debacle . . . And the clock is cool, I'm currently working on hacking it into the clock from "Groundhog Day" and making it play "I Got You, Babe" at 6 am. :) Which, of course, wouldn't be possible w/o your cookbook.

I like almost all of the homebrew games. I play them more than I play my other games actually.

I really like the way that Thrust and Marble Craze combine controls for a totally unique and innovative experience. Similarly, JoustPong combines elements from two classic games and still plays very different from either.

Oystron held the number 1 position in my top10 list for quite some time. Now there are so very many great and amazing games being released all the time, I've abandoned a list and just started playing.

Now I'm just dreaming one of the homebrew authors will write a game that combines the lightgun and foot pedal controllers. YAH BABY YAH!

It was just a joke, hence the ;) His digital clock thingie was sold thru Hozer. It may of been cool, but as a homebrew it was lacking in the game department. Maybe it is more a demo, but this was released so I don't know. I don't think there are any bad homebrews. Some are clearly above others, but I've been happy with everything I've bought. And there are so many there that are just mind blowing to see today whats on Atari, it's hard to choose a top game.

Think it has something to do with the whole Hozer debacle . . . And the clock is cool' date=' I'm currently working on hacking it into the clock from "Groundhog Day" and making it play "I Got You, Babe" at 6 am. :) Which, of course, wouldn't be possible w/o your cookbook.[/quote']

Ah, good, some encouragement to get back to that! With selling my house and all I've put it on a back burner.

It was just a joke' date=' hence the ;) His digital clock thingie was sold thru Hozer. It may of been cool, but as a homebrew it was lacking in the game department. Maybe it is more a demo, but this was released so I don't know. I don't think there are any bad homebrews. Some are clearly above others, but I've been happy with everything I've bought. And there are so many there that are just mind blowing to see today whats on Atari, it's hard to choose a top game.[/quote']

I figured it was a joke, just didn't know what the joke was about, specifically....