IGNORED

Atari GR8 picture

ndary

Is there an easy way to import an ATARI GR8 image to the PC (Paintshop or Photoshop) and be able to save it back to GR8 format?.. i would assume yes, since its 2 color image.. does anyone knows of an easy way to do this?

nir

hehehe when we only had 48K GR8 was not much use to us it took most of the memory up and people with cassette only would not have thanked you for using it only for a nice picture. You could get more color (colour as i am english) with artifacting as well. GR8 was only used to do sin and cos effects. Antic 4 was the mode of choice for us.

hehehe when we only had 48K GR8 was not much use to us it took most of the memory up

I am not shure of what you are trying to say....but 8K are 6x in 48K

And even by using double buffering it is 16K and you have 32K available.

And standard Gr.8 are "only" 7860 bytes...

So where is your argue taking grip?

and people with cassette only would not have thanked you for using it only for a nice picture. You could get more color (colour as i am english) with artifacting as well. GR8 was only used to do sin and cos effects. Antic 4 was the mode of choice for us.

On C64 people tried to load a game in 30-60 minutes from floppy... just to see a nice Picture and hear some music. So they had not just a game only... it was a type of entertainment which was needed to have some more games to be sold.

EmkayOn C64 people tried to load a game in 30-60 minutes from floppy... just to see a nice Picture and hear some music. So they had not just a game only... it was a type of entertainment which was needed to have some more games to be sold
Hear Hear. Totally agree. Those nice extras made a title worth buying. How many titles I bought just 'cos it had a nice sound track and/or nice intro and loading picture.. many more than the titles that I actually bought for the gameplay. Many A8 titles had both great intros and great gameplay such as the Lucasfilm games. those were the games you put on when your C64 freinds were around!

BTW.. I liked Plastron it was well done. I actually bought one of the few disk based versions that was released. I read that these were put together by hand in the authors living room in small quantities.. I have of course still got it..

Would love to have seen the sourcecode for Menace that was being worked on. Had a very good software sprite routine so I read on jetbootjack site.

HEHEHE GR8 screen would take 6 mins to laod from tape but it take your point.

There was another cool game with a nice sprite routine too Black Lamp. If you have got either of these you can get the source by using Disk wizard or the like to disasmble it. Bit of a pain but can be done.

I still like playing plaston actually and the old games they were so much easier and fun. I do not bother with much of the games today have XBOX and play Mame and N64 on it etc.

There is a cheat mode in Plastron i think try typing steve bak

this you need to do each level it will trun of collition detection Steve eas the guy that start me off with programming

Andy

Well Nir,

you can use the Jeff Potter program GIFncode to convert a gr. 8, gr. 9 or gr. 15 (greyscale only!) uncompressed/62 sectors and/or a gr. 15 compressed (koala/micro-illustrator) into GIF format. Then use any program you like to upload this GIF file to the PC. To convert the GIF file back to the A8 you may use the Jeff Potter programs Apacview (gr. 9, gr. 9+11 and R,G,B) or JView (Gr.8, gr.9, Gr. 15 and Gr 8,9,15 RGB). All these programs use RAM under the OS however... I guess Photoshop (or a similar program) can read GIF 87a ?!? greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

P.S.: E-Mail me, if you need the mentioned programs... ( amp#abbuc*de )

CharlieChaplin you can use the Jeff Potter program GIFncode to convert a gr. 8, gr. 9 or gr. 15... or JView (Gr.8, gr.9, Gr. 15 and Gr 8,9,15 RGB)
. Yes that's certainly possible. From your PC picture that you want to convert to Graphics 8, you first have to convert your pic to a 2 colour GIF87a first on the PC then use makeATR utility (or similar) to copy this GIF image onto an Atari disk image where you can load this into Jview and save as a standard Atari format image such as Micropainter. Personally I would use G2F these days as the old Atari utilities such as APAC,JVIEW,GED etc. are a longer process.

Here's how I used to get my pics into the Atari before G2F arrived..

I used to convert my pics to GIF87a in Photoshop then copy this onto a blank ATR with makeATR utility. then loaded the pic into JVIEW and saved out as .MIC micropainter. The header of the file appeared to be corrupted so I then loaded this MIC image into Blazing Paddles and set the colour correctly and resaved. This then created a working MIC file whic would load into other A8 art packages. I then wanted to complete the picture in GED. GED was a great attempt to implement using repositioned PMGs and DLIs although the MIC files did not seem to load correctly so I used to extract the MIC from the ATR image back to the PC and then back into GED I would use the "Monitor" in the Atari800Win emulator to Poke the PC file directly to the memory location described by the GED author to the area of memory used for the raw screen data. This worked fine..

As you can see it was a much longer process!!

Thank you Tebe for G2F!!!

Hi, Nir!!!

Try another way: PC BMP format is Atari format compatible (you must cut probably 56 bytes first from BMP) to simply convert between Atari<>PC.

So, maybe... You try add first 56 bytes from oryginally BMP (320x192 of coz) to Atari 8-bit graphics and read it with Paint on PC. Now, You can read BMP in Photoshop (for example), do it something, write as BMP or read in Paint, cut 56 bytes and read on real Atari as Graphics 8...

See ya!!!

Hi' date=' Nir!!!

Try another way: PC BMP format is Atari format compatible (you must cut probably 56 bytes first from BMP) to simply convert between Atari<>PC.

So, maybe... You try add first 56 bytes from oryginally BMP (320x192 of coz) to Atari 8-bit graphics and read it with Paint on PC. Now, You can read BMP in Photoshop (for example), do it something, write as BMP or read in Paint, cut 56 bytes and read on real Atari as Graphics 8...

See ya!!![/quote']

;) exactly, and don't forget then the picture on an intel machine is upside down.

Hi' date=' Nir!!!

See ya!!![/quote']

;) exactly, and don't forget then the picture on an intel machine is upside down.

not quite. it's upside down only in windows.

not quite. it's upside down only in windows.

Nope. It's upside down if it's a DIB. (Device Independent Bitmap)

It's a type of BMP format, most commonly seen in windows. But I've seen upside down bitmaps created on many platforms by many independent tools.

Just my 2 cents.