IGNORED

Tetris for the 2600

Video

Oh' date=' and since Atari thought they had the rights at one time (thinking of Tengen) Did Atari ever release a version of Tetris?[/quote']

Atari Games (the arcade company) owned Tengen. Atari Corp owned the 2600. After 1984 they weren't the same company.

Cubis is better than Edtris... speaking of which' date=' has there been any effort made to get Edtris sold in the store here? Did Ed disappear, or does he just not want it sold?[/quote']

Hozer is still selling it. But it would be nice to see it at the AA store.

Hey, I'd like to look up a few then. Yeah, Edtris was the only one I was aware of. But I think I heard of one actually called Tetris. Didn't know Cubis was the same thing, i'll probably download the rom sometime on that one too if I can find it, I notice AA doesn't have any of the tetris clone roms.

Collaps was cool, but a lot closer to columns than tetris.

Anybody want to attempt a two player tetris? Don't think it wold work unless you turned the playfield sideways and had the pieces shift in from the side of the screen so you could stack them.

I thought I had Edtris once, but can't find the ROM now. I have the ROM for Tetris 26, which is pretty good, but has two main problems: The control is twitchy when rotating pieces (it will often rotate more than 90 degrees), and the pieces appear in a pattern, not at random.

Otherwise, it's a good attempt. I don't think I've ever seen Cubis.

Cubis is better than Edtris... speaking of which, has there been any effort made to get Edtris sold in the store here? Did Ed disappear, or does he just not want it sold?

I had my copies of EdTris and SoundX dumped since there's such a high rate of failure for Hozer carts. I e-mailed Ed to ask about distributing the ROMs and never got a response or a bounced-e-mail error, so I assume his address is still valid and either he never checks it or doesn't care.

wow, that search engine actually works.  Thanks a lot, maybe I'll find what I'm looking for.

BTW, if hoser is still around, what's their link?  Hozer.com?

Word on the street is that Randy still operates Hozer but no longer advertises on the web. His old URL, hozervideo.com, doesn't do anything. I haven't dealt with him since the whole shebang in 2002.

I had my copies of EdTris and SoundX dumped since there's such a high rate of failure for Hozer carts.

Really? I haven't played my Edtris cart in years. Now i'm going to have to check it out to make sure mine hasn't crapped out.

My Edtris works great, played it a while ago!  Great Tetris clone! :)  :)

I was suprised and disappointed to find that mine died. I brought it to show/play at an Atlanta Atari meeting, plugged it into Rob's VCS and nothing :sad:

The ROM is dumped to the net (against Ed's requests :thumbsdown: ). It's copy protected though and won't play in an emulator as is.

Thomas said:

Are you sure about this? All copies I have work with z26.

I'd read somewhere before that it is copy protected, but cannot verify it. I have two Edtris ROMs; one is 2k and the other is 4k. The 1994 2k version runs flawlessly in an emulator and a Supercharger. The 1995 4k version shows a title screen and then the screen scrambles:

ah, i don't know anything about edtris.

anyway, sometimes, if an emulator is not 100% accurate, it can be possible for a program to detect wether it's running on real hardware or not. for instance, most (if not all) gba emulators don't emulate the prefetch queue of the arm cpu. this can be detected

(you'd write a self-modifying routine that modifies code that is on real

hardware already prefetched, and thus the code change has no effect on hardware, but on the emulator it has). now if emulators get more accurate, such copy protection schemes stop working.

The 1995 4k version shows a title screen and then the screen scrambles:

This is the version that's copy protected.

Edit:

Just to clarify what I meant by copy pretection, he doesn't do anything that will stop the game from playing in an emulator. If you took that same ROM and used a CC or SC you'd get the same result.

This is the version that's copy protected.

Just to clarify what I meant by copy pretection, he doesn't do anything that will stop the game from playing in an emulator. If you took that same ROM and used a CC or SC you'd get the same result.

Well, just one question:

If I get this 4Kb ROM, burn an EPROM and build a cart, will it works, on a real 2600 ?

It isn't so much a copy protection, it's a serial number, you could make tons of copies with the same serial number but if you try to change it - BANG!.

I could be cracked but why, it's a homebrew? ;) I know I wouldn't do it.

I had the same problems with the twitchy control in Tetris 26, and since the source was available I worked on debouncing the input. I think the control is little better now but it still needs some work. Are you interested?