IGNORED

Prices Dropping on 7800 carts

bcprs1

Anyone else notice how much prices have dropped on 7800 games lately? Games like Commando, Ikari Warriors, Planet Smashers, Rampage, Fatal Run and Alien Brigade now only seem to get between $10-$20. About a year again, these games would get between $20-$30 on average. The game that has really shocked me lately is Planet Smasher. A while ago, you could never find this game. Now it seems to be popping up all over the place.

Just to give you an example, I just saw an auction end on ebay for about $22 that included Commando, Planet Smashers and Alien Brigade (along with about 8 other carts). Maybe people are not collecting them as much? or is it that there are more out there than we thought?

On the other hand, try to find me a Tank Command......

I think the craze for classic gaming in general has hit its stride. The genre has officially sunk into current pop culture and I think the people that were in it for the fad or an opportunity to make a quick buck are no more. The people who truly love the games are here to stay.

Gone are the days where we'll see Combat on eBay for $100. Anymore we'll probably see and pay what games are really worth.

This good for people like me who are still looking to buy. There are quite a few 7800 carts in particular that I don't have but found the prices too high so I've been staying in the rarity 1-4 range for now.

Now if we could only get some of those 8-bit cart prices to come down :)

Good to know prices are coming down. What I've really wanted recently was Commando. If for nothing else, to hear the music on the game. Since you can't hear it in emulators, it detracts from the experience some for me.

Always liked the NES version, but the 7800 just feels more arcade-like. Maybe it the more war-like colors. Still, I'm afraid Commando is still a bit out of my league for buying right now. Poor college student, y'know. :P

Maybe with the prices going down though, I might be able to afford one soon. lol

Good to know prices are coming down. What I've really wanted recently was Commando. If for nothing else' date=' to hear the music on the game. Since you can't hear it in emulators, it detracts from the experience some for me.[/quote']

The music in Commando works fine for me, what emulator are you using?

Mitch

Yes I noticed this too. For a variety of reasons I have sold off most of

my rare 7800 games this past month. And this change caught me off

guard. I feel a bit embaressed now about some of the prices I was asking

when I first tried to sell the games on message boards. Demand has

changed a lot.

Here are the prices I got:

Impossible Mission $10.51

F-18 $4

Double Dragon $8

Rampage (with manual) $9.99

Xenophobe (with manual) $7

Scrapyard Dog (boxed) $8

Midnight Mutants (boxed) $5

Water Ski (boxed) $20

Super Skateboarding $8

Fight Night (sealed box) $11

Ball Blazer (boxed, red variation) $7

Klax (boxed repo) $45

And Winter Games boxed wouldn't sell at $5 and no one wanted a loose

Commando for $12.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. But I was quite surprised at

how few bids some of my auctions got. I think there was a boxed

Commando that sold at the same time for something in the 20s.

I know that I paid several hundred dollars for my 7800 collection' date=' but I also was buying games up when you were, MegaManFan, Lemmi, and Blue Crafty Man. There was a lot more demand last year and there also seemed to be a smaller supply.[/quote']

this was all last year when there was atleast 5 or 6 people from AA trying to complete their 7800 collections :D

water ski - boxed $20 - atari2600.com

Rampage - w/manual $12 - ebay

Commando - New at biglots in 1990 $3

Alien Brigade - New at biglots in 1990 $3

Tank command - $40 w/manual - ebay

Midnight Mutants - $15 new Ebay or atari2600.com cant remember

Double Dragon - $20 new atari2600.com

x2 Mean 18 Golf - $45 (new)- $30 (CIB) - both ebay from one seller, sold one to mcgrail0007

Planet Smashers -

x2 Fatal run - $5 Fleamarket - and i think $20 for a complete one from oesii of AA

Ikari Warriors - im drawing a blank on this one, im thinking $20ish, maybe MMF can remind me ;) - ebay

thats all i can remember right now, but i had 40 games already before i started to buy on ebay, and most of those 40 came from Big lots in 1990 for $1 to $3 per game new, i have all the games with a manual (except for the games released after the 7800 was long dead or UK only)

and one system bought new when it came out, and 4 others ive had over the years i either got for free or paid $5 for them at fleamarkets, but out of those 4 systems ive only had 1 that came with a power supply

Good to know prices are coming down. What I've really wanted recently was Commando. If for nothing else' date=' to hear the music on the game. Since you can't hear it in emulators' date=' it detracts from the experience some for me.[/quote'']

Mitch

I've used both MESS and EMU7800, those being the two found on the emulation page under the 7800 section. I can play Commando just fine. It's just that the music won't play. I get all the sounds (I'm pretty sure, at least), but no music.

Perhaps it's a setting that may not be configured properly? :?

Good to know prices are coming down. What I've really wanted recently was Commando. If for nothing else' date=' to hear the music on the game. Since you can't hear it in emulators' date=' it detracts from the experience some for me.[/quote'']

Mitch

I've used both MESS and EMU7800, those being the two found on the emulation page under the 7800 section. I can play Commando just fine. It's just that the music won't play. I get all the sounds (I'm pretty sure, at least), but no music.

Perhaps it's a setting that may not be configured properly? :?

It's possible that you have an old version of the ROM. Try downloading the one off my web site and try that one and see if it works for you.

Mitch

It's possible that you have an old version of the ROM. Try downloading the one off my web site and try that one and see if it works for you.

Mitch

I did have the old BIOS. So I took your advice and downloaded the newer one. I also updated Emu7800. But for some reason, now the emulator refuses to recognize the BIOS file. Tried to look up some information on it, but all I could come up with was that it needed to be named 7800.rom. Which it is. So what gives with that? :?

Actually, I meant the Commando ROM not the BIOS. I don't think EMU7800 recognizes the corrected 7800 BIOS yet. It was released after the current version of EMU7800. Also, I don't think EMU7800 supports Pokey sound yet either.

Mitch

Thanks for the heads-up on the new BIOS and emulator. I switched out and went to using the older BIOS with MESS. Game runs fine now, and now that I downloaded the "proper" Commando ROM, music is absolutely amazing on this thing.

Now I really gotta get my hands on one of these for my 7800. :D

What would be a fair price for the game given the current 7800 market trends? Don't want to overpay for the game, y'know... being a college student and all.

I would guess economy has something to do with it. The video game collection would not be a bad way to raise at least a little money if you need it relatively quickly.

Also changing priorities in a number of ways. A lot of the people coming into collecting are younger and grew up with Nintendo and Sega, so that's their soft spots, that's what they're into now. And a number of people I know are taking advantage of low interest rates and levelling house prices to buy a house, which means some seriously curtailed collecting budgets.

Eric