IGNORED

Time Warp

SS

I have a CCE version of "Time Warp" and I know that there was a Zellers version of it as well. Both were pretty much pirate companies but I can't seem to determine who the original producer of the game might have been. I'm assuming that it's a re-titled PAL game but does anyone have any more info? Thanks.

s_TimeWarp_1.png

post-1863-1083998454_thumb.jpg

I am afraid CloneSpy can't help here:

0  1  2  3  4

0 Astro Attack (Goliath) (PAL) [!]········   · 99 99 91 90

1 UFO Patrol (Quelle)·····················   =  · 99 91 91

2 Time Race 2 (Funvision) (PAL) [!]·······   =  =  · 91 91

3 Time Warp (Zellers) [!]·················   =  =  =  · 99

4 Time Warp (CCE) [!]·····················   =  =  =  =  ·

As you can see, there are two groups of very identical ROMs, one group is PAL (0..2) and the other one is NTSC (3+4). The differences in those groups are very, very small.

And while the Funvision version is the one most identical on average with all the others, the differences are way too small to be sure which was first.

Thanks for the info Thomas! I didn't have a BIN of "Astro Attack" to try out but "UFO Patrol" and "Time Race 2" do seem to be the same game with only very minor differences from CCE's "Time Warp" (mainly color).

Any ideas about which company may have been the true originator of the game?

My guess would be a European company, I think that Zellers or CCE just NTSC'ified it and copied it from each other.

Although, CCE did release a couple of titles on their own, didn't they? :ponder:

Although, CCE did release a couple of titles on their own, didn't they?  :ponder:

I'm not aware of any. I'm pretty sure that they were the equivalent of a Brazilian Zellers.

After some further investigations of the code, I think Stone Age may be a Technovision game. All three of their games share some code patterns with this one. Most obvious when looking at the graphics only are the score digits.

But I am not 100% sure, especially because the dump produces only 246 scanlines, which is even below the 262 NTSC scanlines and far away from PAL's 312 scanlines. And AFAIK all Technovision games are PAL (though some NTSC versions have been found lately). Maybe it's a prototype that leaked out.

• 4 weeks later...

My guess would be a European company, I think that Zellers or CCE just NTSC'ified it and copied it from each other.

Although, CCE did release a couple of titles on their own, didn't they? :ponder:

There aren't any original releases by CCE AFAIK and since Zellers and Quelle are mainly resellers, I'm assuming that this game was originally released by Goliath or was an unreleased title by a company as yet unknown to the gaming community.