IGNORED

Atari 2600 with Speakers

EricDeLee

last year when I had a yard sale, I remember talking to a guy my age that used to collect Atari Items. When asked if he had any left I was trying to buy him out if possible!!!) he advised that he sold it all.

He mentioned something very curious, but I didn't think about it again until just recently.

He stated that he sold his Atari 2600... and that his Atari 2600 came with speakers built into it.

Now... I've read somewhere before that the original plans were to have speakers included within the Atari 2600 system. Thus the reasoning behind having speaker slots on the older Ataris (I think the Heavy sixers and such).

So my question is... Did Atari produce any out there that came with speakers? I kind of laughed at the guy last year and I simply thought that he was just foolish and didn't know what he was talking about. But now... I wonder.

Perhaps it was just a homebrew type of thing, but who knows. Perhaps it was some type of prototype.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that he saw the speaker cut-outs in it from the top, and assumed they were in there. On my six-switch, you can see the cut-outs easily, but there are no speakers.

I suppose it'd probably be doable to put speakers in there as a homebrew project, but you'd also have to find someplace to mount a volume knob.

In addition to speaker grilles in the top of the case, heavy sixers have speaker mounting risers in the bottom of the case. I don't think it would be too tough to hack in a set of speakers, but I wouldn't want to alter my heavy 6.

-S