IGNORED

NEW OS ideas

TXG/MNX

Hi,

I was looking at DIAMOND GOS (Cartridge version) and I am still impressed by this GEM interface.

It's easy to use with mouse and pretty fast. The disadvantage is that because it uses so much RAM so lot's of software doesn't run :(

When looking at this and some other OS systems like LUNIX and CONTIKI on the C64, I thought it would be much easier now to write a new OS for the 8-bit. There are memory upgrades of 1Mb and cartridges which can hold MB's of data.

I also wonder how much RAM a GEM would need in the first 64kb when the program data and buffers are stored in XE extended memory. When this is just a few bytes I think it will run most of the software ...

Hi,

I was looking at DIAMOND GOS (Cartridge version) and I am still impressed by this GEM interface.

It's easy to use with mouse and pretty fast. The disadvantage is that because it uses so much RAM so lot's of software doesn't run  :(  

When looking at this and some other OS systems like LUNIX and CONTIKI on the C64, I thought it would be much easier now to write a new OS for the 8-bit. There are memory upgrades of 1Mb and cartridges which can hold MB's of data.

I also wonder how much RAM a GEM would need in the first 64kb when the program data and buffers are stored in XE extended memory. When this is just a few bytes I think it will run most of the software ...

I have an copy of an Analog Magazine some where that was talking about that Atari was releasing an A-8 GEM there was suppose to be a 48K disk ver. and a 64K cartridge ver. (In the time of the XEGM) Have any on seen these? :ponder:

I think Contiki is our best bet for a new OS.

It has built in TCP/IP support, a multi-tasking kernel, GUI themes, a modular architecture.

All that really needs to be done on the Atari side (as far as I can see) is to get the ethernet cartridge interface done (Chris Martin's website says he is almost finished this.) A graphical GUI could be written, probably. The atari really needs to utilize extended memory though (and as far as I know this isn't implemented by anyone yet) because of the limited memory compared to the C64.

I have an copy of an Analog Magazine some where that was talking about that Atari was releasing an A-8 GEM there was suppose to be a 48K disk ver. and a 64K cartridge ver. (In the time of the XEGM) Have any on seen these? :ponder:

The GEM you're talking about was DIAMOND GOS there is a diskversion but this is pretty useless. The Cartridge version is much better. But Reevesoft was asking to much money for this and Atari didn't take the 8-bit line that serious... this is to bad because Diamond GOS was a GOOD graphical OS. It even has some nice applications, like a word-processor, paint and newsroom and there was an development kit for it.

Would love to see something like it only diskbased running for 99% in extended memory 8)

I think Contiki is our best bet for a new OS.

It has built in TCP/IP support, a multi-tasking kernel, GUI themes, a modular architecture.

All that really needs to be done on the Atari side (as far as I can see) is to get the ethernet cartridge interface done (Chris Martin's website says he is almost finished this.)  A graphical GUI could be written, probably.  The atari really needs to utilize extended memory though (and as far as I know this isn't implemented by anyone yet) because of the limited memory compared to the C64.

I have been talking with Mark from Sunmark (www.sunmark.com). He is starting to look at what it will take to have boards manufatured. I was going to make the boards myself, but I am running short on time (my first child is on the way... :) ).

The current Contiki Port makes use of just the "text" GUI, but the software is fairly modular and an Atari GUI front end can be done. And, yes, Memory is definitely an issue. The web browser doesn't fit into the Atari Memory with the new Contiki 2.0 software.... grrr...

Like I said, I am short on time, but I will place the 2.0 sources on my website. I did fix the packet drop issue by only parsing incoming packets during VBI.

The GEM you're talking about was DIAMOND GOS there is a diskversion but this is pretty useless. The Cartridge version is much better. But Reevesoft was asking to much money for this and Atari didn't take the 8-bit line that serious... this is to bad because Diamond GOS was a GOOD graphical OS. It even has some nice applications, like a word-processor, paint and newsroom and there was an development kit for it.

Would love to see something like it only diskbased running for 99% in extended memory 8)

That's it, but I read it an Analog Magazine I'm sure of it but any way.

How hard is it get one of these DIAMOND GOS disk or cart?

What format did it support SS/SD, SS/DD, DD/DD or 360K of the XF551?

Can any old Atari software can be used with DIAMOND GOS it?

That's it, but I read it an Analog Magazine I'm sure of it but any way.

How hard is it get one of these DIAMOND GOS disk or cart?

What format did it support SS/SD, SS/DD, DD/DD or 360K of the XF551?

Can any old Atari software can be used with DIAMOND GOS it?

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v8n2/diamondsystem.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v9n2/reeve.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n10/newproducts.html

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v9n1/interview.html

Allan