IGNORED

Why do these go for so much?

So then what version of DOS takes advantage of the 551's features?

For the record, I lived in Rockford IL, for a month. I normally live in Milwaukee, Wi. When I was in IL the Toy's R US had 2 551's still in box nobody was ever going to buy.

So I bought 1 for 19.99 new. They practically pleaded with me to take the other. I didn't have another 20.

This was in 1994 If I remeber right.

Dan

So then what version of DOS takes advantage of the 551's features?

For the record, I lived in Rockford IL, for a month. I normally live in Milwaukee, Wi. When I was in IL the Toy's R US had 2 551's still in box nobody was ever going to buy.  

So I bought 1 for 19.99 new. They practically pleaded with me to take the other. I didn't have another 20.

This was in 1994 If I remeber right.

Dan

You'll be able to use the extended capabilities of the XF551 with any good DOS (e.g. Sparta DOS, MyDOS, BiboDOS). I'd recommend contacting the Surburan Chicago Atarians; they'd be more than happy to set you up with something.

The average winning auction price for XF551s on eBay seems to be in the range of $50-$75. I wouldn't say they're the rarest 8-bit drive around -- just try to find an Astra 2001! -- and they tend to be rather fragile, but yes, they can be easily modded to the 3.5" format.