IGNORED

1987 Air-Sea Battle

King Atari

Picked up a 1987 copy of Air-Sea Battle for $1.50 today. Normally, I would've passed the game up, as I already have two or three regular copies, but this is the first time I've found a re-release of one of the early games, a la 1986 Home Run. They also had a 1987 Stargate, but the label was pretty torn, so I passed. Has anyone else seen this variation, or more importantly, does anyone know what it's worth?

A 1987 Air-Sea Battle... is it just me or does it seem like an awful lot of these latter-1980s re-releases of earlier classic have surfaced recently?

Just seems like I'm hearing more and more about these re-release carts here lately. Just wondering if it's been this way all along or if this is something that's just recently cropped up. :?

They are much harder to find around here, this is the first I've seen. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's anything over a 4, but it's still a neat cart to have, especially since it's a 1st gen title. I wonder why they took the fuji logo off the re-release labels, though. I can understand the date change, but the only place it mentions Atari is at the bottom. Copyright 1987 Atari Corp.

A 1987 Air-Sea Battle... is it just me or does it seem like an awful lot of these latter-1980s re-releases of earlier classic have surfaced recently?

My feeling is that, as a group, we all are just starting to pay more attention to the wide amount of variations that are out there. At least I know that I am.

My goal is the same as most other people here, to collect every single Atari 2600 game there ever was and we all know how easy that is!!, but there would have a be a big difference in the appearance of two carts of the same game for me to buy it. Just because a game came out in 82 and the same cart comes out again in 87 would not be enough for me to want to buy it, now take Apollo games for a second, they made a set of games with a blue box then they made the same game with different colored boxes like the games Infiltrate & Lost Luggage, now that I will buy, but not just because it has a different date.

:ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

What about the Activision carts with different screen shots on the labels? If you look at Kaboom for example there is one that has a color screenshot and one with a BW screenshot. I can post a pic of the 2 if anyone wants to see them :ponder: There are others that I've got as well with 2 different labels. Bridge, Barnstorming, Grand Prix come to mind at the moment.

Funny someone brought this up, I found a CIB 1987 Air-Sea Battle a few weeks ago for 2 bucks, with black and white manual and all. The fuji logo is still present on my copy, it's just a lot smaller and white instead of black (it's tucked away in the bottom left corner of the picture). I think it's interesting that Atari choosed to use the font featured on original game boxes on the title logo.