IGNORED

HSC Week 3...Robotron!

Cousin Vinnie

Alright, another Arcade Classic has us in the mood for love.

Anyone can enter the contest. Visit the Atari 7800 website for the results from previous weeks and more glorious colors.

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800

There will be two new additional point standings races as well as the main points standings list. This is just for fun, but this way more people will be in the running for Titles of some sort.

You can compete for imaginary cash and prizes in:

1) The Total Points Standings List

2) The 7800 Arcade Points Standings List (for Arcade conversions)

3) The 7800 Domestic Points Standings List (For Atari orignals and Computer conversions)

Anyway, hope this adds to the fun :)

Cousin Vinnie

Here are the Total Point Standings:

1. Jedi Jeff 13pts

1. Trip Cannon 13pts

3. Cousin Vinnie 12pts

4. Rockman X 8pts

5. Shannon 5pts

6. NE146 4pts

6. Goochman 4pts

8. Atari Wizard

8. BJK

8. CShell

I hope we are playing this on "Expert" difficulty because I just played one game on "Intermedeate" and my score was 992,250 on wave 38.

I am going to play a game on expert right now and see what I get.

I have been getting a lot of practice on Midway Arcade Treasures. I play that quite a bit at default arcade difficulty.

I agree. Expert mode is a challenging mode for this game.

I played on Novice level and looped the wave counter... got through 117 waves with a near 4,000,000 score.

I tried intermediate and I got a touch over 600,000.

However, on expert I have the meager offer of 174,925 in (a pathetic) 9 waves. Of course, it has been about 5 years since I really dug into a nice game of Robotron. Hopefully I'll get my skill back again soon.

But here's my picture for submittal anyway.

post-616-1084775252_thumb.png

How are you guys playing this.. with 2 joysticks?

I'm using the two joystick setting through the emulator. The gamepad that I have for my PC is very similar to a PS2 controller, so I just set up the control pad for the first joystick and the face buttons for the other joystick (similar to how all the arcade classic collection things that have Robotron are configured). Seems to be the easiest way to play the game. But then again on expert mode, such a setup is almost necessary. For me, it is, anyway.

I think we should use the expert setting as well.

Jeff

I am playing it on Expert.

This game is pretty contest proof also. If you let it go back to the title screen it will show your score and difficulty setting. And if you try to change the difficulty after that your score will dissappear.

I have been getting around 140k on waves 10 and 11, I don't know how rockman_x_2002 got 174k in 9 waves. (he must be picking up all the people)

Guess I'll use 2 joysticks. I do know that if I had a pad with a diamond button configuration on the right, I'd kick mighty ass :D But for these competitions.. it's real hardware or nothing I've decided for myself. Maybe I'll duct tape 2 2600 controllers together and see how that works :P

Incidentally, my high in the arcade game default level is over a million at default difficulty. I've also hit the million on a pad in Williams Arcade Classics for the psx but it did take me a while to adjust and it's rare I get that high. So let's see how that translates to the 7800! :thumbsup:

So... Expert level it is? Are we all in agreement? What's the deal :P

Finally... a score worthy of holding on to.

714,350 at Wave 27 I think (I really am not sure because I lost track, but the last number I saw was 27 though). The brain waves were very generous to me, placing the folks in the center of the arena so I could grab a good many of them (along with a couple extra lives or so) before dying.

post-616-1084855688_thumb.png

Maybe I'll duct tape 2 2600 controllers together and see how that works :P

This is funny as hell, as soon as I got my cuttle cart 2 I remember everyone raving over marbel craze I just used some clear packing tape to secure my two paddles together in the right arrangement. Worked great with no residue left behind. Fun game too :D

Well I tried playing it with 2 joysticks and it was difficult.. but on the default level I got to about 100k and stopped. So I decided to try it via emulation so I could try it with my sidewinder. I downloaded MESS, figured it out for a bit.. then after I finally configured it properly, tried playing it using the right buttons for joystick 2. And it was a lot easier! But man I felt dirty.

Thing about emulators is of course SAVE STATES. I mean obviously with them anyone and their brother could score anything they want. Naturally that goes against the honor system here.. but hey, how would any of you know? The answer is.. you wouldn't! :lol: Anyway here's my score on my first attempt:

Emulator used: MESS

Level: EXPERT

Controller: MS Sidewinder

Savestates: hell no :P

Stage: forgot.. and it goes away.. I think it was 14?

Score: 362,875

I'm gonna try it via emu one more time.. I gotta admit, for Robotron, the control comfort is addicting. :ponder:

post-31-1084868949_thumb.jpg

Hey Trip, my goof up. I'm sure you knew that. I fixed it for ya.

And I guess I have the final say so on this, but I am NOT a Robotron expert or anything so after seeing those crazy scores I'm gonna agree with the people who know on this one.

Let's play this one on Expert Level!

CV

I just realized that I suck badly at this game. Couple that with the fact that I don't find it very fun and the Cousin Vinnie fans need to bet on someone else this week.

I will get something up by Friday that will be halfway decent tho.

Cousin Vinnie

PS: the 7800 HSC webpage has been updated...

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800

Maybe you're playing it with only one joystick? Part of what MAKES Robotron the game is the ability to move in one direction and shoot in another. This total independence of both movement and shots is integral to playing this game and making it fun. Any other way.. and it's no fun, and you're up shit creek :P

Or maybe you know that already but just thought I'd throw it in ;)

I just realized that I suck badly at this game. Couple that with the fact that I don't find it very fun and the Cousin Vinnie fans need to bet on someone else this week.

I will get something up by Friday that will be halfway decent tho.

Good lord man... you're not the only one... :(