IGNORED

HSC Week 3...Robotron!

Cousin Vinnie

Maybe you're playing it with only one joystick? Part of what MAKES Robotron the game is the ability to move in one direction and shoot in another. This total independence of both movement and shots is integral to playing this game and making it fun. Any other way.. and it's no fun, and you're up shit creek :P

You can read in my review how I play :)

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800/robotronr.html

Cousin Vinnie

Well I'll go ahead and add my measly score of 262925.

I didn't take a picture at the time cause I thought I'd eventually beat it. Yet I have not even come close.

Had a couple games where I thought I was doing real good, then realized I was on "advanced" mode.

Doh!

Someone might wanna post the scores at the beginning of this thread so it is easier for people to see how they stand in the current rankings.

I have been getting around 140k on waves 10 and 11, I don't know how rockman_x_2002 got 174k in 9 waves. (he must be picking up all the people)

The trick is to pick up as many people at one time as you can before dying. The bonus goes 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, and when you die, it goes back to 1000 again. So the humans are worth a lot more points if you try to leave them alone until the dangerous things (brains, tanks, circles) are out of the way first. You can often get two free men just from picking up a lot of 5000 point humans.

And don't shoot that last robot until the humans are picked up! Be doubly careful in a brains level, because you don't want a brain to be the last robot.

Nobody can edit or add the scores anymore.. :(

The person running the contest should go to Albert and ask to be a temporary moderator on this particular forum.

That is what they did for Ze_ro (2600 HSC) and Goochman (8bit HSC)

I heard someone say it was disabled but I knew that Ze_ro and goochman were updating their lists.

So whoever is moderating the 7800 HSC should talk to albert like bjk7382 said

... You can often get two free men just from picking up a lot of 5000 point humans.

And don't shoot that last robot until the humans are picked up!  Be doubly careful in a brains level, because you don't want a brain to be the last robot.

Once again, this is exactly how I got my high scores. Saving the people, keep getting those 5000 bonuses and grab two or three extra lives in each brain wave (and one or two inbetween those stages). Although I have to admit it's rather tough on the brain waves to make sure the last robot remaining is not a brain (as most of the time that's what happened to me). You have to be on your toes if it is. Now that's not to say you can't still rack up some serious points if you have a brain left, but trust me... you'll be much better off as Bruce has mentioned. :D

In case you do leave the last remaining brain, here's something that might help if you haven't already been doing this. First, be careful not to shoot in the general direction of the brain. Even if the brain has shot at you, make sure that the beam is in another direction before trying to get rid of it. This will ensure that the brain will survive while you gather the folks. Also, since the brain doesn't move fast, go for the people nearest the brain. This will help ease the situation also and can ensure a maximum rescue coverage.

The brain waves aren't the problem for me, it's those circles that spit out all those shooting things, and the ones that shoot out computer looking things. Obviously I don't know what they're called. :roll: On the expert level there are too many things to shoot through and too many indestructable robots in the way to kill the circles early. Which leads to trouble fast.

Jeff

nevertrust an emu :ponder:

The brain waves aren't the problem for me, it's those circles that spit out all those shooting things, and the ones that shoot out computer looking things. Obviously I don't know what they're called.  :roll:  On the expert level there are too many things to shoot through and too many indestructable robots in the way to kill the circles early. Which leads to trouble fast.

Jeff

nevertrust an emu :ponder:

Yeah I have the same problem. Sometimes I'm lucky and can clearn them quickly. I found staying near the bottom makes it easier to shoot the shots, but if there are too many I get overwhelmed.

If you see a bunch of humans near eachother on this level, grab em quick!

Well I took cousin Vinnie's advice and tried it out that way. But unfortunately I have carpet and only original 2600 sticks. But hey it worked! I sat there crouched basically holding the sticks sorta with my feet.. :ponder:

Anyway, here's my first try on REAL hardware: 361,900. Could I do better? I think so :) But my back kinda feels a little cramped at the moment :lol:

The brain waves aren't the problem for me, it's those circles that spit out all those shooting things

The circles (Spheroids) aren't a problem, it's the ENFORCERS they spawn which throw sparks at you :P The secret to handling Enforcers is.. charge them! When you are close to them, both they and the sparks they shoot will be far slower. The further away you are, then the faster they are, so get close to em and fire away!

Also, the sparks tend to slide along the wall.. so if you're running away along a wall while Enforcers are firing at you, try to stay about a half an inch away from the border. The problem with 7800 Robotron though, is unlike the arcade, it doesn't show you the border. :ponder: But still.

post-31-1085106010_thumb.jpg

post-31-1085106011_thumb.jpg

Well I did manage to surpass my previous score but only by a little. I doubt I'll do much better before the end.

Here is the pick. And yes it is from the expert game. I was hitting around the high 400 thousands on advanced.

post-3211-1085181816_thumb.png

For some reason this game gets frustrating way to fast.

My high score on expert is only 271,575.

Jeff

Yeah the difficulty curve is rather high. But advanced is a little too easy.

Not very well balanced. I can flip thru the first 3-4 levels easily, then it is downhill from there.