IGNORED

Packaging Question

Mendon

Lately I've been noticing many software titles in eBay auctions are being sold not in boxes but in plastic "blister packs" (for lack of a better term). Here's a link to such an auction: Jumpman Jr..

I know when I bought this game new it came in a box and that was the only way I ever saw it. Does anyone know when these plastic cases first started being used and why? Are these, by chance, re-releases that the companies did to cut costs during a slow period of sales? Or maybe these were sold by 3rd party companies at cut-out prices after they bought them for almost nothing from Epyx, etc?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Mendon

Couldn't edit my post so I'd like to add that this is also the first time I've seen Jumpman Jr. on disk. Mine is on cart and that's the only way I've ever saw it. So, since this game is on disk and is also a flippie for C64, maybe these were re-releases by a 3rd party company?

Mendon

Hi,

Are these, by chance, re-releases that the companies did to cut costs during a slow period of sales?

these are indeed re-releases (by "Value-U-Line", a software division of Epyx).

There exists a re-release of Pitstop in Blister-Pak too:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_8bits.php?me...EDITEUR_ID=1649

André

P.s.: There exist two different boxes for the regular "Jumpman Junior"-release by Epyx.

Thanks for the info, guys; much appreciated!

I remember seeing "spinner racks" with cheap software packs quite frequently in the past. Just never remembered seeing Epyx games on them and never knew that Epyx re-released some of their cart games on disk.

Thanks again.

Mendon