IGNORED

I got my CC2s. Am I the last?

Merrick Bill

I finally got my CC2s. They actually arrived Thursday (one day early) but I was out of town until today. So I signed the card and FedEx left the package at my doorstep.

I had a little trouble setting it up. I kept getting MMC errors. Finally, I remformatted the MMC and from then on it worked great. I play no game for more than a minute before I reset and check out another game.

I used the Atari Goodset that Big Mike posted and about half the games were recognized by the program. I havent' even bothered trying to figure out how to use the ones that arent' recognized. I'm hoping over time people will start adding those games to the recognized list.

What a blast! I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Bill

It takes a couple of hours to write all of the unrecognized games to your menu and to rename the BINs to 8-character format. Once you do the initial work, however, it's then pretty easy to add new entries one at a time.

It takes a couple of hours to write all of the unrecognized games to your menu and to rename the BINs to 8-character format.  Once you do the initial work, however, it's then pretty easy to add new entries one at a time.

Did you use 2K or 4K and 78BIOS for all of them?

Does this work mostly?

We could have a program:

1. use the original name as the menu name.

2. use 2K for 2K games or 4K for 4K games

otherwise don't use?

3. always use 78BIOS

4. Cut the original down to 8.3 and if a file is not already there, use it, otherwise rename / keep trying.

If a game is bigger than 4K, I guess you will need to know the bank switching.

Here's some PM'ed questions and answers to and from bjk7382:

Hey' date='

I finally got my CCII up and running! I've got a bunch o' BINs that the Menu Generator didn't recognize. You said that you've been working on editing yours. How do you know what bankswitching config. and startup code to tell it to use for each game?

- SS[/quote']

That is the hard part. You have to open up the menu.txt file on the mmc. Edit it by putting in the lines for the new games. Make sure the format (tabs) corresponds to the games that are already in there. It is pretty easy to get the bankswitching right, 4K for 4K cartriges, F8 for 8K carts. 16K carts are usually F6, but sometimes they use the superchip, then you have to put in F6SC. 99% of the time you just use the 78BIOS startup file, but sometimes you need to use a different one. (It is best if you read the bankswitching page in the manual. )

After you edit the menu.txt file you have to convert it to the menu.cc2 file. Do that by using the "CC2 Menu Converter" program. If you have any errors you will need to go back and fix them. It is pretty picky about the tabs on the page (especially when you are using all 40 charachters of the menu line)

I would suggest only editing small portions at a time and then run it thru the converter, so if you have errors you will know how to not do it on the next section you edit.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, but this is probly the hardest thing set up on it. After you learn how to manually edit the menu file you will be able to do anything you want with it. The bankswitching page of the manual will probly explain the special 16 and 8K cartriges better than I ever could.

After you get an idea of how to do it, I can help you out with specific games that have special startup files.

Thanks for the advice. I've managed to figure out the settings for almost everything except for Nukey's "Hack Em" and "Hanglyman" hacks and the Starpath "Labyrinth" prototype. Have you tried any of these?

I don't think I have "Hack Em"' date=' but if an 8K rom won't work, it is likely it is a "special" one that starts on a different bank. Hangly man is this way and it should have:

F8 (bannkswitching) and [b']F8BANK1 (startup file)[/b]

F6 (16k games) also sometimes start on a different bank and for those you put F6BANK0 on the startup file.

Yup! That did the trick! :thumbsup:

Thanks' date='

SS[/quote']

Yeah there are a few little things like that when adding stuff manually, but F6 and F8 are the only ones that have the different startup files sometimes.