IGNORED

2600 Roms Collection and CRC database.

Greg Zumwalt

An ACE archive? With SFX? That's really Windows-ist of you. I absolutely hated ACE a few years back because of lack of an open-source ACE 2 extractor (I use a Mac). And their Linux command line version was actually user-hostile. (Things like "Do you really want me to extract the next part of this archive?" with 10-second timeouts that abort to the command line.) I haven't touched an ACE archive in at least two years. I thought that thing had died a well-deserved death already.

Not to mention that it's bad practice to use SFX archives because of potential virus problems. You just don't want to get too comfortable with using them.

Could you re-consider and use RAR (www.rarlabs.com) instead? It's quite decently cross-platform, which is why all the people trading DivX files use it.

At least it's not 7-zip.

Thomas, right you are.

Forgive me...

I did in deed run Good2600 prior, and of the 300+ unknowns I had, it was able to identify 11. That left me with trying CloneSpy, manual testing, and a whole lot of www hunting.

After many grueling hours of research, I stopped at just 16 remaining unknowns posted as 2600 bins.

Just before archiving, I was sent another batch of roms and threw them in...

and that was my mistake, I didn't completely check them or I'd have caught that the unknown_protos were sources, not BINs.

As such, I have removed 7 files from the archive.

I will also have several more recent hacks to throw in to it.

I was planning to wait until I had more before making a new updated, however, with the removal, additions, and changing of format, will work on the update soon.

Saikyo...

Yes, the I'm a Dumb Stupid @ss commitee can indeed be fought, and even beaten, but only if you are very patient, have a lot of nerve, and most importatly, are in the legal right.

It is not something I reccomend risking just because you want a complete rom set for your emulator.

and Bruce Tomlin...

while you make a good point that this is a windows only selfectractor, a condition that did not even occure to me, I think it inappropriate that you should take over half a post to bash a utility merely because if failted to meet your expectations. A simple request to use another method would have been quite sufficient.

As to SFX archives, true, their is a risk...

but, that was also my choice for ACE, as it can do multipart, has a built in CRC test, and can lock the archive from any alterations.

The only reason I split the archive, is that the host only allows a max of 650Kb upload :/ And, since I know how much of a pain it is to get a software just to extract a file, SFX seemed best.

Bashing and your personal dislike for ACE aside, I will look at a cross OS archive option and repost the updated archive soon.

I did in deed run Good2600 prior, and of the 300+ unknowns I had, it was able to identify 11.  That left me with trying CloneSpy, manual testing, and a whole lot of www hunting.

After many grueling hours of research, I stopped at just 16 remaining unknowns posted as 2600 bins.

Just before archiving, I was sent another batch of roms and threw them in...

and that was my mistake, I didn't completely check them or I'd have caught that the unknown_protos were sources, not BINs.

As such, I have removed 7 files from the archive.

Fine! (but IIRC there are a few more)

I am trying to check those unknown or bad binaries with CloneSpy and see if I can find some more information there. Maybe some are not even bad dumps but just random bytes.

A simple request to use another method would have been quite sufficient.

Speaking as another Mac user, consider this a simple request to offer the roms in another format. Thanks for making them available in any case.

-S

Greg, when you switched file types, did you happen to omit the "C" and "D" file(s) by mistake????

I downloaded the files to my laptop before you switched the archive format and it was fine. I just now downloaded the "rar" update on my main pc and the bin files skip from B right to E

??

and Bruce Tomlin...

while you make a good point that this is a windows only selfectractor, a condition that did not even occure to me, I think it inappropriate that you should take over half a post to bash a utility merely because if failted to meet your expectations.  A simple request to use another method would have been quite sufficient.

Because more often than not, people who use non-standard archivers generally don't understand why it's a bad idea, and it has to be explained why it's a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...