IGNORED

Cassette Tapes

Mendon

Just curious... does anyone here still play games using cassettes?

I've seen a few software titles recently on eBay that have interested me because I used to have them but no longer do. But when I click on the auction description I find the games are on cassette. While I enjoy "re-living my past" and aquiring games I used to play many years ago, I'm not sure I want to "re-live my past" enough to put up with tape loading :D

So, just curious if anyone plays games from cassettes anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

Anyone know the commands to load a program from cassette?

Been a long, long time since I have done so but I **think** (only on 2nd cup of coffee so mind is only working at 5%) its just CLOAD and return. CSAVE to save.

Mendon

Anyone know the commands to load a program from cassette?

Been a long, long time since I have done so but I **think** (only on 2nd cup of coffee so mind is only working at 5%) its just CLOAD and return. CSAVE to save.

Mendon

IF it's written in tokenized Atari Basic. For machine language programs, you'll need to use the process above instead.

Incidentally, it's better to use LIST"C:" instead of CSAVE or SAVE"C:" (since ENTER"C:" is less prone to error than CLOAD or LOAD"C:"). The bad news is that ENTER"C:" can only load programs saved via LIST"C:"...i.e. your own...since that format is so much slower.

IF it's written in tokenized Atari Basic.  For machine language programs, you'll need to use the process above instead.

Incidentally, it's better to use LIST"C:" instead of CSAVE or SAVE"C:" (since ENTER"C:" is less prone to error than CLOAD or LOAD"C:").  The bad news is that ENTER"C:" can only load programs saved via LIST"C:"...i.e. your own...since that format is so much slower.

Thanks for the info, Nukey; much appreciated! Been a long time since I did any cassette use so the mind is a little foggy... and senile :)

Since I couldn't afford a DD when I bought my first 800, I used an 810 to play purchased games and to save all my work from Antic & Analog with their type-in programs. Once I bought a DD I don't believe I've ever used the cassette again.

But seeing those CIB cassette games on eBay sure brought back memories. Just don't know if I could bring myself to go back to using a tape drive again.

Mendon

Well I had all of my cassette games out about six months ago and played the hell out of them together with my son. Sure it takes a while to load the games but whattaheck that's when you get to read the manual and really imagine just how great the game will be to play once it's finished loading :D

/Troop

i thought the inlay was for reading on the bus home after getting the game...?! =-)

hehe well that's of course also true but if you're lucky there are lots of screenshots that you can drool over and imagine how great the game will be to play, until you start the game and discover that it looks nothing like the screenshots which, after close examination, turns out to be: "screenshots taken from Atari ST version" :wink:

Cheers!

/Troop

I've only got the one cassette, its got snooker on one side and billiards on the other. Got it from an AA member a while ago (can't remember who). Anyway, I tried the Cload command and I keep getting errors as its loading:

Error 29

Error 121

Error 139

Tried both sides. Similar error messages. Think the tape is just bad?

hmmm, I looked in one of my inlays (The Last V8 btw) and it says: "Loading instructions, Press PLAY on cassette recorder. Hold down START button while switching on the computer. Press RETURN, programme will now load."

Don't know if this helps you at all?

/Troop

I've only got the one cassette, its got snooker on one side and billiards on the other. Got it from an AA member a while ago (can't remember who). Anyway, I tried the Cload command and I keep getting errors as its loading:

Error 29

Error 121

Error 139

Tried both sides. Similar error messages. Think the tape is just bad?

I dunno how 29 and 121 would pertain to the 410/1010...but 139 is the code for device non-acknowledgement (i.e. defice or software failure).

About the only thing you can do at that point is to dub the cassette onto a new one and cross your fingers.

Error codes:

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un55/Har.../Ref/errors.txt

Well this is a commerical product, not a copy so I don't know if that makes a difference. I just went from the beginning of the tape. BTW, I might be off on the error numbers in my previous post. I've got the 800XL in the basement and the computer upstairs in my office. Guess I forgot the code along the way.

I'll try the other suggestion though.

Yup, if I were you I'd try the Start & Option way. I think that'll work (at least I hope so so that I don't look like a complete fool :) . )

/Troop

You are not a fool today! I tried your suggestion and it worked! :D Both games play great (Now I just need to figure out how to play snooker). Actually, this will probably end up in my trade list.

But thanks Trooper. I learned something new today!

I have 7 tape games, the longest one to load is Astro Chase which takes over 11 minutes to load. (of course I don't load any of them now that I have my sio2pc adaptor)

They all work, but I have one I don't know how to play.

Meltdown at Megalopolis. Anyone have any info on what the point of this game is?

I have 7 tape games, the longest one to load is Astro Chase which takes over 11 minutes to load. (of course I don't load any of them now that I have my sio2pc adaptor)

They all work, but I have one I don't know how to play.  

Meltdown at Megalopolis. Anyone have any info on what the point of this game is?

I don't know if this is of any help to you but I found it buried deep down on my harddrive and thought you might wanna check it out? :)

meltdown.zip

I don't know if this is of any help to you but I found it buried deep down on my harddrive and thought you might wanna check it out?  :)

That looks like it would help me. I tried to load the .atr I had of it, and it locked up, so I got out the tape and tried to load it, but my damn tape drive just ate the tape so it is creased in a spot and fails when I try to load it. :|

I will look around for an disk image that doesn't crash on me (maybe it is because it is an XL) but then again the tape used to load fine before I got my sio2pc.

Just curious... does anyone here still play games using cassettes?  

I've seen a few software titles recently on eBay that have interested me because I used to have them but no longer do. But when I click on the auction description I find the games are on cassette. While I enjoy "re-living my past" and aquiring games I used to play many years ago, I'm not sure I want to "re-live my past" enough to put up with tape loading  :D  

So, just curious if anyone plays games from cassettes anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

I like to get them off e-Bay there are cheap and you have 50/50 chance of them working if thay are used :sad: Then I'll dump them to disk! ;)