IGNORED

Can Sega gamepads be used with XL/XE?

doncleth

Hi guys,

At the markets, I just noticed there's a lot of 9-pin Sega gamepads / arcade sticks. Can they be used with the XL/XE?

Regards,

Don

P.S. I just scored a brand new 7800 Proline joystick and it looks good on my 130XE. :) Although I read in the ST forum that they should not be used with Atari ST. I wonder why.

Years ago someone told me it wasn't a good idea to use Sega controllers

on the Amiga systems because it could cause some type of damage. It

seems like a silly computer-myth now, but is there any truth to that?

kvn

No damage will occur to your atari using them, and yes they will work on the atari.  In fact I used to use them until I got my hands on some 7800 prostyle sticks.

Wait a minute here. Are you saying those generic genesis controllers will work on a 7800 no problem. Are both buttons functional? If so I'll have to pick up a bag of them on my next thrift trip.

No damage will occur to your atari using them, and yes they will work on the atari.  In fact I used to use them until I got my hands on some 7800 prostyle sticks.

Wait a minute here. Are you saying those generic genesis controllers will work on a 7800 no problem. Are both buttons functional? If so I'll have to pick up a bag of them on my next thrift trip.

No I was saying that I liked to use the genesis pad's for my atari systems (2600, atari 8-bit, etc) until I got a hold of some 7800 prostyle sticks (which are atari's version of a pad). I now use those.

And like someone said ealier, only one button works on the 7800 so you can only play one button games.

Hi it was me who said that sega pads cannot be used on the ST! ;)

However I dont know if they can be used on the XL/XE as I have never owned one.

Atari joysticks or sega may work but ill have to do more research before I can tell

you this for sure.

Best Regards, and ill try to find something as quickly as possible ;)

I wonder if one of those redemption things they sell here at atariage would work. There's one that allows Genny controllers for the 5200. I'd pay the price for one that would do the same on the 7800. Genny controllers are so easy and cheap to come by, I think they'd be perfect.

The redemption adapter for the 2600/genny pads, will still only make it work with one button.

• 2 weeks later...