IGNORED

Why has the price of the Columbia Home Arcade dropped?

I was told by someone that the Columbia Home Arcade used to sell for $300 plus. Now this was before I really followed 2600 auctions so I haven't seen any sell for this much myself, but I thought these systems are considered rare and valuable. I listed one on eBay and had to relist it a couple of times before it sold. Now I have another one up on eBay and I think the price is pretty reasonable, but once again it is just sitting there with no bids.

Are most collectors just interested in rare games and not the rare systems?

Here is a link to the auction if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I watched your auctions and I think people are insane, that is one of the rarest 2600 systems out there and you had to relist it what, 3 times?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. :roll:

Although you don't have the original PSU. :ponder:

* runs for cover *

EDIT: This system is more rare than the 2800 IMHO. 8)

I watched your auctions and I think people are insane, that is one of the rarest 2600 systems out there and you had to relist it what, 3 times?  

Stupid, stupid, stupid.  :roll:  

Although you don't have the original PSU.  :ponder:  

* runs for cover *

EDIT: This system is more rare than the 2800 IMHO.  8)

I had two Columbia Home Arcade systems. The first one I listed on eBay 2 or 3 times and it did not have the original power supply. The one that is listed on eBay now does come with the original power supply and it works but the nameplate on the power supply is peeling off.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.  :roll:  

Although you don't have the original PSU.  :ponder:  

* runs for cover *

EDIT: This system is more rare than the 2800 IMHO.  8)

You really think so? I've never seen a 2800 and I've seen a couple Columbia's. If I had more money to throw around I'd be all over this just for the funky cool controllers.

Someone should pounce on this. It is a good price.

Yep, I really think so, I have seen 10 Atari 2800's or so vs. maybe 2 or 3 CBS systems for sale. Shit, nobody even knows if there was a box to the CBS system and I've seen tons of 2800 boxes.   ;)

Ture, this item is rare, but doesnt seem to sell that Well on ebay, Unless it is complete with the box. :)

Why has the price of the Columbia Home Arcade dropped?

I've noticed a general pattern here: there are roughly 10-20 hardcore collectors out there who will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. Once those few have finished buying, the prices for certain items then drop in price dramatically. Three perfect examples: Chase the Chuckwagon, Waterworld and the overall price of 5200 items.

I was told by someone that the Columbia Home Arcade used to sell for $300 plus.  Now this was before I really followed 2600 auctions so I haven't seen any sell for this much myself, but I thought these systems are considered rare and valuable.  I listed one on eBay and had to relist it a couple of times before it sold.  Now I have another one up on eBay and I think the price is pretty reasonable, but once again it is just sitting there with no bids.

Are most collectors just interested in rare games and not the rare systems?  

Here is a link to the auction if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107590837&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

i'v never seen them go for very much, even boxed! maybe it was the same person that told me he thinks they are worth 200+ loose :roll:

Rick

Is that a paddle on the controller, below the joystick? Man, that would be kick ass to have it all right there instead of plugging in another controller.

You still gotta use a Y connector, so both paddles go into one jack.

Still, it was a pretty good and responsive controller over all.

Columbia Home Arcade game systems are most desirable when they come with Columbia Home Arcade controllers, power supply, television switch and instructions. A box, if one exists, would be very desirable. Most serious collectors that would be happy with a Columbia Home Arcade console without the other Columbia Home Arcade items already have one. I got mine several years ago on eBay for about $35.00. Likewise, most serious collectors that want a Heavy Sixer and don't care if it has the original controllers, box or power supply already have one, which is why the price of Heavy Sixers keeps dropping.

I've noticed a general pattern here: there are roughly 10-20 hardcore collectors out there who will spend whatever it takes to get what they want. Once those few have finished buying, the prices for certain items then drop in price dramatically. Three perfect examples: Chase the Chuckwagon, Waterworld and the overall price of 5200 items.

my thoughts exactly! i've always had this theory, there has to be a finite number of big spenders out there, go on guys get your fill and let the rest of us have a shot :P

i'd agree that its one of the rarest 2600 systems out there, i've had 3 2800s (one boxed) and never found a columbia house. i think if i did find one though i'd just as soon trade it off, rare or not its just an ugly system where as the knight rider styled 2800 is a thing of dark beauty!