IGNORED

2600 joystick question

kencrisis

This weekend I got my "new" Vader 2600 system from atariace.com. Played solo all weekend and then today pulled out the second joystick today to play with my wife.

But, I have one problem with this other joystick. The rubber surrounding the stick is only partially in place. Try as I might, I can't seem to get the rubber back in place. I've included a few pictures so you can see what I mean.

This is annoying and sometimes interferes with game play, as the whole rubber thing pops out almost all the way as I play -- but also because its a disappointing flaw in a near-cherry system. Can you tell me how to fix this, or should AtariAce.com exchange it for another Vader joystick for me? (I've contacted them, but haven't heard back, so I thought I'd try here.)

post-5268-1085469981_thumb.jpg

post-5268-1085469982_thumb.jpg

post-5268-1085469983_thumb.jpg

If the boot is warped I can send you a new one. And you can see if that will fix it. You would just have to cover shipping.

If you want to get a New Vader joystick I have a Mint in box one and a "like new" loose one.

Just PM me if your interested in any of those possibilities.

-Tim

Yeah, though if the lower part is misshapen in any way, it will just pop out again. pmpddytim's got it right that it's just warped. Alternately, you could try bonding the retaining ring to the boot with Krazy glue...but I dunno if those surfaces will work together.

A small, flat screwdriver is your friend ;) pusch back the rubber and pull up the ring with the screwdriver. Then push the rubber underneath the ring. It takes a bit of practice, but I have some joysticks that get loose every now and then. I usually have them back in place within a minute.

Yeah, I tried pushing it back in with a flat screwdriver but had no luck. I was worried about damaging the ring though, in case I had to return the joystick. I'll give it another try tonight, but it looks like it might be warped. Hopefully atariace.com will get back to me. Don't know anything about this company, does anyone have any experience with them, any problems with getting in touch with them?

SUSUWATARI is right, if you dissassemble your joystick you'll notice from the inside, you can remove retaining ring that holds the rubber boot in place (little tabs keep it secured to the joystick base) take it out carefully then you'll be able to reseat the rubber boot, even if it's warped a little the retaining ring will hold it flat against the joystick base.

Hey, thanks for all the advice. I will keep it all in mind, but atariace.com got back to me today and they're shipping out a another joystick to me tomorrow with a return label for the old one. I'm pretty happy with that, they seem like good guys.

- K