IGNORED

Towering Inferno--20th Century Fox--What gives?

candiru

I was looking through some of my game manuals yesterday and I happened to notice that on the back of the Towering Inferno instructions it says that it's licensed from 20th Century Fox.

A simple IMDB search yielded, The Towering Inferno, a film from 1974.

Anybody have any idea why Fox wouldn't have released it under their own label? Looking through the manuals here at AA I see that the earliest Fox games are dated 1982, and that Towering Inferno is also from '82. Is it possible that U.S. Games approaching Fox about licensing a movie title for a game kickstarted their own game division? Or is it more likely that Fox figured on an easier profit just by selling a license than expending the energy to create a game on their own?

My theories are probably way off base, but I still want to know. What gives?

US Games was up and running several months before Fox. That's a long time in the world of classic video games.

Fox licensed the movie to Quaker Oats before they decided to get into the business themselves. This may have caused them to take a look at the business. Fox rushed to get into the Atari biz, having to buy games from Sirius at the start.

It's mentioned in Phoenix.

That's where I read it all right! I really love that book.

I'll second that notion :-) I need to buy it again to get the most recent revision. LH is da man :-) and I love the way he keeps rubbing that he's played 'The Impossible Game' in our collective noses! :-) JK!

That's because, as we stated, Fox didn't start to make games until they already sold the Towering Inferno rights to US Games.

Bank Heist was developed as a Bonnie & Clyde game, but it turned out that Fox didn't own all the rights to that film (Intellivision's Space Battle was a Battlestar Galactica game but Mattel didn't have the video game rights as it turned out).