IGNORED

OCD+Atari Collecting=a personal curse

KAZ

Well I decided to write because I want a new perspective or insight on an issue I've been having.

A couple years back, I was told I had Asperger's. I've went as far as flying to Pittburgh, PA to verify my diagnosis. I guess I would agree, since I doubt I'd have been given ssdi if it weren't accurate.

Ok, anyways, back to the point. I think that OCD exists frequently with this diagnosis. Now this is probably not going to sound very rational, but when I collect Atari 2600 games, I have this "ritual" that I do.

I am horribly compelled to record all sorts of details surrounding my transactions. I record how much I spent on a loose cartridge, who I bought it from, and the date. This is bothersome because sometimes I forget to write down this data. For some reason I then believe my collecting to then be CORRUPT.

I do like collecting, and playing, but this curse in my mind is really starting to be a drag. It is like I'm attempting to somehow have a "perfect" collecting environment.

So then the thoughts start rolling in like daggers:

1. Suppose someone dropped off a bunch of Atari 2600 games on my doorstep. What would I do then? I certainly could not record the date or who I got them from. So do I accept these games into the collection or not? Of course I should, so my obsessions are illogical.

2. What if I gave 15 of my games to a friend to own. A month later, I ask him I can purchase them for $10. So I would then have to alter the original date and source to reflect this new transaction? How silly I think.

So I would like to know if anyone else "suffers" from this type of curse.

Last night I attempted to do an "information suicide", erradicating all traces of recordings of dates or prices paid, or sources. But I can't erase this information from my brain :( I have images in my head of this data (like photographic memory fragments). So much so that I could nearly reconstruct it from memory.

So today I have these nagging thoughts that now my collection is tainted or corrupted somehow, but I know this is an insane thought-so I doubt I'd discard my collection.

I do of course keep a detailed list of the games I own.

To those that do not subscribe to the notion that people have ADD, ADHD, AS, OCD, or whatever...how can one explain these horrible thoughts? I really don't think many collectors have this issue. Everyone might be different in their own way, but isn't this very much far from typical?

Kaz

I'm obsessive( is that spelled right? ) to the point that I keep a list of my Atari games, like you do, but I've been too busy to update it and it's been bugging me.

I list them in CX, AG, AX, AZ, or whatever the naming convention is for the company, game name, game category( ie: Sports, Arcade port ), price I paid, date of purchase, Controllers used, date of game release( AFAIK )... etc.

I try to keep my Atari brand games organized in the cart holders in CX# order and it bugs me when I'm missing a game and so the quest continues to eventually fill in those gaps( for example: I got Frog Pond to fill in CX2665 )

I'm even worse with my Star Wars Action figures: I won't buy a figure I need unless the package is in pristine condition( according to me ). Then at home, I list the toys in SKU# order! :roll: , figure name, figure assortment #, price paid, purchase date, etc.

Again, trying to fill in those gaps is costing me a lot of money :!:

So, from my perspective, KAZ, you are only a bit more OCD than I am! 8)

P.S. Did I mention how much time I spend on these posts because I hate to use the "Edit" feature. "Preview" is my friend! :)

Weston 8)

I bet with hundreds of other Atari collectors that others have strange thoughts or things that they do while collecting games. But the most important thing here is that if what you were doing is troubling you then you should get some help. Your distress probably has little to do with Atari per se and could show up in any activity in the future.

IF you have a job see if they offer an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), some HMO's also have this service. Might be the quickest way to get a few sessions to talk to someone. I know I had to look them up and get a few meeting with a counselor before.

So Gateway, what do you do when someone gives you a free game? Or you trade one of your games for another.

Certainly you cannot have a "price paid" for that, right?

So are there gaps in your games where you do not know the date you bought something, or what you paid for it?

So Gateway, what do you do when someone gives you a free game?  Or you trade one of your games for another.

Certainly you cannot have a "price paid" for that, right?

I usually write in "gift" or "free" in that spot. To date, I haven't traded any games with somebody else. It's all been money purchases. I'm "afraid" to start trading( probably because I'm a packrat by nature and keep everything, seldom do I get rid of stuff. I've got to work on that. )

So are there gaps in your games where you do not know the date you bought something, or what you paid for it?

Yes, quite a few, actually. To be honest, I've been so busy with other things in my day to day life, that keeping up with updating these things has become low priority. I just have other things to focus on.

I can relate to your situation, but as time has gone by, I've become less obssesive than I used to be. For me, it was a self - esteem issue. It may be something different for you.

Anyway, I find it kinda fun to keep lists of all my stuff. If it isn't fun for you, or is to the point that you have trouble sleeping at night, then take the advice from oesii and see about some counseling, if you think that will help.

IMO, you don't sound like a freak or anything. It's just part of your personality. 8)

Good luck! 8)

I can't say that I'm obsessive enough to record dates and times of purchases, nor where I got them from. They usually strike me as irrelevant. I should record how much I paid for them, but I don't want to add that to my main list, and I don't want to keep a second list, so I'm at an impasse with that one.

For the rest of it though I do try and record whatever information I can about the cart itself -- titles, company name, release date (this is always a bother because no one can agree on the official release date of some games, so I usually write whatever's on the cart), part or catalog number, rarity, quaitity, what it comes with (box, manual, inserts, etc.) and a comment area for extraneous information such as cart condition or things that it comes with for which I don't have a column.

I also enter separate entries every time I get a cart in a different "state" (i.e. loose, loose with manual, CIB, NIB, etc.)

Recording item numbers or the date a cartridge was released is just fine to record. This type of data can be accessed at anytime, just by looking for resources on the internet.

I'm actually interested in collecting by item number for all the atari 2600 carts from the company Atari. I'm collecting Activision games too, because they are colorful, and nice to look at on a shelf.

I'm supposing I'll always be able to get some idea how much I've spent on my Atari collection by simply looking up how much a given item sells for on a price guide or from Ebay. Ebay is less "official" to me, tho.

My obsessive thoughts recognize that any cartridge in a collection could be converted into "gift" status, just by giving it to a friend or something, and then having it returned. This is why I don't want to record this type of stuff.

But recording properties about carts will always be fine...like is it a one or two player game, is it Paddle only? Who was the author, the year it came out, etc. All this is far better than the type of data I used to keep about the games.

There is one last grey area that I don't know about. I don't know if I should write down to the condition of my cartridges. This could get out of control for one thing, where I cannot quite be satisfied if my system is quality enough.

Like a friend of mine recently said...he said I should just relax.

Maybe there's "no wrong way to collect". Like eating a resse's.

No, there's no wrong way to collect, that much is certain. Recording the condition is entirely up to the individual. I like to record the general condition (rips, tears, puncutures, missing labels, Actiplaque, stickers, autographs, etc. or on the flipside, really good to mint quality) partially because it's a reminder to get myself one in better condition if needed (or that I don't need another one), and partially because if I do get a better one then I know what the one I've replaced is generally worth.

I think I have a little O.C.D as well. I don't go as far as listing how much I pay for my games, but i do have a complete list of all the games I have on the computer. This is listed with atari games in exact cx numerical order. Besides this I list every company that my games come from. and I also have a list of my rarity 5 games and up.

Well I decided to write because I want a new perspective or insight on an issue I've been having.

A couple years back, I was told I had Asperger's.  I've went as far as flying to Pittburgh, PA to verify my diagnosis.  I guess I would agree, since I doubt I'd have been given ssdi if it weren't accurate.

Ok, anyways, back to the point.  I think that OCD exists frequently with this diagnosis.  Now this is probably not going to sound very rational, but when I collect Atari 2600 games, I have this "ritual" that I do.

Apparently, our little behaviors as Aspies and classic OCD are birds of different colors, from all the literature I've been given over the years. . .

I am horribly compelled to record all sorts of details surrounding my transactions.  I record how much I spent on a loose cartridge, who I bought it from, and the date.  This is bothersome because sometimes I forget to write down this data.  For some reason I then believe my collecting to then be CORRUPT.

I do like collecting, and playing, but this curse in my mind is really starting to be a drag.  It is like I'm attempting to somehow have a "perfect" collecting environment.  

So then the thoughts start rolling in like daggers:

1.  Suppose someone dropped off a bunch of Atari 2600 games on my doorstep.  What would I do then?  I certainly could not record the date or who I got them from.  So do I accept these games into the collection or not?  Of course I should, so my obsessions are illogical.

Amount = 0.00 Who = Uh, Bira Bira, probably :) Date = whenever you found them.

2.  What if I gave 15 of my games to a friend to own.  A month later, I ask him I can purchase them for $10.  So I would then have to alter the original date and source to reflect this new transaction?  How silly I think.

Eh, not really, just sound record-keeping.

So I would like to know if anyone else "suffers" from this type of curse.  

Last night I attempted to do an "information suicide", erradicating all traces of recordings of dates or prices paid, or sources.  But I can't erase this information from my brain :( I have images in my head of this data (like photographic memory fragments).  So much so that I could nearly reconstruct it from memory.

Even LSD won't help . . . Trust me . . .

So today I have these nagging thoughts that now my collection is tainted or corrupted somehow, but I know this is an insane thought-so I doubt I'd discard my collection.

To those that do not subscribe to the notion that people have ADD, ADHD, AS, OCD, or whatever...how can one explain these horrible thoughts?  I really don't think many collectors have this issue.  Everyone might be different in their own way, but isn't this very much far from typical?

I think everybody who collects **anything** basically does the same thing in one form or another. Completely neurotypical people probably don't collect anything, unless it's of immense sentimental value . . .

I can't say I do this with Atari carts, though . . . Chatbot code, yeah . . . Survivor episode recaps, yeah . . . Everything my ex-girlfriend ever said or did, yeah . . .

Now, if I were a serious collector (and not just a gamer) sure, I probably would.

Kaz-

You are not alone my friend. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years back and obsessive behavior is part of the package.

When I started collecting a couple of years back I had no less than six Excel spreadsheets recording every aspect of every purchase (and that was alot - over five figures worth!).

But with a change in attitude (and meds), I've learned to step back and actually play and enjoy the games I've bought.

Don't get me wrong, every game I own is divided by system and organized by either alphabetical order (loose carts) or catalog number (boxed games on display).

Every now and then I beat myself up for spending so much time and money on our hobby; but my wife put in perspective for me. She observed that when I feel physically out of control, I turn to my gaming hobby because it is something I can control easily.

Enough ranting from the madman....... :D

Kaz, I forgot to mention something.

I also can't stand holes in my collection. For example, I'm trying to complete my Parker Bros CIB collection. I bid a ridiculous amount of money on Ebay (luckily someone bid alot more) on a 007 sealed. But then I offered someone on this board the same ridiculous amount. They quickly put my insanity into perspective. Thanks CPUWIZ. It's good to know that we look out for each other here on AtariAge. :) :) :)

I am glad I'm not the only one that does these "wierd" picky things with collecting. As I said I tried to delete all traces of this data, but I didn't quite find it all. It is funny that I had a backup...leave it to myself to make sure the data is not lost. So I decided not to delete it again.

Ok, so here's an example...

Although most of my atari 2600 collection has record of where I bought each one, who, and how much, there are some that I don't have this information. I bought Robot Tank from Cedar Cliff Collectibles near where I live. I traded in a bunch of stuff for a bunch of 7800 cartridges, and Robot Tank. So the trade value was something like $6.00, but I think he gave it to me for less than that on trade, so I don't quite remember what the precise amount was. And I don't remember the date, it was sometime early this year I think.

So it bothers me, because I have this game that doesn't have precision recording of the transaction, but I know this is foolish when I step back from the situation.

And at the Midwest Classic, I just didn't have time to record all of this worthless data about transactions.

So yeah, I could use a happy pill about now.

There's nothing wrong with noting the details of your purchases. At least I hope not, since I do the same thing. :ponder:

I have a database on my PDA that I use to keep track of my collection, partly because I'm data obsessive and partly because I have a terrible memory, and would otherwise buy endless duplicates. Along with the other basic information I have a field for price paid, the date I recieved it, and the source, be it a thrift store, yard sale, auction, etc. I seldom record the full details, though.

Collectors in other fields do this as a matter of routine in order to establish the provenance, or chain of ownership, for a unique or valuable item. Your average Atari cartridge or game system isn't unique or valuable, but knowing where something came from can still be interesting. If it's any comfort, remember that most of what we know about everyday life in years past comes from people who were obssesive about saving and documenting stuff. Think of it as your contribution to history. ;)

I'm kinda the opposite. The only games I have cataloged are my 2600 games, and I know I dont have them all written down, and if I do, its just the title. They are alphabetical, but thats it. No company order, or genre. Its actually just in a .txt file on my desktop. I wish I did have all my other stuff written down though, that being my PS1/2, N64, GB/C/A, Genesis, Gamegear, DVD and a few others. Oh well, its just not all that important to me, really.

I have to admit that I probably won't have the lists that I do if it wasn't for my PDA. That was my primary source of input when I started collecting, and is still an important part of it -- though since all the ground work has long since been laid, all of my updates are simply done in Excel on my computer and synchronized to my PDA so that I've got an up-to-date list to glean from when I'm thrifting.

I also tend to have a bad memory -- a symptom most likely of the "external memory" syndrome that computers and technology have afflicted many people with. (The degrading ability to consciously remember simple details because of the increasing frequency with which we rely on computers and the Internet to remember them for us) I think I'd probably be lost without my PDA, and though I AM pretty good at remembering things I deal with frequently (such as my collection) I'm shockingly bad at consciously trying to remember anything on the first try.

(Oddly enough however, I have the uncanny ability to remember almost anything if I'm not actively trying to mentally record it -- like things said to me in passing or things I glance only half-interestedly at. Consequently I have an encyclopedaic knowledge of trivia and inconsequentials, but damned if I can remember your phone number if I haven't already dialed it a dozen times)

I've never been diagnosed with any disorders of any kind, but there's one thing about my Atari collection that vexes me horribly - I didn't alphabetize and/or categorize my 2600 games until I got over 300 carts, and once I did I started recording the dates that new carts were added, what kind of cart they were (new and unique - NU, label variation - LVAR, homebrew or prototype reproduction, HB PR or REPRO). Now when I look at that list, which has doubled in size since then, it irritates me to no end that I DON'T HAVE DATES ON THE FIRST 300. With some small degree of certainty I could determine which the first 30 were if I asked my wife, since her carts were the "seed" which grew into this tree, but the other 270 would still be a total mystery. AGHHH!

I'm certainly compulsive about organization to a degree even I find frustrating at times. I get stymied by decisions about whether to organize by title, by rarity, by manufacturer, and so on. It turns out 90% of the time I alphabetize, but in some cases (such as 2600) I will sort by manufacturer, then alphabetize, UNLESS it's rare - then I seperate it out. Eesh! I've started to reconsider the latter because it nags me to leave a set "incomplete" when I take the rare cart away from it's more common brethern. Yeah, I have issues. :P

I think anyone who collects anything has at the very least a basic list of what they own. I collect comics (my god, been doing that for 23 years now!!), Star Wars figures, and Atari.

Comics is one thing I have lost control over what I actually have because I haven't really broken down to spend the money on a good Comic database program and that bugs me!! I get so many books each month (So many, that I got my own State Resale certificate and formed a company so I can get a better discount for myself. Anyone out there want to get 25% off books just send me a PM...I really need to cut back!!) that a) I'm several years behind on my reading, & b) I don't have time to read them all let alone catalogue them in a database!

Star Wars figures I have more control of. I have them in an online database at rebelscum.com. I haven't been to that sight in a while so for all I know that database could be history (I do have a printout though!).

Then there is Atari which I keep much more detailed info on what I have more then anything else. I keep track of what I have, what I paid, the condition of the cart, instructions, box, and whether it is loose, loose with instructions, boxed, or sealed.

So basically what I 'm trying to say is I don't think it's crazy to what degree you go to enjoy your hobby. Everyone is different and everyone has their own quirks some more than others!

- Sal

Wow, all of your complicated lists are making me jealous! There's nothing I like better than organizing my tiny collection. In some ways I enjoy this more than playing the games, especially since my 2600 is kinda broken. I guess I'm still looking for the perfect organization, and when that happens I'll have to start collecting something else!

I don't think I would compare being anal about your lists to OCD. If you were OCD, you wouldn't forget to make some mark or obsess about it later. If you were OCD, you would count them (or do whatever it is you do with them) and then you would have a huge fear like you've done something terribly wrong or forgotten something, so you'll go back and do the whole thing again.

About the closest I can come to this is my house keys. Each morning before I leave, I pick them up and put them in my pocket. I know they are there, I know I have them...but it never fails as I walk out the door (before is shut it), I normally check a couple of more times just to make sure they're there. Sometimes it's a quick pat and I feel them. Others it's a pat, followed by "Well those could be the wrong keys" and so I have to take them out and look at them.

Thankfully, as far as OCD goes, that about the worst for me. Now GAD on the other hand is a whole other ball of twine. :)

Cap

I keep a list of my 2600 games, but not for any of my other systems. I used to write down the date, where I got them, and price, but I've slacked off for several months now. It bugs me a little bit that I don't have them down but I generally remember where I got something and how much I paid, and even what order I got it, but otherwise my perception of time is pretty sorry.

It's a mixed blessing that my wife is very gifted at remembering exactly when things happened and other calendar events, because she saves my ass sometimes. It is a little irritating though that she's always there to correct me when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. "When was that?, about a year ago? --"No, it will be exactly 2 and a half years ago this Friday. Remember? You were wearing that striped shirt. And you're 26, not 25."-- "Dammit!" But, I've gotten off track....

I take great pains to keep my 2600 games organized. Separated by company then alphabetized. I keep most of my games in the interlocking cartridge cases, which means an extensive reorganization when I get new games. I'm also anal enough to try to arrange them so that the end of a company section doesn't end up starting a new row. No "widows or orphans" so to speak.

I know somewhat of the feelings you have. I had some mild OCD-like tendencies that surfaced during my middle school years. Weird little things, like if I was shooting baskets, I'd feel better if I ended on a multiple of 5. Or if I tapped the fingers on my right hand twice that I should maintain symmetry by following up with the left hand. Probably the weirdest was when I was learning to type. Our teacher told us that we should practice even when we weren't in front of a keyboard by just moving our fingers as though striking the keys. I practiced this way and it turned into a habit. Sometimes I'd see or hear a phrase and even if I didn't twitch my fingers, I'd be aware of the appropriate fingers and mentally go through the typing.

I don't think anyone else ever noticed what I was doing, but I eventually got sick of myself, and was lucky enough to be able to put it behind me.

I've never really talked about it, but the honesty of Kaz's post really struck me. I hope he realizes that other people deal with similar things and he's not alone.

Almost any collector is a little compulsive. If it's only within your gaming hobby it might not be that big of a deal, but if you're unhappy about it and it affects your life in other ways you owe it to yourself to take action.