IGNORED

Who's right - DP or Atariage?

AtariLeaf

I might be able to get my hands on a Zellers Time Warp. Its listed here as a rarity 5:

http://atariage.com/software_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=761

and at DP as a rarity 3.

Why the disparity? The reason I ask is that if I trade for this game it will be to hopefully turn around and trade if for one of the rarer games on my list: Pengo, Spy Hunter, Tapper, or River Raid 2 (I know its harder for you US folks to get these canadian zellers titles.)

Since I don't really want time warp, will acquiring it help me get one of those other four or should I not bother picking it up since I personally don't really want it.

Why the disparity?

Well basically, establishing the rarity of a cart is not an exact science. It depends on a lot of subjective factors. Location for example. A cart can be very hard to get in some parts of the world while being very easy to get in other parts. There are many factors like this. Also note that rarity != value. Rare carts are not automatically very valuable.

Personally i have no idea if it would be a good idea to pick it up. Maybe you can initiate a trade with someone before you pick it up. In that case you can be sure to get for it what you want.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe the mods and the guys who are really "in the know" like CPUWIZ could answer - would that game (if I acquired it) be worth it to someone (hypothetically) to trade for one of the 4 I listed in my OP?

IMHO, loose it's worth about 5 bucks.

I've noticed that with Digital Press as well. For instance my Rescue Terra I is a 9 here and a 7 there. :( But luckily it doesn't really matter that much. Digital Press places almost all of their games at lower rarities that AA. The rarity truth in my opinion is somewhere in the middle of these two great atari sources. ;) Rescue Terra I is still a 9 though damnit!! :x

I might be able to get my hands on a Zellers Time Warp. Its listed here as a rarity 5:

http://atariage.com/software_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=761

and at DP as a rarity 3.

Why the disparity? The reason I ask is that if I trade for this game it will be to hopefully turn around and trade if for one of the rarer games on my list: Pengo, Spy Hunter, Tapper, or River Raid 2 (I know its harder for you US folks to get these canadian zellers titles.)

Since I don't really want time warp, will acquiring it help me get one of those other four or should I not bother picking it up since I personally don't really want it.

The only Zellers cart you'd be able to trade for something like that would be Inca Gold. Most Zellers carts can be had for about $5 each despite the difficulty in finding them.

Zellers carts don't tend to fetch much mostly because they're just cheap Canadian pirates of other games. Some of them fetch a little more than average -- Inca Gold, being the rarest, and possibly Farmer Dan and a couple of others. None of them are original games. Time Warp would probably fetch an average R4 value.

Value is also based a lot on popularity. Pitfall II for example is only an R4, but it tends to fetch more than many other R4s because it's just a damn good game. A lot of games from particular companies tend to fetch good prices too because their games on the whole tended to be quite good -- Parker Bros., Activision, Sega, CBS and the like all have numerous good titles.

The rarity guides are all rigged so the secret collector's socities can horde all of the rare games and trick the lowly want to be collector's into paying large quantities of cash.

These rarity guides are only a few people's opinions. For example, I think a game like Radar Lock is alot more rare than people say it is but I only base it on my own hunting experiences.

I am hoping that they are at least partially based on actual production run counts and sales figures.

When it comes to the 2600, this guide is more accurate, more complete and less clogged with vaporware . . .

As far as each individual game, they probably have a better reflection of international rarity (since many PAL games just have (?) for rarity, and some aren't even listed although they've been on Ebay . . .

Like Action Hi-Tech Aussie Rally . . . Had a chance to buy it, but passed it up because I couldn't find out what game it was (Enduro?).

And I might add  

I`m looking for River Patrol and I am offering to trade it for Bumper Bash... why not they are both R9`s  8)

I'd trade 4 of my current 3 of my current 9's for a River Patrol :lust:

Stronghold, Tooth Protectors, Q*Berts Qubes. I could probably trade much more than that and no one would be willing to trade. :sad: I'll get it one of these days.