IGNORED

Who's right - DP or Atariage?

AtariLeaf

I don't think anybody is fighting Kaine. And it's a valid question. Most of us here own DP guides. All of us here who collect, must check the database for info & rarity and whatnot, so we see the rarities given here on AA & we have the rarities for DP & notice the differences.

On average most everything is one lower in the DP guide across the boards. I think the DP guide is in need of some adjustments, I've bought the last 3 DP guides, and there have hardly been any changes at all to the 2600 stuff. Yet over the past 5 years or so I would say the number of 2600 finds I've had in the wild have gone way down. :( It's getting much harder to locate, and to find with ease, even with ebay on some stuff. I think their rarities are too low on some items, and of course their prices given have always been low, not to reflect the ebay scene so much, but what collectors would gladly pay to buy said carts, maybe from another collector, or from shows or whatever. But they have always listed lower numbers on purpose on price. Then a few items are higher than the norm, but overall they are down.

But over time I think it does get harder to find these carts, yet their rarity guide doesn't seem to reflect those changes. Now as ebay grows, and there are tons of Atari items on ebay on any given day, yes it becomes much more easier to find games, but the cost can also go way up, and far beyond anyprice in the DP guide. So if they are keeping some rarites based on the fact that they are readily available on ebay, I think their prices should start to reflect the "ebay price" more so than what Joe or John was able to find for 10 years ago.

I personally feel the AA database more truly reflects the rarity of Atari games in this day & age. Not that DP is bad, or incorrect, but that the AA database is better.

But you can bet when the new DP guides come out I will be purchasing! ;)

It's all good information, regardless of what the final numbers are. :)

Forgive me for my ignorance and for being slightly off-topic' date=' but what is it that makes River Patrol more desired/expensive than other rarity 9s?[/quote']

Rarity is subjective. And it's open to debate. Nothing is set in stone. Some of the rarities on this site have gone up or down in the past based on discussions in these forums. There is the rarity forum to post questions in as well.

DP guide really only lists a few R9s, River Patrol, Quadrun, Lockjaw, Out of Control, & Stronghold. I think that's all the 9's. Malagai is actually listed as a 10 in DP. All of these are fairly close when you look at their selling prices on ebay. It's not often these come up for sale, and half the time the auction ends early, so it's hard to know what they're worth, but those are all fairly close to the $300 range. I've seen a couple Quadruns in the sub $200 range recently from Mexico, MMF won one of those I think, but most of the 9's are typically in the $300-400 range.

Some of the other 9's from this site, are listed as R7's & R8s in DP guide with lower prices, maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but their selling prices are typically lower. NTSC Ikari Warriors might be an exception, but then again it's hard to confirm these details, which often makes it hard to bid high amounts of money on games, when they could turn out to be lesser PAL games instead. Bomb & Xonox titles also fall in this trap. So maybe the games are just as rare, but collectors are less likely to fork out as much money when it's unknown. And some games just go by under the radar.

One major flaw of the DP guide is the confusion of PAL and NTSC versions of games. The price difference between the PAL and NTSC of a given cart is like night and day. There is no comparison. For example, NTSC Obelix is worth 100-150$, while PAL Obelix is worth about 10$ or less and both carts look the same...