IGNORED

Digital Press rarity guide price check...

KAZ

I'm curious if anyone has used the Digital Press rarity guide to price all of their Atari 2600 games (to determine their value/rarities).

If others have used Digital Press, what were your values? What was your most valuable game?

My collection is far from great. I've focused my collecting to just Atari and Activision (since they both look nice on a shelf). My most valuable games are Pitfall 2 ($10), Oink! ($8), and Frostbite ($7).

As I said my collection isn't awesome at all, but I was just curious about others. My total value was: $208

Many games were valued at a mere $1.00

And another question is, what is the prefered source to price/determine the value of individual games in a collection, or of the whole collection.

Thanks.

I only use DP as a checklist. It's a great guide for learning more about games and a wealth of information, but when it comes to price, I find it suspect. When determining a value for my collection, I use personal experience rather than any price guide.

Yeah I have calculated my Atari 2600 value. It comes to around $1100 something. I did not calculate into it my copies of game or my other systems. This is where I get O.C.D. big time but I actually will write down the highest price of certain games I have that have gone on Ebay I think I will list it now so fellow O.C.D ers can enjoy :D

Adventure-$10.50

Air Sea Battle $1.99

Amidar $2.99

Asteroids $6.00

Astroblast-$2.50

Atlantis-$2.50

Battlezone-$4.76

Berzerk-$1.99

Blackjack-$3.75

Breakout-$5.50

Bridge-$8.50

California Games-$11.07

Canyon Bomber-$3.25

Centipede-$10.50

Chopper Command-$1.29

Circus-$5.00

Code Breaker-$3.99

Combat-$2.00

Commando-$5.50

Congo Bongo-$7.50

Crackpots-$2.75

Crossbow-$3.00

Dark Chambers-$1.95

Defender-$2.75

Demons to Diamonds-$1.99

Dig Dug-$6.05

Dodge Em-$1.25

Dolphin-$5.51

Donkey Kong-$16.77

Donkey Kong jr-$13.57

E.T.-$3.26

Enduro-$1.95

Football-$1.99

Frankensteins Monster-$22.72

Freeway-$1.99

Frogger-$26.00

Frogger 2-$20.50

Frogs and Flies-$6.50

Frontline-$8.75

Frostbite-$3.80

G.I.Joe-$5.83

Galaxian-$14.50

Ghostbusters-$8.50

Golf-$1.00

Gorf-$3.50

Grand Prix-$2.99

Gravitor-$3.99

Haunted House-$6.50

Home Run-$1.99

Human Cannonball-$1.99

Infiltrate-$2.99

Journey Escape-$3.25

Joust-$4.75

Jungle Hunt-$8.56

Kaboom-$15.50

Kangaroo-$5.50

Keystone Kapers-$3.99

Krull-$7.50

Laser Blast-$2.97

Lock n Chase-$5.55

M.A.S.H. $9.00

Math Gran Prix-$7.00

Maze Craze-$11.49

Megamania-$15.50

Missile Command-$5.75

Moon Patrol-$10.50

Mouse trap-$8.55

Ms. Pacman-$15.00

M.A.D.-$4.00

Night Driver-$3.68

Outlaw-$5.25

Pacman-$9.00

Pengo-$26.00

Pheonix-$5.50

Pittfall-$12.50

Pittfall 2-$18.50

Pole Position-$3.80

Popeye-$11.25

Qbert-$10.50

Raiders of the lost ark-$8.50

Reactor-$3.50

Real Sports Boxing-$2.55

Real Sports Football-$1.99

Realsports Volleyball-$2.25

Riddle of the spinx-$3.25

River Raid-$10.07

Sea Quest-$7.01

Skate Boardin-$7.99

Sky Jinks-$2.75

Solar Fox-$1.99

Space Invaders-$10.52

Space Shuttle-$6.00

Space War-$1.76

Spider Fighter-$4.99

Spider Man-$20.00

Star Raiders-$3.25

Star Wars E.S.B.-$7.10

Star Wars Death Star Battle-$10.50

Star Wars Jedi Arena-$8.50

Strawberry Shortcake M.M.-$9.99

Super Breakout-$5.05

Superman-$3.99

Surround-$6.05

Sword Quest Earthworld-$2.75

Tapper-$41.00

Tax Avoiders-$18.16

Taz-$5.71

Towering Inferno-$3.00

Tunnel Runner-$6.95

Venture-$8.50

Video Olympics-$1.99

Video Pinball-$2.27

Warlords-$1.99

Winter Games-$1.51

worm War I-$6.00

Yars revenge-$3.75

Zaxxon-$10.50

Remember this is the highest I have noticed these games get. A lot of these games are high because of newbie bidding wars. This list is good because the odds are very small you will get paid if you ask for more than these prices on Ebay.

There is no such thing as a perfect price guide for anything. Party A may be willing to spend $2 for a OC cart, party B may be only willing to spend $0.50 for the same game and DP guide may list that game at $1.50.

The only true price guide is yourself. What the game are worth are only what *you* are willing to pay, not a book.

I think the only way to take the DP prices seriously is if you had the time to auction off every cart individually. That's why it isn't all that realistic and I have heard it before and thinks it hold pretty true that DP and Manci prices are high for common to scarce games and then low for the really rare ones. However, DP is good for general rarity and a fun read :) .

the dp guide is our trade making yardstick for NECG meets. i have the regular guide and printed out copies of their 16 bit and on guides so it pretty much covers every defunct system out there. thats the good thing about it, you have a common rarity scale and common pricing mentality across platforms so its easy to balance a trade of say 5200 games for SNES games. there are some areas of the guide where i think the prices are off, NES for example but at least it gives a good baseline for trades. i'd much rather use a source like that than listen to somebody tell me what they think they could get for something on ebay. its a very useful tool for things like that, the prices arent gospel but it makes things smoother if you can site an outside source such as the dp guide for trade making.

Arriving at the end of June at a game store near you!

The Video Game Collector

The magazine will cover all platforms from Atari to Xbox and have a price list for loose carts and boxed carts. The Atari section will have all released games for 2600, 5200, and 7800. It will only have one entry for each title unless there is a major difference in price like sears picture label Missile Command and regular picture label.

I am one of the editors of the magazine for the vintage gaming section and its looking great so far.

www.vgcollector.com

Jason

• Like 1

The Video Game Collector

The magazine will cover all platforms from Atari to Xbox and have a price list for loose carts and boxed carts. The Atari section will have all released games for 2600, 5200, and 7800. It will only have one entry for each title unless there is a major difference in price like sears picture label Missile Command and regular picture label.

I am one of the editors of the magazine for the vintage gaming section and its looking great so far.  

www.vgcollector.com

Jason

You have no idea what this will do to the market. This market is a bunch of fuel waiting to be ignited, your magazine is the match hitting the gasoline. I believe your magazine will be extremly succesful it is an idea that is way past it's prime. But you have to realize something, do you realise how much harder it is going to be to find video games that I do not have. It is extremly easy right now to go to any flea market or any goodwill store and find something at a pretty good deal. Most people right now think that old video games and old video game systems are junk. Some people might say well we have had the Digital Press Guide for awhile now. This is true, but the DPG is something you can't get any major book store. The good news I guess is people will finally realize that this is a collectible just like comics or sports cards, and people will look at my 210 game collection more with awe instead of laughter. So I am happy that you and your crew are bringing respectability to this underated market, sad because I realize this is the end of video game collecting as I know it. :D :sad:

I agree that the DPG is best for comparitive purposes, but it's also a very informative book not just a rarity/price guide.

Now here's the part where I show how OCD I am. ;)

Total DP value of Atari 2600 games: $2,430

Highest valued game: Death Trap ($65)

Total paid for all my Atari 2600 games: $1032.28

Best deal: Death Trap ($1.58, $63.42 under)

Worst deal: Dragonfire w/manual ($8, $4 over)

What can I say, I was a newbie when I bought that Dragonfire. The only other games I've paid more than DP value for are complete (which the guide does not take into account).

Percentage of games which are complete: 29%

The Video Game Collector

www.vgcollector.com

Jason

Assigning accurate prices to games is next to impossible. All this will do is artificially inflate prices on common games.

Becketts took the baseball industry out of the hands of children and put it in the hands of 40 and 50 somethings with very deep pockets. A pack of cards shot from 35 cents a pack to a few dollars a pack.

The same will likely happen if this monthly price guide starts to take off. Having the Manci priceguide was bad enough.

oh good grief, i wouldnt worry too much about this guide or manci changing the landscape of our hobby too much. i have yet to visit a dedicated video game store that didnt already consider itself an authority on used game prices. seems that one of those stores is trying to start a magazine thats all. most of the time they use ebay and/or old funco lists, along with personal retail experience. i'd be pretty surprised to see anybody who owns a store start using this mag as their new gospel. i'm also skeptical of how you can fit a full 2600-xbox price guide into 48 pages. i guess you could do fine print one line entries but thats barely worth having. looks to me like this isnt exactly a major undertaking, i mean thats a plonky website with an AOL contact email.