IGNORED

2600 Programmer Howard Scott Warshaw's Documentary

acelkin

If you want to really know what it was like working at Atari during their infancy, then go to www.onceuponatari.com & order the dvd or video. It's an amazing piece of history, & with HSW conducting most (all?) of the interview content, the programmers were definetly a lot more uninhibited with their responses & stories. Tod Frye (Pac-Man), Rob Fulop (Missile Command), Carla Meninski (Warlords/Star Raiders), & even Nolan Bushnell himself tell their stories on life at Atari. Cost was $34.70 w/ shipping for the dvd, & I can't recommend it enough-great insights!

We all pretty much know about the DVD, I have a copy myself, but its good to remind some people here about that great documentary and I think that every one who says they love atari should have a copy in there collection.

I think it's incredibly cheesy. The programmers' "zany antics" are focused on a lot more than the games. I'd have liked to know more about how they approached game design and how they came up with their ideas, rather than how stoned everyone got. And what's up with that "Tarot card" narrative he's got going on? It's like a really bad home movie.

I have a copy of this too.

Another good interview/documentary series is Stella @ 20. I'm hoping Glenn puts these on DVD one day. I have 2 copies of each episode in case I ruin one set by wathing it too much :)

Last I heard Hozer was selling these and he had sold out of volume 2.

I like the DVD as well. I got to meet Howard at Philly Classic 5. I had him sign a copy of Yar's revenge and his DVD. Chatted with him for a while. He seemed to be an incredibly nice guy, especially stopping to chat being as busy as he was and all.

Stephen Anderson

I have a copy of this too.

Another good interview/documentary series is Stella @ 20. I'm hoping Glenn puts these on DVD one day. I have 2 copies of each episode in case I ruin one set by wathing it too much :)

Other than from Hozer, is Stella @ 20 available anywhere? I'd love to see them.

Allan

The programmers' "zany antics" are focused on a lot more than the games. I'd have liked to know more about how they approached game design and how they came up with their ideas' date=' rather than how stoned everyone got.[/quote']

You've actually nailed it, their getting stoned enirched the creative juices. The whole idea behind the video was to give everyone an insider's glimpse into the work environment, show the human side of the programmers, & not get all mired up on the tech side. Most of the games are either sports or arcade translations anyway, & don't require explaination.

I emailed HSW to see if he accepted reviews, & he was extremely quick to respond, so I wanted to make sure to plug the video again in case somebody missed out. I didn't even realize that he posts here, pretty cool! Now, where's David Crane?

I have volume 1 of Stella at 20. I bought it from Hozer just before the "official" close. :ponder:

I really want to see volume 2. So put down my vote for a DVD version.

I emailed HSW to see if he accepted reviews, & he was extremely quick to respond, so I wanted to make sure to plug the video again in case somebody missed out.  I didn't even realize that he posts here, pretty cool!  Now, where's David Crane?

HSW not only posts here from time to time, but he was at the Atari Age booth at Phillyclassic 5 signing copies of his DVD and his previously unrelased game Saboteur.

I have that DVD. I even did a review of it for the MIAUG newsletter. Personally I liked the video because it gave me an idea of what it would have been like to have worked for Atari. That is something that I would have loved to have been able to do if I had the technical knowledge back then.

I hope to meet him some day and thank him for all the great games that he did. 8)