IGNORED

Comic Book Bags to Store Boxes?

King Atari

My apologies if this has been brought up before. I've got a few 2600/7800 boxes (as well as a few NES boxes, too) I'd like to store away nicely. Is there anything I should know about comic book bags before I go and put them in them? Any kind of corrosive acid that could be potentially harmful to the boxes? You wouldn't think, I mean, they're made to keep comic books in mint shape, but I don't know. And yes, I know I can buy box bags here in the AA store, but I can get comic book bags for 20 cents each at a place just down the street from me :) .

If you look at the packaging that the comic book bags come in it should tell you that they are acid free. I used to collect and i can't see any comic store selling bags that weren't acid free. You and your boxes should be safe.

My apologies if this has been brought up before. I've got a few 2600/7800 boxes (as well as a few NES boxes, too) I'd like to store away nicely. Is there anything I should know about comic book bags before I go and put them in them? Any kind of corrosive acid that could be potentially harmful to the boxes? You wouldn't think, I mean, they're made to keep comic books in mint shape, but I don't know. And yes, I know I can buy box bags here in the AA store, but I can get comic book bags for 20 cents each at a place just down the street from me :) .

I have been in the comic book buisness for 20 years. Check the front of the package of bags and see if they say acid free. These are the ones you want. If someone is charging you 20 cents each they are ripping you off. I sell a hundred acid free bags in my shop for $4.00 4 cents each.

One of the things that is important for comic book collectors also is to use tape that is acid free. Regular tape is not recommended.

Yes, but what if the tape is not actually touching the box, just the plastic?

Anyways, 20 cents may be a bit high for them, but they come with the cardboard backs. Not like it's gonna cost me $10 or anything.

One of the things that is important for comic book collectors also is to use tape that is acid free. Regular tape is not recommended.

Yes, but what if the tape is not actually touching the box, just the plastic?

Anyways, 20 cents may be a bit high for them, but they come with the cardboard backs. Not like it's gonna cost me $10 or anything.

Since they come with the boards that a bit better. Still a bit high, But as long as your happy. :)

Why would someone want bags with cardboard backs for boxes? Manuals maybe but boxes?

I use them for both, mostly for catalogs and the like until now (which is why I did the post in the first place). In my experience, they've been reliable, and they let me pick up and look at the box without worry of fingerprints or anything (though I do wash my hands before handling anything like that, anyways).

If you want the best archival quality bags money can buy, go with Mylar-D bags. Mylar is considered the best when it comes to protecting comic books and it is the only material used by the National Archives and the Library of Congress for preservation.

The bags are more expensive (about 2/3 times more)then the normal poly bags you find in comic shops, but if you want the best it comes at a price!

E. Gerber (www.egerber.com) is the main supplier/manufacturer(?) of these bags in the comic industry.

- Sal[/url]