IGNORED

Games/systems compatibility?

BlamBlam

Hi again

I just found 3 atari games I still have ( no console, sadly) and all three boxes say that they are compatible with both Atari 2600 and 7800. Are all 2600 games compatible with 7800 consoles? I'm guessing it's probably not the other way around. I'm just trying to figure out what I want to start looking for. There are some 2600 games I used to play that I'd definitely like to get again... The one I used to have was a 800xl ( as someone here told me) but I can't seem to find one. Any good place I could find one other than ebay?

thanks for any info about this!

Laurie

About 99% of 2600 games can be played on the 7800' date=' depending on the 7800 model. I know Gamefaqs has a FAQ that lists which ones can't be played.[/quote']

You keep mentioning that site, you do know that each system has a FAQ right here on AA right? :ponder:

Welcome to Atari Age! It doesn't have a simple answer, but generally, most all of the 2600 games will work on the 7800. There are a few exceptions.

Here is a recent thread in the 7800 concerning your question. It might be more information then you wanted.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50603

And yes, no 7800 games will work on a 2600.

I've been using my 7800 now for the last few weeks. It's not a bad system to pick up if you are just starting your collection. It's two systems in one.

You might try our marketplace forum over eBay.

About 99% of 2600 games can be played on the 7800' date=' depending on the 7800 model. I know Gamefaqs has a FAQ that lists which ones can't be played.[/quote']

You keep mentioning that site' date=' you do know that each system has a FAQ right here on AA right? :ponder:[/quote']

:lol:

I welcome newcomers here... but I think they should all be required to thoroughly peruse the contents of the site before they're allowed in the forums. (Actually... now that I think about it... with some creative use of cookies, this would be entirely feasible.)

Anyway... I actually just wanted to comment that it's more like 99.9% of 2600 games work on the 7800.

;)

Damn no more edit button! :mad:

I thought about my careless math right after I posted that. Well... I do still think it's higher than 99%. But probably more like 99.1 or 99.2. Whatever. I already looked like enough of a dork before this post. And yet... I just... know... I'm... gonna... click... Submit...

Hey

thanks everyone. I did a bit of reading and I'm starting to figure out some stuff. I get confused about other things as I go along though. Like; which games can be played on the xl computers? I know that 2600 games work but what about the rest? I didn't find info about this anywhere. There probably is, but I didn't find it. Maybe this should be an other topic entirely but now that we're at it... :D

Actually, the 2600 games DON'T work on those computers.

Atari did release a series of computer systems that all ran compatible software (with a few various RAM differences and whatnot). Most notable in the line you're dealing with were the 400, the 800, and the late '80s last-ditch revival effort, the XE Game System.

Hmmmm... I think I may be responding to something from a different thread I read earlier. (I need that Edit button, bad!)

Anyway... the only system Atari made other than the various incarnations of the 2600 that is capable of playing 2600 cartridges is the 7800.

Oh, and the 5200 if you bought that goofy adapter...