IGNORED

ballblazer

Dragonforce-Europe

Love it. Very smooth and action packed (Especially on droid 9!) I think the 7800 version is the best though.
I think the 7800 version suffers a bit for the lack of analog control.

Fun game on any platform(except FamiCom), though.

Love it. Very smooth and action packed (Especially on droid 9!) I think the 7800 version is the best though.

Eh, why does it need analog control?

Mitch

Mitch

It doesn't NEED it. Few games do.

It just feels a lot smoother with it than without.

Mitch

I haven't played the 5200 version of Ballblazer in a while but from what I recall, it doesn't use analog control either. Hence my question.

Mitch

Mitch

I haven't played the 5200 version of Ballblazer in a while but from what I recall, it doesn't use analog control either. Hence my question.

Mitch

I could've swore it did...

Not set up to check right now, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the 7800 version!!

This was one of the many games I picked up from Big Lots for like $2 along with my $24.99 7800 units. The games 3-D feel really stood out and uber impressed me.

Ballblazer was a daily play for me back then. Can't really comment on the 5200 version, I dont recall ever playing it.

Is the 5200's music as good as the 7800? :?

Yes, because the 7800 version included a POKEY in the cartridge. Same chip the 5200 uses for sound.

Otherwise the 5200 version would have unarguably superior music.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the 5200's music as good as the 7800? :?

Yes, because the 7800 version included a POKEY in the cartridge. Same chip the 5200 uses for sound.

Otherwise the 5200 version would have unarguably superior music.

Unless the programmer royally *&^$ed up the sound, which -- sadly -- can and does happen.

I have a 7800 COMMANDO which has better sounding music than the NES version, even though the NES has a better sound chip than even the POKEY.

I also have NES games that sound worse than Atari 2600 titles.

Sadly, there is no limit to the crap an incompetent programmer can put forth. LOL.

Sadly, there is no limit to the crap an incompetent programmer can put forth. LOL.

You mean like the NES port of "Ballblazer"?!? :P

I always think of SNES "Pit Fighter", myself.

Regarding Ballblazer, we had a lengthy discussion a few months ago in the 7800 forum about the differences/similarities strengths/weaknesses of the 7800 and the NES.

It went on and on, but the basic gyst of it was:

1. The 7800 never saw its true potential, due to most developers being locked into the NES; and the Tramiels never investing in licensing, manufacturing games, development times, tools etc.

2. The NES was better suited than the 7800 (and 5200) to tile based sidescrollers like SUPER MARIO BROTHERS. It's architecture made it super easy to create these types of games.

3. The 7800 (and 5200) were better suited than the NES to games that manipulated the display list, used large sprites and animated a lot of objects. Games like BALLBLAZER and SPACE HARRIER (had it been written) would have played right into the 7800's strengths.

I think the consensus was that NES BALLBLAZER blows because the NES wasn't optimized to play a game like BALLBLAZER. MARIA and PAM were. ;-)

Now SNES Pitfighter ... well ... that has no excuse except for incompetent programming. ;-)