IGNORED

Favorite/Best Sports Games

Gregory DG

What are your favorite sports games for the 2600? What are the best sports games?

I think my favs are Pete Rose Baseball (really liked this one after getting the GBA Activision Anthology!), RealSports Vollyball, and Super Football.

What say you? :)

Basketball. Yes, I know the game was very simple with blocky graphics, but I liked it darn it!

My favorite thing to do was to push backwards under my own basket and shoot a long shot which would score for the computer. I would do this once and then come back and win...then try 4 points...6 points...etc etc etc

Of course, I had to do the play-by-play in my head as well which added even more.

Cap

The only sports games on the Atari 2600 that I actually like to play repeatedly are:

Tennis (Activision)

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=555

Enduro (Activision) [is this a sports game?]

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=163

Golf (Atari)

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=215

Super Challenge Football (M Network) [needs a one player option]

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...wareLabelID=530

Ice Hockey - great game

Basketball - another great game

Football(the basic version - man we spent a LOT of time playing that game)

Tennis - again a lot of time was spent in heated battles over this game

Boxing - certainly a hand buster

:ponder:

My brother and I played Super Challenge Baseball (M-Network) every night before dinner. No 'one player mode' probably hurt the game, but for a two baseball game, it was by far my favorite sports game for atari.

I think my favs are Pete Rose Baseball (really liked this one after getting the GBA Activision Anthology!)

Ditto, fun to play the old baseball on the GBA, I also sneak in some NES RBI Baseball when I'm portable :)

I grew up with Tennis and Real Sports Baseball. I think I was really into Real Sports but I don't know what I was thinking, wish I had Pete Rose back then. But I moved on the Hardball on the 8bits soon enough.

Right now, my favorites are Ice Hockey and Skiing.

George Plimpton was right about the 2600 and sports games. The ones that try to be realistic are doomed from the start. You can play football on the 2600 if you want to, but it will be one of the lousiest football games you'll ever encounter.

Only a select handful work as fun games in their own right, regardless of fondness for the sport: Ice Hockey, Tennis, Realsports Tennis, Boxing, and Realsports Volleyball. There were quite a few good racing games, of course, but auto racing isn't a sport as far as I'm concerned.

No one voted for Racquetball?

When the question of sports games on the 2600 comes up, I'm always baffled by the lack of Double Dunk responses. Have you tried it? I know it's a 4 in the rarity guide and in my experience, it is more scarce that that. And it does have quite a tough difficulty curve. The computer is going to kick your ass at first. It has a 1989 release date, so it's not one that many played growing up.

But back in the early 90's I picked it up for $1 at Odd Lots and just played the heck out of it. I think the gameplay is almost comparable to the NES basketball games. What does anyone else think of it?

I've always listened to your praise of Double Dunk but I've never been able to get into it. The players movement and the flight of the ball seems too jerky to me, it's hard to play defense and get rebounds. But the one caveat is that I've never really got hooked with any Basketball games until NBA2K on the Dreamcast and PS2. I dabbled with Double Dribble and NBA Jam but I don't think basketball was a good videogame sport until recently.

My personal favorate is International Soccer. It is actually fast enough to enjoy and exciting enough for two players. Also, I'm a big fan of Bowling because I can usually win when I play against others. I guess my next favorate is Skiing because it is so fast!

I've always listened to your praise of Double Dunk but I've never been able to get into it.  The players movement and the flight of the ball seems too jerky to me, it's hard to play defense and get rebounds.  But the one caveat is that I've never really got hooked with any Basketball games until NBA2K on the Dreamcast and PS2.  I dabbled with Double Dribble and NBA Jam but I don't think basketball was a good videogame sport until recently.

Did you play it on an emulator or the real thing? I ask because I've never played it much with an emulator and maybe it is off a bit.

But then too, if you're not much into video game basketball, at least the old ones, I can see it wouldn't be your type of sports game. I played a ton of Double Dribble, Archrivals and Techmo Basketball on the NES.

Anyone else with opinions on Double Dunk? Despite my custom status, I can handle criticism of the game. Though I can't see why the Video Game Critic gave it such a poor review. What a jerk. ;)

Did you play it on an emulator or the real thing?  I ask because I've never played it much with an emulator and maybe it is off a bit.

Both, today it was an emulator but I've also had the same feeling on the real deal. Just doesn't feel as smooth as an Activision sports game IMHO.

I agree with the VGC that passes are intercepted too easily and that bugs me but maybe it takes many hours of play to get the hang of it, so I bow the Zen master :D