IGNORED

Bizzare 800XL Behavior..

Just plugged in a new 800XL I recently picked up..

Has anyone ever gotten a gray text screen, kinda like black and white except in grays?

Now I checked some games and they are all in full color.. Electraglyde is looking stellar.. well it just did till you exit the first tunnel.. Then whistlers brother played fine? It's just on DOS & Basic Screens that theres no color for the most part..? I figured If I had the monitor cables messed up I'd see no color at all so whats up? 800XL is dying maybe?

Daniel

hmmm... I think its necessarry to change colors (someday i received 8ooXL with green text screen - 5 minutes with screwdriver and now the colors are fine), or maybe yo picked up the PAL version of this wonderful machine...

Maybe some screenshots, cause i don't know if i think in correct way. :)

It may be the color adjustment potentiometer inside the machine. There is a small hole in the bottom of the system where you can adjust it, but it is hard to find something that fits in there. I took mine apart when I had color problems (with it shifting from grey to color on the basic screen)

Here is the thread that shows a picture of my worn out color adjustment pot. I eventually got it adjusted to where the color was good.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...p=473049#473049

So adjusting this pot fixed the slective color/non color issues?

Daniel

Yeah, you can actually try adjusting it from the bottom of the machine. If you can find a pair of scisors or something you could adjust it without taking it apart.

It is worth a shot, and if that isn't it, you can easily adjust it back with no problem.

post-3803-1086760930_thumb.jpg

I am using the chroma luma hookups.. and I know I have that all set up right cause the XE looks sweet..

Have you done a mod on this 800XL, or is it one of the late model ones with a Chroma pin?

Most 800XLs did NOT have the chroma pin hooked up, so chroma/luma won't work properly unless you've done a mod on it.

Can you/have you try/tried just straight composite video?

No I haven't tried it' date=' just the luma.. but then why would color work at all?

If it's not hooked up I should get nothing right? Or at least thats my logic in it.[/quote']

Well, I don't know exactly what's happening, but I do know that most XL machines didn't have Chroma at the monitor jack, where the XE did. Try using the composite video if you can.