IGNORED

Another repair question - 2600 power switch

digitalwndr

If you can solder / de-solder, just switch it with the BW / Color Switch. Most likely the BW / Color switch has never been used anyway and is good as new.

Another option is to take apart the Power switch and 'tighten' up the contacts - in my experience, this works "OK", but I prefer to switch the power switch with the BW / Color one - I've done it on a couple of units to date.

Jerry

Definitely NOT a soldering job for the inexperienced. You should avoid this method if you're not good or experienced with soldering.

In my personal experience, I also don't like taking the switch apart and adjusting it, but it DOES help with the function of the switch - but you have to be really careful.

Your best bet may be to 'bypass' that switch altogether. Do you have any other spare switch lying around? Something mountable to the ATARI body would work great. I've installed another switch to the ATARI body and then wired it up to where the current switch is wired - in essence bypassing the original switch altogether. This works, but takes away from the original look of the system - depends how picky you are, I guess...

Hope this helps,

Jerry

What ya do is get a nice' date=' good, heavy-duty toggle switch and mount it into the switch panel. Or, better yet, replace it with a push button switch like the one on the nes. ;)[/quote']

yuck.. if anything.. ask and Ill send you a good, near new switch to replace;)

If you are no good at soldering but are good at working with small parts you could always take the switch apart. It is pretty easy to get it apart, but getting it back together can be tricky sometimes.

Bend the 8 tabs on the side of the switch in take the top of the swithc off, clean and bend the contacts so they hit harder and then put it back together. I have done it to my system one time and it has worked like new ever since. :)

If you are no good at soldering but are good at working with small parts you could always take the switch apart. It is pretty easy to get it apart' date=' but getting it back together can be tricky sometimes.

Bend the 8 tabs on the side of the switch in take the top of the swithc off, clean and bend the contacts so they hit harder and then put it back together. I have done it to my system one time and it has worked like new ever since. :)[/quote']

Sounds a lot like disassembling the pot in a set of paddles -- pretty simple as long as you pay attention to the order things got taken apart. :-)

Sounds a lot like disassembling the pot in a set of paddles -- pretty simple as long as you pay attention to the order things got taken apart. :-)

Yeah it isn't very hard to do the power and black and white switches, but it is tough to get the reset and select switches back together with the spring going back in right.

Yeah it isn't very hard to do the power and black and white switches' date=' but it is tough to get the reset and select switches back together with the spring going back in right.[/quote']

If worse came to worst would you be able to replace those with a generic two-prong momentary switch? I have plenty of access to those and generic toggle switches (the sort used in the difficulty switch on four-switchers) at cost, so it'd be cool to know I could get some cheaply. :-)