IGNORED

Bought a system, tryin to make it work. Help a newbie...

Ultimate Diva

You guys probably get tons of questions from morons like me. I ordered my system (Atari 2600) off Ebay. The seller seemed cool, indicated that everything worked. I got the system and can not for the life of me get it to work. I spoke with the seller and he tried to walk me through the problems, but couldn't. Two possibilities: (1) he's a liar and it doesn't work. (2) I am an idiot and can't set it up.

My question: are there any typical mistakes or missing pieces that a newbie like me would make? Any advice for making my system work. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have all these kick-ass games, but not be able to play them. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, just curious, are u using a RF box or connecting the cable comming outta the 2600 to the A/V port in the TV? You might want to get one of the RF adapters that u can screw in the back of the TV to the RF connector.

Hope that helps

Osbo

Is your power supply plugged in? If the part of the PS that plugs into the back of the Atari isn't plugged in all the way, the Atari will not power up. Do you have a game in when you turn the system on? Do you have the TV on the correct channel? What type of power supply are you using?

A little like this?

FTypeConnector_1_Large.jpg

If so then that's a good thing -- they produce a nice clean picture on a television.

Just a checklist of things to make sure of:

1. Make sure the RF cable from the back of the 2600 is connected to the above adapter and that the above adapter is connected to the cable input on the back of your TV.

2. Make sure the AC adapter (power pack) is plugged into the back of the 2600 via the 3.5mm (1/8") pin jack on the back of the unit, and the other end into the wall. (I know, "duh" ...)

3. Make sure the channel selector on the back of your 2600 is set to the same channel you're using on your TV -- usually channel 2 or 3.

4. Make sure there is a cartridge firmly inserted in the slot.

Now the questions: Does it power up at all, or does the TV snow remain when the unit is powered on? If it powers on with a game in the system, does the game show up at all, or is just a black screen?

OK...

mindfield--

1. done

2. yes, but--its plugged in, but wierdly it looks like it should screw into the atari, but it just plugs in. it is in the wall however.

3. yup

4. yup

oso/minefield/

Does it power up at all, or does the TV snow remain when the unit is powered on?

If it powers on with a game in the system, does the game show up at all, or is just a black screen?

sorry got cut off--

Does it power up at all, or does the TV snow remain when the unit is powered on?

--i can't tell if its on. seems stupid, but there's no power light or anything.

this makes me think it's broken.

If it powers on with a game in the system, does the game show up at all, or is just a black screen?

--haven't gotten this far

assuming for a second its broken, do you all have recommendations for RELIABLE sellers of 2600 consoles? I now have a ton of games. the one that's killing me is ADVENTURE...i literally have dreams about that game from my childhood---wierd.

assuming for a second its broken' date=' do you all have recommendations for RELIABLE sellers of 2600 consoles? I now have a ton of games. the one that's killing me is ADVENTURE...i literally have dreams about that game from my childhood---wierd.[/quote']

Drop CPUWIZ or Povlok1 a private message. Both are extremely reliable and will set you up with a very nice starter system.

wow--I just went through some of the older topics in this forum, you guys have answered questions like mine tons of time yet still have the patience to deal with another newbie. thanks.

so just because it does not make noise does not mean it's not working? that makes me feel a bit better.

so just because it does not make noise does not mean it's not working? that makes me feel a bit better.

Yes, it could be working, but you just don't see anything on the screen. You will know it is working when the static goes away and you see either a black screen, colored bars, or better yet, a game. :)

The RF wire could be bad or touchy. I have one rf cable that I need to wiggle just right by the end connector to get it to work.

Or the power supply could be bad.

get a new power cord? not tonight.
You can usually see a small blue spark when you plug the power supply into the back of the system. Or you could use a multimeter if you have one.

And if the power supply is indeed bad you can pick up a universal adapter from radio shack prety cheap. Just make sure you can set it to 9VDC 500mA, with the tip positive.

How many/which cartridges have you tried?

My 2600 is currently having a problem with its cartridge slot - Activision games aren't making full contact, and usually all I get is static. Atari games are all working fine though. So it could be bad or dirty cartridges.

If you know someone with a multimeter (available at Radio Shack), you can test the power supply to see if it's good or not. Any hobbiest who dabbles in electronics will have one. You might also be able to test it with a flashlight bulb, as long as it's rated for 9 volts.

It could be the RF cable came unplugged from inside the Atari, but that's unlikely.

It could also be a bad power switch. Does the switch feel solid, or sloppy?

I love non-working Atari 2600 components...and then tinkering with them till they work. That is part of the draw of this hobby.

Taking a cartridge that won't work, seeing the dust bunnies inside, and cleaning it out...and getting it to work.

One of my Atari 2600's has a strange problem where the color fails to gray within 5 minutes. If you shut it off, and turn it on again, it will again work for another 5 minutes. Never figured that one out :)

Maybe for the answer to this guy's issue, other than using that adapter thingie, is to get some compressed air. There's nothing it and donuts can't do.

I'd spend a whole day trying to get a "broken" atari working, studying schematics and such. But then the compressed air would be the solution anyway. That would be a fun project (not kidding).

Send the thing to me! hehe If it costed no shipping, I'd actually be serious. I'm not actually skilled with electronics or anything, but I pretend pretty well I think.

You know, hanging out on these forums for so long, I simply can no longer believe there is such thing as a broken Atari.

But maybe I should take that back, since I did have two cartridges that died no matter how much I tried.

But I still cannot believe they are completely gone...electronics are just like that.

Apart from a fall from a 5 story window, I don't believe that an Atari can be truly "broken".

oh ok... are u moving the selector from TV to the game? I mean' date=' are u getting anything on the TV at all?[/quote']

She's using a thing that defeats the use of a switchbox. Therefore, there is no TV/Game selector.

Just pointing that out.

wow--I just went through some of the older topics in this forum' date=' you guys have answered questions like mine tons of time yet still have the patience to deal with another newbie. thanks.

so just because it does not make noise does not mean it's not working? that makes me feel a bit better.[/quote']

Eh I get the same problem with any of the 2600s I own so I just use a 7800 which plays 2600 games.

I would highly recommend contacting CPUWIZ for advice or possibly another system.

I need to get a reliable 2600 myself and I think I've had some of the same problems you are having now.

Oh, and welcome to AtariAge. In case no one has already welcomed you. :D

Yep, welcome to AA. :) I had problems with my rf box(the box with the t.v/game switch on it) so I went to Radio Shack and bought an rf adapter that screws directly into the back of the t.v. It only cost 3 bucks or so and besides being much simpler it made for a much better picture. Hope it works out for you, let us know.

Oh, there are broken Ataris. I've had to resolder a few finicky contacts and replace a few ICs in my time. I'm no expert by any means, but I usually figure out what I need to know by a combination of past experience and the helpful folks here who are much better at it than I. :-)

As to the issue at hand -- if turning it on produces absolutely no visible results (no picture of any kind on the screen -- even a black one -- or even a change in the nature of the static, such as a fuzzy image that's trying but failing to come through) then there are a few possibilities:

1) The channel is set wrong. If the channel selector and the TV channel are in agreement, but there is no picture, try changing channels right up through the UHF range. If you have a foriegn console then the RF channel it shows up on may differ from the usual channel 3/4/5 on North American TVs. I had a Taiwanese Famicom clone once that used channel 13, and IIRC European consoles use some channel in the higher UHF range.

2) If that doesn't work, then something may be dead. The first suspect would of course be the AC adapter. If you have one lying around, grab a universal AC adapter capable of handling 500mA or higher, set to 9V with tip-positive polarity, using the 3.5mm (1/8") jack -- it looks like a headphone jack -- though certain models, such as the Sears Video Arcade II, use a female 5mm barrel jack, which is larger than the headphone-style and has a hole down the center. (In English, the AC adapter will usually have a list of its specifications right on it, and one of it will be its amperage, which is the amount of power it is capable of supplying whatever it is plugged into. The Atari 2600 can operate on 300 milliamps (mA) but some games suck a little more power, so a 500mA AC adapter is reccommended. Such AC adapters will also have a selectable voltage switch that usually ranges from 1.5V to 12V -- the 2600 uses 9v. Finally, some AC adapters have a switch to alter which parts of the connector are for positive and negative voltage. The Atari requires the tip to be the positive; the switch will usually have an icon beside it that looks like the tip of the jack with a "+" or "-" next to it) If you don't have a universal AC adapter, you can pick one up at Radio Shack or pretty well any other electronics store. Again, make sure it's rated for at least 500mA. (More is fine, but will cost more; less may not provide enough power)

3) If that doesn't work then the RF cable in the 2600 may be damaged. If you're at all comfortable taking something apart, you can open up the 2600 and you'll find that the other end of the RF cord (the one that goes inside the 2600) is an RCA jack just like the one that goes into the adapter that plugs into a TV. It's plugged right into the 2600's motherboard. Any single RCA cable can be used to replace this -- you just unplug the old one and plug in the new one, then put the machine back together.

4) If that doesn't work (and indeed if you felt comfortable enough to even attempt the procedure) then there's probably something a little dead inside the 2600 -- power supply, voltage regulator, RF unit, or even one of the more important chips may be to blame. In a case like that, it can probably still be repaired, but it may require some soldering, and may also require replacements parts, which itself may require a donor unit from which you can raid them, and if you don't much go in for all that techie stuff, it's probably just time to hit the 'wiz or Povlok up for a good, working system. :-)