IGNORED

Quickshot QS-129f Pad

oesii

I received this joystick in a big Amiga 1000 hardware and software lot someone dropped off for me.

j_quickshotpad.jpg

From this nice page:

http://www.pelikonepeijoonit.net/articles/.../joystickz.html

I got this description:

QuickShot pad (QS-129F) 

Much like rock bands, joystick designers don't usually know when to quit. As has been the sad case here. Imagine the sheer delight of gripping this pad by the handles, using your right thumb to control your heavily armed spacecraft and your left thumb to fire. 

This thing is hilarious, what were these guys thinking? I tried it first with Berzerk, what a mess, it's very hard to move diagonally or to move and shoot at the same time. It actually wasn't too bad with games that mainly require you to move side to side. Phoenix and Galaxain were playable and I could see it being comfortable for this type of game.

Anyone have any good experiences with this pad? I'm wondering what the A-D switchs do and the right shoulder button doesn't work with the 2600, were Amiga's wired for two-button joysticks? I didn't think they were.

A/D switches are usually to switch between analog and digital mode. I'd imagine in analog mode it sends a higher signal down the trigger line to simulate maximum resistance, effectively acting like you'd moved an analog stick to its furthest position in a given direction, as opposed to digital mode which just puts the line high when the trigger is pressed.

Or something like that. In all likelihood that stick wasn't intended specifically for Amigas -- it probably could have been used on any system that used 9-pin DIN ports, and the A/D switch was for those systems that used analog sticks.