IGNORED

Question about original VCS

BassGuitari

If I am not mistaken, there were two "versions" of the original Atari VCS (the earlier made in California, the latter made in Hong Kong). My question is, were standard controllers included with the later Heavy Sixer/Big Sexies? Were the special controllers included with the Sunnyvale system only?

The "heavy sixer" controllers were only released with the original 1977 Sunnyvale Sixer. There were no heavy sixers released outside of Sunnyvale, nor after 1977, as far as I know, though there were some light sixers and even a few four-switchers that did come out of Sunnyvale.

Essentially, it goes like this:

- "Heavy Sixer." Manufactured exclusively in Sunnyvale, California, only in 1977. '77 accessories can easily be identified. Original joysticks had a hexagonal aluminum disc with the Fuji logo recessed into the top of each joystick's boot. These usually fell out, though, so most of these sticks simply have a recessed area at the top of the boot. Later sticks were perfectly flat. These joysticks also had spring loaded fire buttons. First-year paddles and driving controllers can be identified by the Atari name and logo on the aluminum plate, where later versions have the word "Paddle" or "Driving." First-year AC adapter is gray, not the usual black of later models.

- Most of the subsequent models -- light sixer, four-switch woody, vader, and Jr. were manufactured in Hong Kong from 1978 and onward. Some (probably the first batches) of the light sixers and four-switch woodies came out of Sunnyvale. This is the one bit of lore that inspires so many eBayers to assume that if it says "Sunnyvale" on it, that means it's a heavy sixer. I don't think any vaders or Jr's were made in Sunnyvale.

The "heavy sixer" controllers were only released with the original 1977 Sunnyvale Sixer.  There were no heavy sixers released outside of Sunnyvale

Although I can't answer your question as to the joysticks, I know the above is rubbish. I have handled many Taiwan heavy-sixers myself. ;)

The "heavy sixer" controllers were only released with the original 1977 Sunnyvale Sixer.  There were no heavy sixers released outside of Sunnyvale

Although I can't answer your question as to the joysticks, I know the above is rubbish. I have handled many Taiwan heavy-sixers myself. ;)

They actually released some in Taiwan? Were they any different than the Sunnyvale models? I always thought that once Atari moved their manufacturing overseas was when they moved on to the lighter models...

They actually released some in Taiwan?  Were they any different than the Sunnyvale models?

Yes, they say Taiwan on them. LOL

Seriously, same molding but all the ones I have seen do have the channel select switch, most of the 1977 Sunnyvale models I have seen, do not! They are fixed on a single channel. :)

So, yes, there are at least 3 different model heavy sixers I have held in my hands alone. Sunnyvale with and without channel select and the Taiwan model with channel select. Nevermind the Sears heavy sixers. :ponder: