IGNORED

O'Shea is looking for someone to reverse engineer 7800

kheffington

Found this post on usenet by O'Shea LTD.

We need an Inventor/Engineer who has the ability to recreate in a new simple

system the 7800 console!

O'Shea, Ltd. is located in Kansas City, MO since 1975. We own 1 million

Atari game cartridges from the late 70's. Many of you know that the Atari

7800 uses 8-Bit graphics. We are looking for someone to remake and simplify

the 7800 inner workings of the consoles i.e.board, chips, wire layout, and

anything else that might be needed.

The units need to be able to plug into TV or computer, have a cartridge

slot, and be able to use 2 joysticks. We are looking for a easier way to

manufacture the system. Our plan is to manufacture 200,000 of these units

and kit them each with 5 of our Atari Cartridges & market them at retail

throughout the US.

If you have the engineering background and ability to reverse engineer the

old 7800 console and

are able to design this unit please contact us.

Thanks,

Brian Raynor

O'Shea, Ltd.

330 W. 47th St. #203

Kansas City, MO USA 64112

Phone# 816-531-1177

Fax# 816-531-6569

email: boshea@earthlink.net       www.atariclassic.com

The reason I asked was because they have been posting requests like that, every once in a while, for at least three or four years.

Mitch

I concur, I think we had a discussion a couple of years ago on this forum about the feasibility of making 200k consoles and trying to sell them to the general public at retail price. I don't think it would fly if it was more than $25 like those Jakks Tv Games.

I don't see any way this could be financially sound. People would clamor for more cartridges which would simply not exist. I suppose the idea would be to market as a five game console period, and how you could price it appropriately and still profit from it seems an impossibility.

Well, whatever comes out of this, I wish them luck. I'll buy one, just to own a new non-Atari created 7800. That would be extremely sweet. Now, if they could get some programmers to put together some more games, then i'd be truly happy.

I think what would have to happen first is someone would have to find a schematic for the Maria chip, just as one was found for the TIA chip. Then someone else would have to convert it to VHDL (as was done with the TIA chip). It might be possible to make a Maria clone by writing to the spec (since it didn't have a bunch of quirks that programmers relied on), but it would be easier to start from a circuit diagram.

If all the digital electronics could be put in one ASIC chip, including a very small ROM that just does the absolute minimum (it probably wouldn't need to be more than 256 bytes, which would avoid copyright problems too), then the main cost issue would become connectors and plastics. Including the TIA in there would be nice, too (you need TIA sound anyhow), especially since O'Shea's probably has 2600 games to get rid of too.

The cost of the connectors and plastics should not be understimated, but at a quantity of 200K they should be relatively cheap per unit. I think it's doable, but it's only doable with a VHDL 7800.

If they added RCA or S-Video jacks, I'd probably pick up a 7800. Still, it sounds like a pile of work and risk. The 7800 isn't exactly the most "simple" of designs with a mesh of 2600, XE and proprietary hardware crammed onto mother board. I also wonder how much testing O'Sheas would do to ensure compatibility.

I'd get one, just to let my 7800 rest, possibally two... I know other people who would get one (for themselves or kids) IF it could be made to work on any or nearly any TV.

Perhaps we should make a POLL abput this.

Would you purchase a NEW 3rd party developed Atari 7800 cartridge player for the tv or computer, with 5 games?

a) YES!

b) NO!

c) only if the system was with something better then RF or modifiable

d) only with my/my 7800 genuis friends input on making the system better

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Would you purchase a NEW 3rd party developed Atari 7800 cartridge player for the tv or computer, with 5 games?

a) YES!

b) NO!

c) only if the system was with something better then RF or modifiable

d) only with my/my 7800 genuis friends input on making the system better

d) Several such systems.

If the price was reasonable I'd have to own one. It would be cool if they eliminated the encryption key, even though it has been broken, and maybe make a few nods to homebrewers (which might be tough to do with an eye on the price).

I would think this project wouldn't be prohibitive for someone who is really determined and doesn't expect to make a lot of money. For compatibility I suppose the 6502 emulator and TIA emulator would have to be spot on for timing to make sure games work right, but I imagine you could have some flexibility with the Maria emulator provided the emulation at least exceeded the original (which shouldn't be too difficult, honestly).

Eric

Given stated purpose of this thing (moving carts out of the O'Sheas warehouse), anything which is unnecessary is going to increase the cost, which will decrease the number of potential customers, and therefore won't be included.

But in order to be cheap enough (single chip ASIC), it would be extremely likely that it would be small. Which means that a portable 7800 mod (like the already existing portable 2600 mods) would actually be possible.

Given stated purpose of this thing (moving carts out of the O'Sheas warehouse), anything which is unnecessary is going to increase the cost, which will decrease the number of potential customers, and therefore won't be included.

But in order to be cheap enough (single chip ASIC), it would be extremely likely that it would be small.  Which means that a portable 7800 mod (like the already existing portable 2600 mods) would actually be possible.

A portable 7800? Stop it Bruce, you're making me drool... :D