IGNORED

One really odd fact

Classic Pac

Guess again. Such programs would need to be limited to text-only using no system-specific commands. And you can forget all about branching to a machine language routine (which is almost a necessity if you want to create anything that moves faster than a snail in quicksand).

In other words...programs written way back in the 70's.

Those of us who were addicted to BASIC programming back when 8-bit computers were all the rage know all to well how false that statement is!

I remember spending hours trying to "translate" a BASIC program from one computer to another. There were so many differences in sound and graphics handling, screen size, even basic text handling between computers. Even the simplest program would require some translation between Atari BASIC and Microsoft BASIC.

But BASIC programming was incredibly fun. I miss the days when it was one of the primary reasons for buying a computer was to learn how to program it.

For an example...look at this small program:

10 REM ARTIFICIAL EGO BOOST PROGRAM

20 INPUT "What is your name";NAME$

30 PRINT NAME$;" is an excellent programmer!"

When executed in some Basic's it will work fine. It will crash on line 20 in Atari Basic though (because the maximum length for NAME$ was never defined).

If I remember correctly, won't that program have trouble with Commodore BASIC too because string variables can only be up to 2 characters?

not positive but I think so... :?

Yes & no.

The basic editor will allow you to type any lenght variable name, but it only actually uses the first two. This can be a problem in itself tho as if you tried to use NAME & NATO, they would both reflect the same variable token.

I love my CBM's, but their basic editor was annoyingly quirky at times.

I doubt that even that's possible.  On computers like the Sinclair even an all text program would need to be reworked.

anyway, I needed a good laugh  :D

Yeah, and for instance using BBC Structured BASIC I can say;

1 x=10

But on a Sinclair Spectrum I would have to say;

10 LET x=10