IGNORED

I like my 800XL

Brad2600

As I posted in Classic Gaming General, I picked up a working 800XL with 2 cart games for $10 at a flea market yesterday. I booted it up and it's really interesting.

Is this the system that the 5200 was based on?

What kind of games should I get for my 800XL? Anything that REALLY stands out?

This is the 3rd Atari computer I've owned (and the first one that works). It's nice. I can see where the 1200XL took inspiration from, design-wise.

Now I get it. :D

I did notice that Pole Position doesn't look at good on the 800XL as it looks on the 5200 but I could be wrong.

You may have to tweak the visuals on your 800XL, or even investigate (in time) the video-mod upgrade.

BTW, there are two versions of Pole Position available for the 8-bits, although gameplay is the same. ;)

You won't be disappointed with any Atari cartridge release -- with the exception of Iinto the Eagles' Nest, which you won't be able to obtain easily in any case -- and I would start my collection there.

If you have a bit of cash to spare, get Castle Crisis. It's an outstanding port of Warlords. [/i]

As I posted in Classic Gaming General, I picked up a working 800XL with 2 cart games for $10 at a flea market yesterday. I booted it up and it's really interesting.  

Is this the system that the 5200 was based on?  

This is the 3rd Atari computer I've owned (and the first one that works). It's nice. I can see where the 1200XL took inspiration from, design-wise.

The 5200 was really more of 400 without a keyboard and the 800xl came

out AFTER the 1200xl, but the 5200 is pretty much the excact same

tech as the 8bit computers. Almost all the games ported over to the

5200 are the same as on the computers.... one game I remember that

is better on the 5200 is centipede, but of course all the 5200 releases

that were not out for the 8bits or were better on the 5200 were unofficially

ported to the 8bit computers (via the 5200 man). One game that was

redone on the 5200 but the orig atari 800 version was better is Krazy

shootout.

Umm as far as what stands out IMO Star Raiders, Krazy Shootout,

Ms Pac Man, Zybex, Drop Zone, Alley Cat, Donkey kong, Dk jr,

ummm... that's all I can think of off hand I'm sure others can fill in

blanks.

kvn

You can't go wrong with one of the classic arcade translations. Pacman, Mspac, Defender, Qix, Moon Patrol, DK, Dkjr, Missile Command, Joust, Dig Dug, Galaxian, Asteroids, Pole Position, Star Raiders (excellent game), Centipede, and Caverns of Mars are what I have. I've got Robotron and David's Midnight Magic on there way from another AA user too.

BTW, Kepone, I've got an extra Caverns of Mars if you wanna do a trade. Its kind of a vertical scrolling Super Cobra. Send me a PM if interested.

You can find info on it here:

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/atari8/cave...ns_of_mars.html

PS - If anyone has an 8-bit lode runner they wanna trade or sell, PM me too.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still quite clueless sometimes about certain things.

I do like the design of the 800XL though. Pretty slick looking.

I also played Dig Dug yesterday and it's pretty nice looking as well.

Kind of a goofy question, but is there any way to make a 800XL work on a commodore monitor? I'm assuming that's a "no" but it would be interesting.

The reason I ask is because it would be more authenic to play a classic computer system on a classic computer monitor. I could also keep my eyes out for an Atari monitor as well.

Kind of a goofy question, but is there any way to make a 800XL work on a commodore monitor? I'm assuming that's a "no" but it would be interesting.

If the monitor has A/V jacks then all you have to do is make a monitor cable for your atari, or buy one from someone. (that is the round socket on the back of the machine marked "Monitor")

To make a video cord isn't very hard, but maybe someone else has one made up if you don't want to make it yourself.

Here is a site that explains the pinout for the atari.

The monitor does indeed have A/V jacks.

I hope to find someone who has them (or the required equipment to make this transition work) or make a cable myself (I only want basic A/V compatibility..not S Video or anything else).

If I can get this setup to work, I can set aside a space in my bedroom to use exclusively for old computers. :D

I actually used a keyboard cable from an old IBM pc. (it has the same round 5 pin plug) then hooked up some rca connectors to it. It works okay, but I am sure I could get better video with a quality cable. I know some come up on ebay from time to time, but they are pretty easy to make.

and I am pretty sure that the c64 has the same pinouts

Imho the following games are most outstanding:

All Lucasfilm Games:

-The Eidolon

-Rescue on Fractalus

-Ballblazer

The Alternate Reality series:

The City

The Dungeon

The Games done by Archer McLean:

-Drop Zone

-International Karate

Most gameplaying fun:

-Boulder Dash

-Master of the lamps

-The great american cross country road race

-Archon

-Bounty Bob strikes back

-Zybex

-Draconus

Some games from eastern europe:

-Wloczykij

-Snowball

-Rockman

-T34-The Battle

And there are many more...

The 800XL is a great system, basically an 800XL or 130XE are great machines, I personally love my 800 the most, but thats me...

The 5200 is basically an Atari 400 repackaged back in 1982.

As far as games, it depends what type you're into: Adventure, arcade/action, skills/puzzles etc....

Curt

I actually used a keyboard cable from an old IBM pc. (it has the same round 5 pin plug) then hooked up some rca connectors to it. It works okay, but I am sure I could get better video with a quality cable. I know some come up on ebay from time to time, but they are pretty easy to make.  

So, any idea on how to make them? I could always give it a shot.

This may sound confusing but it works for me. I'm not sure which model of Commodore monitor you have but here's what I do:

I have an 1802 and as was previously mentioned, these monitors have standard a/v outputs. Since I also use this as a tv, to get a signal to the monitor I hook up and old, non-working vcr to the monitor via the audio/video outs on the vcr to the audio/video in's on the monitor. Then its simply a matter of hooking up a standard RF switch to the antenna in on the vcr, switch to channel 3 on the vcr and presto, atari on a commodore monitor. There may be better ways but thats my low-tech solution.

So, any idea on how to make them? I could always give it a shot.

if you don't care to make one. Simply buy a Commodore or Atari monitor

cable (has the round connector on one side and 3 rca cables on the other)

all commodore monitors support the three rca jacks

but alot of ataris dont so you may need a rca y connector to combine

the chroma and luma wires.. no big deal they sell them everywhere.

The 8bit will look awesome on monitor compared to a TV, you wont

regret it. I had my 8bit plugged into my commodore 1084s for years.

kvn