IGNORED

Atari 800XE

Its pretty rare in the US, I believe it was only marketed in Europe.

I've seen maybe two of them since the 90s.

For some upgrade like OS boards and things that plug into the VLSI sockets, it should be 100% compatible.

For memory upgrades it depends on what type of ram chips are in there. If there are 4x64k chips you wont be able to use most memory upgrades. If there are 1x64k chips then pretty much any 800XL memory upgrade should work allowing for the parts being in different locations.

Steve

how rare is this computer? And how good is it in comparsion to other atari computers? i would really like to know how i could upgrade this computer. what could be upgraded etcetc :)

It is pretty common in Europe (Czech) I have 2 of them. It is like 130 XE but only with 64 KB

It was made for the European market and its a roll of the dice on them.... they were used from various old stock chips and many times the systems were assembled "out of spec" with a mixture of older and newer rev chips and various semiconductors...

Some 800XE's are as stable and reliable as a 65XE/130XE others are a timing disaster with software issues and lockups.

It was Atari's attempt to use up remaining stocks of chips as the XE line (once the XEGS was released) was well past its prime and it was time for it to come to a closure.

Curt

Hmm, the 800 XE is the same machine, as the 65 XE. The 800 XE was "specially" made for the eastern European market. Most of them where sold in Germany for the "poor" inhabitants of the GDR (Eastern Germany), so here in Germany you can find many of them ;)

It was made for the European market and its a roll of the dice on them.... they were used from various old stock chips and many times the systems were assembled "out of spec" with a mixture of older and newer rev chips and various semiconductors...

You are right. There was for example one series with bad GTIA. :( It does not display graphics 9 - 11 properly.

PFonck You might want to check out my webpage with info and mods on my 800XE (see link below)
Cool home MODs there! Well done. 8) You have done some good stuff there! certainly de-soldering chips off a PCB is a real pain.

It's a nice informative website detailing your efforts. Nice one!