IGNORED

"Mom sold my Atari Collection at a Yard Sale" Supp

Kenwood

Well it was my step mother not my mother (she would never do that) but I had my whole atari collection, Tandy coco system with lots of carts, disks, accessories AND my vintage Star Wars figures and playsets sold while I was living with friends up north one summer when I was 18 (many, many years ago)

She apparently took it upon herself to decide I was too old for those things.

Excuse me. . .

I suddenly feel ill :woozy:

My mother is the greatest. She didn't seel my Atari...nor my baseball cards...nor anything else...even after I left for college. Now granted, when I got out of school, I was told to come get them, but she never once threatened to sell them....okay so maybe once or twice she did, but that was because I was probably misbehaving in some way. ;)

Cap

I forgot one thing: she did throw away Glibs because it wouldn't work at all. This was long before I found out about cleaning cart contact. It probably wouldn't have mattered back then, Glib was a sucky game with no play value and I didn't know until almost 10 years later that Glib is really rare and worth quite a lot.

If that Glib didn't get destroyed, it's probably in the landfill south-east of Ann Arbor. I wouldn't hold out for intact label though.

My mom gave away our 2600 stuff to a cousin, who surely doesn't have it any more (maybe I should have asked when I saw him last summer). But she made sure I knew she was doing it. It really wasn't much of a loss except a lot of instructions... and I didn't even know we had a Montezuma's Revenge until I found one years later and started it up. Otherwise, the rarest game we had was probably Shark Attack.

On the other hand, I have no idea what happened to our old 5200. I was able to find most of the carts in my mom's storage (including the gold-label Miner 2049er), so again, not much of a loss.

I only recently got into Atari 2600. Wanted one in the past but my parents never got me one back in the late 80s / early 90s. I still live with my parents (anybody got a job and a place for me? :D ) and if my mom throws my Atari stuff out now I'll dump her in the garbage too :twisted:

Hi my name is Kenwood.....and my Mom sold my entire Atari 2600 Collection at a yard sale.

Bro, it's time you divorce your mother.

I won't even get into all the Baseball Cards my brother and I had that could have put us through Harvard Law School ;)

My mom never threw any of my Atari stuff away, the only thing I can think of that she got rid of that I miss were my old rubber Hot Wheels tracks. At least I still have the launcher that you crank to shoot the cars and makes such an ungodly amount of noise. :)

But you know what family member actually came close to throwing my Atari stuff away? Some wicked stepmother? The cousin that nobody ever mentions?? No. It was my lovely wife!!! I came home from work one day, and she was cleaning the tiny apartment we used to have. She told me she was trying to throw things away and asked if I needed any of the old junk in the boxes behind the door because she was going to get rid of it. That's right, my childhood 2600 and games!!! :x We still go to counseling about this.

Well my grandma kept the old 7800 in the closet for years and then when I grew up she gave it to me. I guess it was the opposite. However, all the hookups were lost and I am still cheap to get new ones.

I also found a brand new Nintendo just sitting in the shed. Without that, I would have had nothing to do at college.

That's right, my childhood 2600 and games!!! :x   We still go to counseling about this.

That's why I made clear to my girlfriend how much I value my Moby and Atari collection :) I think she got the message, because she bought me an Atari shirt when we were just together. Probably saved me a lot of counceling :P

Perhaps because my father is a hopeless packrat?

I bet my dad is worse :) We have so much useless stuff around our house it isn't even funny.

But I am glad to say that nothing except my ti994a is gone (and it is probably around here somewhere, I just can't find it)

Hi, my name is Dave and I gave away my Atari stuff.

I was about 12, I had a Sega Master System and my brother had a NES. I was getting "too old for toys" anyway, so I gave what must have been 75 Atari 2600 games to my cousin.

I wonder if she still has them and would be willing to sell them back.

My parents figured that since the Atari 5200 system didn't work, they might as well get rid of all of it, cartridges etc.

That's actually what got me started collecting again. I asked about the stuff about 4 years ago, and my mom said it was all gone!

So I credit her with energizing my resolve to collect classic games. I didn't stop at just a 5200...I later got a 2600 and recently a 7800.

If she had not got rid of it, I might not have had as intense an interest in reclaiming it all. But I'm glad I did collect it all...

AtariLeaf, your story makes me sad. :sad:

Especially the Star Wars stuff. I think I had just about every figure, every playset, every vehicle, etc. I kept most of the boxes too.

Thats all I spent my allowance on when I was a kid.

(My dad bought the atari games)

I think I need some kind of grief counselling.

:sad: