IGNORED

Atari McDonalds promo!!

dykesr

I had a ton of those game pieces at my parents house. It was my favorite promotion at McDonalds. I wanted the Centipede arcade game soooooo bad. Unfortunately I didn't win anything significant.

It's really cool to see the game pieces again. I am sure I still have them somewhere. I kept them in one of those sticker binders with my puffy Hulk stickers an Empire Strikes Back alphabet stickers.

Yes, I was a loser.

Mike

I played that game back then. I won some free burgers. Of course I really wanted to win the arcade games or the Atari computer. I already had a VCS.

Speaking of which, it's funny how I've finally gotten used to calling it a 2600. It was always a VCS to me back then.

Of course the greatest McDonald's promotion of all time was the 1984 Olympics contest. You won free food based on how well the USA did in the event on the scratch off card. A gold medal got you a free burger, silver got you fries and for bronze you got a drink.

Thanks to Jimmy Carter's boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics, the Soviets boycotted the LA Olympics in 1984. So the USA ending up winning all sorts of events they had no business winning, such as Greco-Roman Wresting (I wrestled in high school and I still don't understand what the hell is going on in this event.) McDonalds had printed up tons of cards with these types of events.

I got so damn much free food, I ended up throwing out a ton of winning tickets. Those were great times when you were 14, got no allowance and the closed McDonalds was less than a mile away.

I have two of them, but I'm not going to sell them. You can see them on this page:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...ou-deserve.html

They are as close to life-size as I could get them. I'm glad you posted that Atari Museum link. I've been to the site before, but I don't remember ever seeing that page. I'll put that link on my web site.

Edited by Random Terrain

Damn, I saw the title and was thinking that McDonalds was doing some type of NEW promotion with Atari!

I was thinking the same thing.

But about those scratch-ems. I don't remember those at all. But I do remember the other scratch cards like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, NES, etc...

Of course the greatest McDonald's promotion of all time was the 1984 Olympics contest.  You won free food based on how well the USA did in the event on the scratch off card.  A gold medal got you a free burger, silver got you fries and for bronze you got a drink.

Thanks to Jimmy Carter's boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics, the Soviets boycotted the LA Olympics in 1984.  So the USA ending up winning all sorts of events they had no business winning, such as Greco-Roman Wresting (I wrestled in high school and I still don't understand what the hell is going on in this event.)  McDonalds had printed up tons of cards with these types of events.

I got so damn much free food, I ended up throwing out a ton of winning tickets.   Those were great times when you were 14, got no allowance and the closed McDonalds was less than a mile away.

That same thing happened on the Simpsons. Quite funny :)

So does anybody still have any of the prizes that they won from this contest minus the food of course.

RD

I never won anything cool, but I did know someone who did. At the time, I lived in Franklin County near Roanoke, Virginia and a Farmer that my cousin worked for (and I worked for once or twice) won an Atari 2600. The guy was semi-rich and didn't really need it because he could go out and buy 20 of them if he wanted to, but that's the way things always seem to go.

So does anybody still have any of the prizes that they won from this contest minus the food of course.

RD

I never won anything cool, but I did know someone who did. At the time, I lived in Franklin County near Roanoke, Virginia and a Farmer that my cousin worked for (and I worked for once or twice) won an Atari 2600. The guy was semi-rich and didn't really need it because he could go out and buy 20 of them if he wanted to, but that's the way things always seem to go.

Cool I live in Roanoke, VA. Are you still in the area?

I had a friend win a years worth of happy meals on the disney trivia promtoion. (but he was like 18 and didn't have any kids)