IGNORED

How to Play Stargate/Defender II

Great Hierophant

Well, I have a problem. Problem is that this game requires two joysticks to work all the controls properly. However, as I only have two hands, one need to be on the first joystick while the other on the fire button. So, how do you operate the second controller without taking a hand away from the precious fire button?

Right controller between the legs. The programmer should have assigned the fire button to hyperspace and the joystick to smart bombs because it's easy to tap the second stick but awkward to hit the button while gripping the left control. We all use smart bombs far more than hyperspace.

How about say, a modded Genesis controller, where it has 2 jacks coming out, A wired up for say... smart bombs, and C wired up for the direction for say... hyperspace. If i had the spare parts i'm sure it'll be easy to build. Just solder ground to ground, the fire lead to A, and the direction for hyperspace to C. This sucks... I'm a genius and i can't build em because i'm stuck in japan... thats my luck.

I don't like foot controls.

We need to modify something like the Playstation dual shock controller. That would be amazing for games like Stargate, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. Assuming it would also work on the 7800, what would that do for Robotron?

We need to modify something like the Playstation dual shock controller.  That would be amazing for games like Stargate, Raiders of the Lost Ark,  etc.  Assuming it would also work on the 7800, what would that do for Robotron?

Been there, done that, bought the !%@# t-shirt:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/2600_psx_adap.html

Works great on 7800 Robotron, also on 5200 Robotron and Space Dungeon through two genesis adapters. It's my main classic controller now.

Hmm... did some research, looks like I can only use 2 buttons, A and B are the same pin, with C being on pin 9... my question to you guys is that is there any way to rig up button A so when you press it, it grounds so it'll fire? I noticed that when you pressed the microswitch on the original atari controllers, that grounds it out to make the controller move. is there any way to manipulate this on the genesis controller? I can't bridge A with B or else they both will be the fire button, and that's bad. Is there any other way to get A to work?! How it works is that there is a clock inside of the controller. High and low. High is using B and C. Low is using A and Start. A and B are on pin 6 and C and Start are on pin 9. So, according to the Atari, A and Start are not functionable. Is there any way to rig A to get it to be the smart bomb button?

I have always wanted to know how the hell a colecovision stick works with both buttons on the 2600 Omega Race, and why can't homebrews be programmed to use both buttons with a coleco stick (I know they suck, but they are common and can be used with two buttons on a 2600)

I have always wanted to know how the hell a colecovision stick works with both buttons on the 2600 Omega Race, and why can't homebrews be programmed to use both buttons with a coleco stick (I know they suck, but they are common and can be used with two buttons on a 2600)

A 2600 Omega Race adapter works as follows:

Pulling pin 6 (normally high) to low registers as a Thrust

Pulling pin 5 (normally low) to high registers as a Fire

Pulling pin 9 (normally low) to high also registers as a Thrust

A standard CV controller works as follows:

Pushing button A shorts pin 6 to pin 8 through a diode

Pushing button B shorts pin 6 to pin 5 through a diode

When a CV controller is plugged into a 2600 with Omega Race the following happens:

Pushing button A shorts pin 6 (normally high) to pin 8 (2600 ground) which registers as a Thrust because pin 6 goes low

Pushing button B shorts pin 6 to pin 5. Since pin 6 is NORMALLY held high, this sends a high voltage to pin 5 which registers as a Fire

There is one small problem here, you can't thrust and fire at the same time. Any 2600 homebrews that used this trick would have the same problem

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/2600_omega_adap.html