IGNORED

Journey Escape

NovaXpress

I don't think the second song (the one that plays during the game) is a Journey song, I think it's just a generic bouncy tune playing in the background.

Now is the point where I admit I like Journey's music.

Now is the point where I admit that Journey Escape is still one of my favorite Atari 2600 games ever.

Now is the point where everyone else will point and laugh at me.

I don't think that 2nd tune is another Journey song, I think it's an extension of Don't Stop Believing. Just some tune they came up with for the game, but man it's really annoying :)

Did you know there's a alt.music.journey newsgroup? Scary, there's a bit in there FAQ about the 2600 game, lol.

3.18 WHAT IS THE JOURNEY ESCAPE VIDEO GAME?

In 1982, following the success of the Escape album, Journey

and Data Age Inc. released a fun playing game for the Atari

2600. With it's release Journey became the first rock band to

cross over to into the video game industry.

The main plot of the game involved getting all five members

from the concert stage to their Scarab Escape Vehicle.  To

get them there you must guide them past hordes of Love-Crazed

Groupies and other backstage obstacles.  A computerized

version of Don't Stop Believin plays in the background.

It's interesting that no one knows it off the top of their head. I wonder if it's a made-up tune.

I believe there's a Data Age catalog that says there's 2 Journey tunes in the game. I can't figure it out either (Still They Ride? Who's Crying Now?).

Interesting note: the arcade Journey Escape actually used songs and the art from Frontiers.

Wasn't the arcade game (by Midway) simply called Journey?

-Bry

Wasn't the arcade game (by Midway) simply called Journey?
I see that it was, I wonder why they had to license it from Data Age? Why wouldn't Bally just try the same idea with a different album or different band for that matter?

I see this in KLOV and I think it's wrong:

Originally, this game was not to have the band Journey in it. It would have a digital camera (created by Ralph Baer, the creator of the Magnavox Odyssey home console systems) that would take a picture of the player's face and put it on the character. After some people used unmentionable parts of their body as character heads during tests, this was dropped.
I read an interview with an old arcade designer (either Eugene Jarvis or Tim Skelly) who described a different game using the same camera and with the same result. The game he described involved pods that docked with each other.

Ok I took a listen (installed an emu here at work) and yeah that other tune doesn't sound like any Journey I know. It's just some random dinky-dink tune as far as I can tell :?

Anyway, all this talk about Journey made me investigate them a little bit, (they weren't ever a band I fully followed or anything, but like I said I dug their stuff) and I do see the point where they jumped the shark probably although I was never fully cognizant of it... it was the album "Escape"! I mean look at that track listing... it's almost all pure cheese. (although I do like the guitar work in Stone In Love) :ponder: :D

1. Don't Stop Believin'

2. Stone in Love

3. Who's Crying Now

4. Keep on Runnin'

5. Still They Ride

6. Escape

7. Lay It Down

8. Dead or Alive

9. Mother, Father

10. Open Arms

The only Journey songs I ever liked were Any Way You Want It, Don't Stop Believin', and Send Her My Love. I hated the rest. When I saw that game at the store, I wondered why Journey had their own game. You heard them on the radio, but they didn't seem to be huge enough to have their own game. I thought that maybe the game company couldn't get a huge band, so they had to settle for Journey.

Journey at least wrote their own music and played their own instruments.

Cheesy as a super Dorito, but can't compare them to New Kids or N'Sync who couldn't write their names or play a kazoo.

Try to write 10 or 11 hit songs and make millions with your own music in ANY genre. It's not easy.

When I first bought a CD player in 1993, yeah I know I was late to club, but one of the first 5 cds I purchased was Journey's greatest hits.

Just think we could have Motley Crue Atari games to be arguing over... :ponder: or maybe even Huey Lewis & the News they were pretty big for a minute.. :ponder: Hall & Oates :ponder: Richard Marx :ponder: I'm getting :woozy:

Honeslty I think Def Leppard's Hysteria was always a cool cover, that might of made for a cool videogame.. A little late for 2600 though..

Journey at least wrote their own music and played their own instruments.

Cheesy as a super Dorito, but can't compare them to New Kids or N'Sync who couldn't write their names or play a kazoo.

Try to write 10 or 11 hit songs and make millions with your own music in ANY genre.  It's not easy.

The original members of Journey were from Santana's band, so it's not like they were pulled out of freshman orientation, either. They were decent musicians who decided to play the game (after a few non-radio-friendly experimental rock albums). Since they could actually play, they turned out much better stuff than the average top-40's band.

Of course, after Frontiers Steve Perry put out a solo album, went insane, fired half the band and produced Journey's "Raised On Radio" which really stunk.

-Bry

Journey was yet another manufactured band. They began as a mediocre-selling AOR jam band until the record label rewoked them into a pabulum-puking pop act.

Only two original members of Journey were from Santana's band: Greg Rollie and Neal Schon. Steve Perry was spotted as a future star by Columbia and installed in the band, which changed their sound entirely. Rollie left after the Captured live album and was replaced with a keyboardist who could deliver the BIG hits.

Columbia records pulled Jonathan Cain from his group The Babys (which was great power pop act but never sold any records) to give them some hit-making ability. He was already accustomed to writing pop tunes for an emotive singer (John Waite was the singer for the Babys) and turned out the string of hits called "Escape."

So that other song is made-up then?

Journey was yet another manufactured band.  They began as a mediocre-selling AOR jam band until the record label rewoked them into a pabulum-puking pop act.

I don't disagree that the band was a "manager's special." I just disagree that they were like the New Kids On The Block, who weren't musicians or songwriters.

Only two original members of Journey were from Santana's band: Greg Rollie and Neal Schon.

I should have been more clear. These were the guys who were out of a job and looked to Herbie for a new project, which became Journey.

Steve Perry was spotted as a future star by Columbia and installed in the band, which changed their sound entirely.

Yep.

Rollie left after the Captured live album and was replaced with a  keyboardist who could deliver the BIG hits.

Columbia records pulled Jonathan Cain from his group The Babys (which was great power pop act but never sold any records) to give them some hit-making ability.  He was already accustomed to writing pop tunes for an emotive singer (John Waite was the singer for the Babys) and turned out the string of hits called "Escape."

Sort-of. Gregg Rolie didn't like Steve Perry, and decided to quit. Cain was looking to jump ship and already knew Rolie, who recommended him.

So that other song is made-up then?

From the 1983 Data Age catalog:

You're on the road with JOURNEY, one of the world's hottest rock groups. A spectacular performance has just ended, and you have just made $50,000 in concert cash. Now Journey is counting on you to guide each band member past hordes of LOVE-CRAZED GROUPIES, SNEAKY PHOTOGRAPHERS, AND SHIFTY-EYED PROMOTERS to the safety of the JOURNEY ESCAPE VEHICLE in time to make the next concert.

Contact any one of these characters and they will not only slow you down, but they will also take some of your hard earned money. Your MIGHTY MANAGER and LOYAL ROADIES are there to help, but the escape is up to you.

Aside from outstanding game play and graphics, this game also includes a computer animation of the famous "escape-vehicle-burst" and a musical parody of two JOURNEY hit tunes.

So, it sounds like the 2nd tune is supposed to be something.

-Bry

Oh my god you guys are killing me!!! Between this and the "50 ALL TIME WORST SONGS" show I watched yesterday on VH1 my entire teenage musical up-bringing is shot to hell!! What's wrong hair bands?!! What the hell were we supposed to listen to Wham, Duran Duran, Madonna, or....gasp Boy George!!! No thanks I'll take the hair bands of that time anyday! Can't wait till you guys have to endure the same thing in about 15-20 years!!

Journey did jump the shark and "sold out" with Escape, but isn't that the idea of a band...to make it BIG!!! Those guys not only made it big, but they do have talent unlike the boy-band fabrications, who suck but they are laughed all the way to the bank! Neal can play guitar, he is one of the better guitar plays of that era. Escape was very commercial, but look at any band from any era that had a big hit album and most burned bright for awhile and faded away, very few had staying power. For some classic Journey pull out "Infinity" from 1978 and their first album "Journey" from 1975 (pre Perry).

In anycase I really wasn't a big fan of them back in the day (I do like them now though), Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, & Styx were my favorites.

I listened to the tune in the game & I can't figure out what song that is. "Don't Stop Believing" is done pretty well, but that other song doesn't register. Logically it would have to be something from "Escape", but I listened to every song on the album (sorry CD!) and can't match it to any of them. Is there another song that plays later on in the higher levels of the game? Maybe that background music is just background music.

- Sal

I think the second song is "Rubicon" from the "Frontiers" album.
Shit, now I'm gonna have to listen to it.

funny, people i knew back in high school (80's) that loved AC/DC and kiss, was too busy taking drugs not playing videogames!
Yep. Drugs and video games never mixed. I never saw any metal heads in the old arcades selling/doing drugs. Nope, never.

Nope, no one has ever gotten high and played video games. No siree. Never happened.

Now excuse me while I go check out a Rez fan forum.

I sure will be surprised if "ding . . ding . . ding ding . . . ding . . ding . . ding" is from a real song. All this time, I thought it was just some made up crap for the game.

Maybe its just my game,but as long as you dont get hit or get those aliens that change the music,the second theme will get louder and louder and.... :sad:

I couldn't find "Rubicon" through my usual sources, so one of you Journey heads is gonna have to investigate further.

Electronic Fun magazine said that Data Age was considering a game with The Rolling Stones if Journey turned out to be a hit. We know where that led.

The best video game/music crossover game ever? Kriss Kross:Make My Video of course!