IGNORED

5200jr ??

adam holm

lol i have no idea. i just spent the past year restoring it. ive spent hours on end polishing it by hand, its flawless. i dont really think id be willing to sell it outright, but if someone put a 5100 / 5200 jr infront of my face (or clear 7800 for that matter) i'd be willing to part with it. i could have designer regan cheng autograph it too. pm me if you have questions.

speaking of which, who designed the 5200 jr?

lol i have no idea. i just spent the past year restoring it. ive spent hours on end polishing it by hand, its flawless.

Just curious as to what you use to polish the system? I have a spare 5200 I'd like to try and restore that has some minor scratches on the dust cover, console top, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

lol i have no idea. i just spent the past year restoring it. ive spent hours on end polishing it by hand, its flawless. i dont really think id be willing to sell it outright, but if someone put a 5100 / 5200 jr infront of my face (or clear 7800 for that matter) i'd be willing to part with it. i could have designer regan cheng autograph it too. pm me if you have questions.

speaking of which, who designed the 5200 jr?

Mark Biassiotti did the new case design. Pete Gerrard who did the initial electronics design work of the 5200 was also responsible for the 5100 design.

Curt

lol i have no idea. i just spent the past year restoring it. ive spent hours on end polishing it by hand, its flawless.

Just curious as to what you use to polish the system? I have a spare 5200 I'd like to try and restore that has some minor scratches on the dust cover, console top, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I've found Novus polish works very well.

Curt

No I mean I went full throttle with this thing. It's not every day you stumble into an Atari Video System X. The unit I acquired was in decent shape with the metal name plate in superb condition, even the plastic protectorate film was still intact over the aluminum. However the original 5200's design features lots of smooth finish smoked Plexiglas and plastic which is very susceptible to scratches, scuffs, etc. There were no major gouges on my unit, but it looked like many of the other "ebay 5200s" you might find with lots of scratches etc, and this was just unacceptable for a piece of historical repute such as the VSX.

Sooo to sum it up, I purchased several different grains of sand paper starting at 200 grit and sanded the unit down. I ended up wet sanding the entire VSX with 800 grain paper and chloride water. I made sure to sand along with the grain of the nameplate so no swirls would emerge in the end. After about 20 hours (total) of sanding by hand I brought out automotive quality buffing compound which was used for about 5 hours. To finish it off, I used some 3M Liquid Wax which was applied by hand in four different coats in about 5 hours of additional polishing. The finished result was a beautiful Atari Video System X that looks shinier and more pure than a new 5200 would look coming out of the box.

An interesting occurrence with the sanding, once I got to 800 grit there was almost no grain left in the Plexiglas. (Originally there was none but with sanding, you're bound to get something.) In the end, the Plexiglas ended up having a very polished "stainless steel" look to it with a slight hint of translucent grain in the Plexiglas. Its very pretty.

Best,

Justin