IGNORED

Early joystick....with springs?

Juzza

Hi, i recently won an Atari 2600 on ebay(UK) and it turned to be a US sunnyvale(not heavy 6er). The joystick with it sounded ...'clicky!?'... i opened it up and found 4 big springs and a white plastic board, i did a bit of research and was wondering if it could be a 1010J2 joystick? It looks like a standard CX-40. There is also a small hexagonal indent at the top of the stick.

http://www.atariguide.com/10/1010.htm

Also the sunnyvale has a problem with joystick port 1, even with no joystick it pulls to right no matter what, is it a case of desoldering the port and resoldering on another one? i was gonna swap the whole board but the connector is different to my spares/repairs PAL console. :sad:

Sorry if any of this is a bit dumb!! :!:

Any help greatly appreciated!

JUZZA

Hi' date=' i recently won an Atari 2600 on ebay(UK) and it turned to be a US sunnyvale(not heavy 6er). The joystick with it sounded ...'clicky!?'... i opened it up and found 4 big springs and a white plastic board, i did a bit of research and was wondering if it could be a 1010J2 joystick? It looks like a standard CX-40. There is also a small hexagonal indent at the top of the stick.[/quote']Yes, that is a first year joystick that came with the first year consoles.

Also the sunnyvale has a problem with joystick port 1, even with no joystick it pulls to right no matter what, is it a case of desoldering the port and resoldering on another one? i was gonna swap the whole board but the connector is different to my spares/repairs PAL console. :sad:

This sounds like it could be one of the chips on the main board. (most likely the RIOT chip) I had a similar problem on a heavy sixer that was reading the button as being held down even with no joystick in the port. (replacing the motherbard made it all better)

Thanks for help!

I just read a post on this forum that was posted just before mine which helped a bit too (they were talking about the hex disk!).

I do have another US sunnyvale which is in working order, i think i'll risk chopping and changing the board on that one to see if it solves the joystick problem. Try to make one good one...

Thanks again!!! :thumbsup:

JUZZA