IGNORED

atari 2600 siting on "three's company" episode!

brett6400

In the opening scene of the "Furley vs. Furley" episode of "Three's Company", which just aired on TV Land, Jack and Janet are playing Atari 2600! The console is clearly sitting on the coffeetable. They each have the iconic 2600 joystick. They are playing some footbal sports game, maybe fictious? Talk about double memory flashback... Atari and Three's Company!

Thats pretty cool. Although Im not a TV fan, I always liked Threes company! Ive seen every episode. (i used to watch it all the time when I was a kid). I dont remember that episode, though. Is it one of the early ones with Chrissy or one of the later one wheres shes replaced with Terry?

A store in the mall sells Threes company DVDs. Perhaps Ill buy the one that has that episode name.

I've posted about this before, but it was an episode of Three's Company that got me back into the 2600. In all, I've seen 3 episodes that have a 2600 console in the living room -- this one you've mentioned (where they actually use it) and two others where the console is just sitting there on the coffee table unused.

About 6 months ago, I was drinking some beers, watching one of these episodes (3's Co. is on every night at 2am in NYC), and decided to see if I could reclaim my youth for a reasonable price. 45 minutes later, my order was made for a console and games with 6 different places and I've been playing for hours every day ever since.

I owe it all to Jack, Janet and Chrissy.

They are playing some footbal sports game' date=' maybe fictious?[/quote']

Ah, you can bet: there's no cart in the slot! :lol:

(or is it my eyesight perhaps? :ponder:)

Nice memories, though! That was called "three hearts for rent" here.

The guy died suddenly few years ago, right? :sad:

I heard that in one episode, the Atari 2600 was wearing nothing but a bathrobe, and accidentally revealed its trackball after sitting down on the living room couch.

JR

P.S. Three Hearts For Rent... hm, that's actually more clever than the US name. Did they rewrite the theme song to accommodate the new name?

I love it when I see an Atari item in a TV show or movie. Nice picture!! Just the other day I was watching Blade Runner with Harrison Ford and near the begining of the movie, he is chasing down a runaway robot women (You have to see the movie to know what I am talking about) and near the end of the chase, right behind Harrison Ford, just before he shoots her in the back, on the wall is a big blue neon Atari Fuji sign, I thought I was not seeing that right, but before I could say anything, my wife say's "Did you see the Atari sign". I had seen the movie a few times before, but I had never cought that Atari sign before.

:love: :ponder: 8)

It does look like they're playing without a cartridge in the Atari 2600, yeah.

While we're on the topic, does anyone remember the title of the episode where Chrissy (I think) asks Jack if he wants to make a wish, and he yells "NO!" I remember that episode vaguely, but I remember cracking up at it.

Still, it seems the Atari popped up in the most unlikely places!

While we're on the topic' date=' does anyone remember the title of the episode where Chrissy (I think) asks Jack if he wants to make a wish, and he yells "NO!" I remember that episode vaguely, but I remember cracking up at it.[/quote']

That was the 2nd season episode called "Alone Together." It starts with this bit about Jack getting into this yoga position he can't get out of. When the girls help him stretch his legs, Janet says, "You wanna make a wish?" Jack sceams, "No!" and falls on the floor.

post-590-1090513946_thumb.jpg

Notice that Janet wore pantyhose constantly. Even with athletic outfits or nightgowns or even wearing a towel. It was assumed that she did this because she was the spokeslady for some pantyhose company at the time. Maybe there was some kind of vague Atari promotion going on as well. Marketing wasn't as obvious back then.

Notice that Janet wore pantyhose constantly. Even with athletic outfits or nightgowns or even wearing a towel. It was assumed that she did this because she was the spokeslady for some pantyhose company at the time.

Actually' date=' she was wearing the pantyhose before she got the L'eggs contract in 1979. According to Come and Knock on Our Door Joyce was wearing the pantyhose because she, "felt more together with panty hose on."(p.134) (Whatever that means.)

Maybe there was some kind of vague Atari promotion going on as well. Marketing wasn't as obvious back then.

Well, so many people had Atari's back then, it was only natural that a chef in training, a flower shop manager, and a secretary would have the disposable income for a ~$200 video game (especially since they can never scrape up enough cash for a $300 rent bill.) I've always thought maybe they borrowed it from a friend.

Anyway, I think they just wanted to use it for a gag more than anything else and it may have appeared a few more times as a leftover prop.