IGNORED

good games for starting

kenny ice cold 3000

im interested in some good games for the atari 2600. i just got one and have a few, but i want some more. what are some of the best games for the atari? im not looking for rare games, just easily accessable good games. i have space invaders, defender, combat, donkey kong, et, riddle of sphinx, warlords, dig dug, and breakout. what did you guys start out having?

what are some of the best games for the atari?

You'll soon find out that there is really no absolute way for judging an Atari game: there is likely always someone who will like a given game (well' date=' except for Slots probably!), so I believe it's mostly up to you to try and find which ones you like the most!

Try some on an emulator for instance, or check some review sites (here, for instance(thanks Thomas :))) if you prefer to read other's opinions :)

Regards!

Rasty.-

im interested in some good games for the atari 2600. i just got one and have a few' date=' but i want some more. what are some of the best games for the atari? im not looking for rare games, just easily accessable good games. i have space invaders, defender, combat, donkey kong, et, riddle of sphinx, warlords, dig dug, and breakout. what did you guys start out having?[/quote']

There are a lot of ways to achieve that. My advice would be this -- if it says "Activision" on it, buy it. Nine times out of 10, you'll get one of the best games made for the 2600 by using that method.

Some other gems which are both good and fairly common are Moon Patrol, Frogger, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids and Missile Command.

I third Activision.

Pressure Cooker

Megamania

Chopper Command

and so on.

I think the 5 games that every atari owner MUST have (not necessarily the best games... just MUST HAVES are:

Adventure

Kaboom (another Activision title)

Asteroids

Space Invaders

PacMan

Unless you happen to be a girl that likes dolls that smell like fruit.

Then get Strawberry Shortcake's Musical Matchup :D

Activision, Silver Label Atari (minus Swordquest), Parker Bros.

Almost all of those are sure hits and will keep you glued to the VCS for a few months. You can look up all the great Atari games you want, right here on the AA database. Its world famous! :)

I'll agree on the Activision games. They did put out some of the best games for system. My personal favs are Keystone Kapers, River Raid and Dragster. Some other must haves (IMHO) are Asteroids, Space Invaders, Yar's Revenge and Adventure. Ms. Pac-Man is also nice to have.

Marty

Pretty much can't go wrong with Activision, with this caveat: the game needs to be from 1984 or earlier.

Here are some of my favorite games:

BEST OF THE BEST

Yars' Revenge

Solaris

ACTIVISION'S BEST (a.k.a. BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST)

H.E.R.O.

Keystone Kapers

Pitfall II

ACQUIRED TASTES

Video Pinball

Dodge 'Em

BEST PADDLE GAMES

Circus Atari

Kaboom!

BEST MULTI-PLAYER GAMES

Warlords

Indy 500

Maze Craze

GAMES THAT ARE REALLY BAD BUT STILL FUN FOR MULTI-PLAYER

Slot Racers

Miniature Golf

BEST ARCADE CONVERSIONS

Frogger

Ms. Pac-Man

Berzerk

Moon Patrol

Phoenix

Hope this gives you something to start with... :)

A few things to think about (and these are often just my own opinions, take them as you will)...

1. Most of the rare games are not really that good. They're rare because they had poor distribution and/or didn't sell well.

2. The best games seem to have been made in 1981-1982. The graphics quality peaked around 1983-1984, but there was a glut of shoddy games by then too.

3. You're best off with games from these manufacturers: Atari, Activision, Imagic, Parker Brothers, M Network.

Best common games to get:

Asteroids

Ms. Pac-Man

Kaboom!

Space Invaders

Frogger

River Raid

And if you can get 4 people: Warlords.

Best Rare games to get (5 and above rarity)

Frogger II: Threedeep

Tapper

Spy Hunter

River Raid II

First, I have to say that I agree with everyone that likes the Activision games. These games had a tendency to be all around better.

Here are my recommendations:

Activision:

H.E.R.O

River Raid

Enduro

Other Companies:

Bermuda Triangle (Data Age)

Dodger Cars (Sears)

Galaxian (Atari)

Phoenix (Atari)

That Dodger Cars comment reminds me...

In the early years, Sears rebranded (and in many cases renamed) Atari-brand games they sold. Dodger Cars is the same game as Dodge 'Em, for example.

There were only 3 games Sears released that Atari did not (although Atari did develop all 3 of them). None of them are good games, but if you become a full-fledged collector, you'll want to get them.

I think at least a third of Activision's library was boring as hell. I hope I never get bored enough again in my life to play Sky Jinks. Why would I play Freeway when I can play Frogger? I never understood why anyone thought Dragster was fun. I don't think I've ever played a full game of Checkers or Bridge.

You can't recommend any certain company, because they make different games for different taste and they all had a couple dogs. Imagic had Fire Fighter. Parker had Amidar and Mr. Do's Castle. Atari had more crap games than I can count.

Want to know which games are the most fun? Try them on an emulator. I don't even come close to owning all the 2600 games, but I've tried out every ROM I could get my hands on. I just assume that everyone else does this as well.

My list of must haves would include, in no particular order expect for when they pop into my head:

Moon Patrol

Missile Command

Jungle Hunt

Pitfall II

River Raid

Spider Fighter

There are many others but I think this is a good start. BTW, I can't understand why anyone would like Dragster, it is so BORING!

Come on people.

Best games?

easily accessable?

Have we forgotten the thriving homebrew scene right here at AtariAge?

Anything from Xype is a sure bet.

Marble Craze has a money back guarantee. If you don't like it just send it to StanJr ;)

Starfire still has some patches left. (and they are really cool patches too)

Thrust+ has to be one of the best 2600 games ever (if a little bit hard :P ) and there are plans for patches aswell.

And all avalible right here in the AA store. :)

Since your taste is probably not the same as someone else's taste, I recommend trying the games on an emulator (as was already mentioned by several people) and getting your hands on whatever games you can find locally for cheap.

By doing that, it'll help you decide which games you like or don't like and whether you'll end up wanting to collect more or play more.

I think at least a third of Activision's library was boring as hell.

Thus sayeth the noble dissent :)

Actually, there are some very dull Activision games. However, titles from that company tend to be of higher quality than most anything out there. They even went toe-to-toe on some of Atari's better-known games. For example, take a look at Robot Tank as opposed to Battlezone, Chopper Command vs. Defender and StarMaster compared to Star Raiders.

In spite of the few stinkers from Activision out there, I'd argue the above-mentioned titles from the company as well as games like Spider Fighter, Megamania, Sea Quest, Beamrider, Ice Hockey, Enduro, Keystone Kapers, Kaboom! and etc., etc. represent the best stuff you can get for the 2600.

But, you are right -- in this day and age, there's no excuse not to get an emulator and try out everything. You can avoid a lot of trash games that way.

Um' date=' but won't he have a little trouble getting those Activision ROMS? :ponder:[/quote']

I'm not sure why, unless your queasy about running the risk of violating copyright laws. Last I checked, those ROMs weren't too hard to find.

Oddly, the only real use I've found for Atari emulation is testing out games I want to buy. Otherwise, I hate the stuff -- there's nothing like playing an honest-to-goodness console.

Why would I play Freeway when I can play Frogger?

Because Freeway is a two player game' date=' and a fabulous one at that (it does suck as a one player game, though).[/quote']

I agree... Freeway is a fantastic two-player game... loads of fun!

(And remember the historical context... Freeway was a 2600 original BEFORE Frogger existed in the arcades.)

(And remember the historical context... Freeway was a 2600 original BEFORE Frogger existed in the arcades.)

True, but Freeway is a boring timed piece of garbage based on the oldest joke in the book and Frogger is a classic that has stood the test of time.