IGNORED

good games for starting

kenny ice cold 3000

Do you only play Freeway by yourself?

I've tried 2 player. It's a little better, but there are a lot of games that can be entertaining in 2 player mode that are boring solo:

Fishing Derby

Miniature Golf

Frogs and Flies

etc...

I don't see how this game is anything special.

Ok I guess I will put my two cents in.

First go for the arcade conversions like

Zaxxon

Berzerk

Ms. Pacman

Jr. Pacman

Frogger

Qbert

Jungle Hunt

Centipede

Donkey Kong

Asteroids

Galaxian

Missile Command

These games are very easy to get and very fun to play

There are some Activision games that deserve special mention

Pitfall

Pitfall 2

Megamania

H.E.R.O.

River Raid

Barnstorming

Grand Prix

Decathalon

Most of these game are pretty easy to get, though Pitfall 2 and H.E.R.O might be a litle harder to obtain

Some good other party games are

Cosmic Ark

M.A.D.

Mountain King

Frankensteins Monster

There are actually many more great games but I will keep it to this list for now.

Um' date=' but won't he have a little trouble getting those Activision ROMS? :ponder:[/quote']

I'm not sure why' date=' unless your queasy about running the risk of violating copyright laws. Last I checked, those ROMs weren't too hard to find.

[/quote']

That's good to hear. I've had them for years so I wasn't sure if they were tough to find or not after they were removed from the AA database. I guess it will just take a little more work for a person to the hobby.

I don't know about the AA database, but it seems a fairly common practice for some sites to bundle ROMs together in sets and offer them for download in each set (i.e., put all the 2k ROMs together, then the 4k, etc., etc.)

I've had the ROMs for years, too, as I still tend to test out a game before I buy it.

I would have to say that games that are worth owning for the 2600 that I don't believe have been stated yet include the following

Joystick games

-----------------

Millipede, pengo, thrust+, human cannonball, sky diver, entombed, adventure, jammed, crystal castles, bump and jump, saboteur

Paddle games

----------------

Warlords, marble craze, super breakout, canyon bomber, video olympics, street racer

Keyboard controller

----------------------

Brain games, star raiders

There are many other great games, but these are the ones that come directly to mind.

-mike

I'm surprised no one has mentioned my all time favourite game Dig-Dug...not extremely had to find and one of the best games out there (although I am biased...we all have our favourties)

Other good titles I didn't see mentioned (could have been though) include:

phoenix

circus atari (great two player)

joust

pole position

oh, and get mrs. pac-man not pac-man (unless you are nostalgic for it) the graphics and gameplay are much better (including the occasional cinematic)

oh, and most activision roms can be found on www.atariguide.com/

I've always said that Freeway was a fat turd :P (that and Barnstorming)Actually it's one of the games where I first felt "ripped off" and burned when I finally got it home. The graphics and sound were nice but they quickly wore thin and when I think about it, that's the ONE game that gave me an overall impression of Activision as a cheapo company.. something I still think subconciously!! :lol: p.s. I also am of the opinion Frogger came out before Freeway. At least when I bought it, I KNOW my motivation was because "it looks like Frogger". And yes, when PB Frogger came out I snagged that too :)

On the other hand Demon Attack blew me away so much that I still think of Imagic as the true wizards of the VCS.. again, something I still subconciously think to this day :P

So I recommend Demon Attack and Frogger :D Both are easy to find, are cheap, and easily rank as some of the top games for the 2600 8)

Just buy any and all 2600 cartridges you can find. You'll eventually resort to this anyway, as you become addicted like the rest of us.

I highly recommend bypassing this testing stage where you pick and choose your games....cuz you are going to want them all eventually anyway. If you are just starting out you are extra lucky...because this is the time where you can even save a buttload of money by purchasing large 'game lots' from the forum, or from ebay without the worry of getting duplicates.