IGNORED

Haunted House II 3D and Combat 2 Advanced

Atari2600.com

We've just completed production on a limited run of re-released Atari 5200 games: Haunted House II 3D and Combat 2 Advanced. Both titles are now available for purchase through the Atari 2600.com Online Store. Additional information about these two games can be found on our News page at http://www.atari2600.com

Joe

Atari2600.com

I just received these in mail today, Man I think half my collection is of these George Reese boxes ;) But there seems to be a problem with Haunted House II 3D..

This is the title screen from the original cart, I purchased from AA store:

hh2_a.jpg

And this what the one I received in mail today from Atari2600.com:

hh2_b.jpg

I don't think it's hitting on all 8 cylinders. Also besides for missing difficultly & Maze selections, it locks up after about 20 seconds or so, the "instructions" from attract mode don't come on, it locks up something like this:

hh2_c.jpg

There's also no Atari splash intro screen either like the first cart I bought, it jumps directly to the title screen.. Has the rom been changed any? I wasn't sure if intro was still suppose to be in or not..

I'm guessing there is a problem with this cart?

I will sell the prototypes cart for $25 shipped. :P

No honestly I have not tried really playing, as my 5200 & controller combo do not like this game, I can't move in all directions currently. But from the starting screen once you begin game, the original I bought has door directly above, this new cart has a starway.. Seems different altogether..

Did anyone else buy one?

RARE UNRELEASED PROTOTYPE. It's true. The first few copies of Haunted House II 3D were shipped with an early version of the game code or 'prototype' development code by mistake. This game code was previoulsy unreleased and are limited to fewer than 10 copies making them 'rare'. Please return your copy for an exchange. PM me for shipping instructions or visit our website.

I'd like to have these early copies off the market entirely. If you do own a copy and are considering keeping it please allow us the opportunity to make you a reasonable offer.

The early release problem has been corrected. All copies of Haunted House II 3D are now being shipped with the correct and final code.

JC

Atari2600.com

Screwup Department

RARE UNRELEASED PROTOTYPE.  It's true. The first few copies of Haunted House II 3D were shipped with an early version of the game code or 'prototype' development code by mistake.  This game code was previoulsy unreleased and are limited to fewer than 10 copies making them 'rare'.  Please return your copy for an exchange.  PM me for shipping instructions or visit our website.

I'd like to have these early copies off the market entirely.  If you do own a copy and are considering keeping it please allow us the opportunity to make you a reasonable offer.

The early release problem has been corrected.  All copies of Haunted House II 3D are now being shipped with the correct and final code.

JC

Atari2600.com

Screwup Department

Doubt whether you'll have much luck there, when prototypes come out the

people go crazy! ;)

I think he will "keep" it if you ask me! :ponder:

My wife purchased me several games for the 5200 when the homebrews started coming out, which one of them was the Combat 2 advanced. It was one of the first ones when they were released. I finally got around to playing all of these carts the other day and I found out the Combat 2 was a dead cart. I can not make it work on my 4 port or 2 port. Is there anyone that can upload the game to the rom or trade it in for one that works?

Actually, if you got Combat 2 Advanced when it was first being offered. Then you most likely got it from AtariAge correct? The AA logo should be on the cart if you did. In any event, if you did get it from AA you need to contact Albert himself and let him know. He will get you taken care of most likely. Even though Combat 2 isn't being sold through AA anymore, I am sure that Al has the means to get yours fixed.

If he isn't able to, then it definitely sounds like Joe is willing to help you out at Atari2600.com. Good to hear from you Joe!

I believe ziggystar built them himself, then just shipped them to various online sites. I recall some other Atari site carried them for awhile, Best or Video61 or B&C or somewhere I've seen. Or maybe they just bought a few so they could offer online, but the price was the same.. But there was no AA logo on carts, they were made prior to the AA store receiving.

I believe ziggystar built them himself, then just shipped them to various online sites. I recall some other Atari site carried them for awhile, Best or Video61 or B&C or somewhere I've seen. Or maybe they just bought a few so they could offer online, but the price was the same..  But there was no AA logo on carts, they were made prior to the AA store receiving.

This is mostly true. Except for a small batch of the last Combat II Advanced carts we sold, all the Haunted House II and Combat II Advanced carts were made by John and then sent to us to resell. The earlier runs of these carts had labels printed by John, the later runs we printed the labels ourselves to affix to the carts. However, the label is not an indicator of who made the cart. ;)

..Al

Actually, I think my wife ordered it from the Atari Age Store right when they came out. The gold foil label is rough around the edges and it has a mean hamster warranty tag on the back over the screw. Though I have bought several carts from the Atari2600 sight, including the short lived offered Donkey Kong for the 5200 :) :) :) which caused me to bring out the 5200, I want to do things right. Therefore, if you still want me to send it to atari2600, I will. Just reply or e-mail me. Attached is the photo of the label.

Thanks!!!

Ralph

post-3363-1091672998_thumb.jpg

Yikes!   :o   Under what conditions was that cart stored?  I only ask because I have one of the three pre-release prototypes of Haunted House II, and the label is still perfectly intact and on the cart.  Was something thermal-sensitive used?

Unfortunately, this is common for the labels John used when he was producing the Haunted House II and Combat II Advanced carts. It got so bad with the Haunted House II labels (which appear to have been printed on thick, glossy photo stock, simply glued over the existing label) that at one point I had to spend time removing all the labels from the carts and then printing labels myself, as I couldn't sell the carts I had due to the labels peeling on the edges.

..Al

I was asking about him possibly having used thermal-sensitive labels, because that charbroiled-look label above looks like some other thermal paper - rolled fax paper or some cash register receipt paper, for example - after lengthy exposure to direct sunlight. I tend to store all of my carts in a cool, dry, dark place, and as such, here is a photo taken just today of one of the first three copies of HH II that John produced, which certainly predates Combat 2 Advanced:

hh2.jpg

Not saying the man doesn't deserve a replacement label or anything, I'm just curious as to how that C2A label got like that! :o

Not saying the man doesn't deserve a replacement label or anything, I'm just curious as to how that C2A label got like that!   :o

Just the nature of the paper and glue. In my experience with these carts, not all of them were glued right to the edge, and over time this causes the edges of the label to "peel". I just took a look at my personal copy (which has a gold label) and it is peeling in this fashion along one edge. The Haunted House II's with the dark blue/black label tend to be worse, as they were printed on a thick, glossy paper stock that tends to curl much more easily. I had to replace many of these labels with the same label stock that we use for the rest of our games (it's easy to tell the difference, as the labels I printed aren't photo-glossy and they have die-cut, rounded corners).

..Al

Yeah the label on my HH2 started peeling on the edges just as I got back from CGE2k2! As you probably know, I removed the original label as it was in pretty bad shape so I had to rip it off and replace it.

So I can at least attest to the fact that my HH2 label wasn't staying on very well. I can understand if stiff photo paper was used and cemented. Because that kind of paper will curl and seperate in even the most moderate of conditions.

Still a good game though...regardless of what label I have on it!

:D

Yikes!   :o   Under what conditions was that cart stored?  I only ask because I have one of the three pre-release prototypes of Haunted House II, and the label is still perfectly intact and on the cart.  Was something thermal-sensitive used?

Are you referring to the dark, almost black look? That's a common occurance when scanning something printed with on foil paper or using metallic inks. The metals reflect an unusually high amount of light back at the scan head and are mistakenly interpreted as blacks.

Are you referring to the dark, almost black look? That's a common occurance when scanning something printed with on foil paper or using metallic inks. The metals reflect an unusually high amount of light back at the scan head and are mistakenly interpreted as blacks.

Ahh, yes, I had to actually take a picture with a digital camera of Combat II Advanced for our database, as opposed to scanning it. :)

c_Combat2Advanced_SP_front.jpg

..Al