IGNORED

How do you...?

Mike OC

...treat your NIB carts?

I have purchased a few NIB or NOS carts and I always love the way the cardboard feels and the way the packaging smells. It sounds weird, but opening them feels like opening a time capsule. I recently purchased a Defender II NIB and shrinkwrapped. The 20+ year old cardboard feels and smells different. The warranty card and instruction manual feel old and new at the same time. I collect to play so I leave the preservation to those who collect for that purpose. I bought a Supercharger (NIB) last year. As I opened the shrinkwrap and box for the first time, I thought of how it would have been opened 20 years ago. Rip the plastic and tear open the top of the box. I opened mine carefully, of course, but I could imagine some kid getting it for Christmas and casually tossing the box away. I guess I just like the idea of being the first person to open the box after it had been sitting in some warehouse all those years. Do any of you get nostalgic when opening your NIB's?

I collect to play too and I like getting a cart I don't have to clean before I put it in the system.

I don't care too much for the boxes. They take up space that could be better used for my books. I keep the boxes, but I don't worry if they get crushed or anything.

I don't open my NIBs. I leave them as they are, sealed time capsules, preserved just as they had rolled off the assembly line.

Mind you I have opened a few -- mostly those I've bought multiples or master packs of, and so can spare one to open. I bought for CX80 Trak Balls once. Opening it was a bit of a trip... it was impossible to preserve the box because Atari, in their infinite wisdom, used some sort of double-sided adhesive tape that could have doubled as skin plaster; that stuff practically bonded to cardboard. Not even a heat gun helped -- well, if I'd have kept at it for a half hour or so, maybe -- but I'm not that patient. Still, being the first to lay a hand on that Trak Ball was a good feeling.

I also opened an NIB Joust. That was tremendously cool. Seeing everything inside, just as mint as if I'd have bought it in '83 ... sweet.

I agree, having a game with original factory air still sealed in are worth more. Maybe in another 25 years, scientists would start trolling on eBay for sealed game cart to compare the quality of air from 1970's to 2020's. :D :lol::lol:

I have a couple sealed Intellivision carts, a few unopened DVDs (never got around to watching), and a couple Gamecube games (Circuit City $4.99 deals)

i take the shrink wrap off even if i'm not going to play it right away, the stuff looks tacky to me and it distorts the box shape in some cases. after that i do everything within reason to keep it mint. weird thing, i've opened activision carts that are shrink wrapped in perfect condition only to find that the label still has antiplaque spotting.

I have a whole collection of NIB games, controllers and systems that I have no intention of opening, although I've opened more than my share of NIB games. I still get that feeling that I got 20 years ago when opening a new game for the first time, although these days I'm much more careful about how I open it. My greatest debate at the moment is whether or not I want to open an NIB pair of Super Action controllers for the Colecovision.

weird thing, i've opened activision carts that are shrink wrapped in perfect condition only to find that the label still has antiplaque spotting.

Same here. When I took off the shrink wrapping on my Decathalon box, the cart not only had actiplaque, but the label was peeling off as well.