IGNORED

Modding the Atari 2600

EricDeLee

Sorry... but I can't find the main thread that compared all of the mods. Anyway... I did Ben's Mod last night. I have picture and sound through RCA jacks... only problem: The picture isn't right. I put in many carts and all have the same problem. In Pitfall II, Harry has about a one-two inch whitish blur to the right hand side of him (along with the rat on the second level).

In Mrs. Pacman, the maze does the same thing. when it goes to the 'attract' screen (when it shows one ghost at a time) it is more apparent. Same white blur follws each ghost on the right hand side of it.

Any suggestions? I seems to have everything hooked up right and adjusting the pots don't seem to help. Is the RF signal jacking it up somehow... even though it is not running through that anymore? Perhaps I need to replace the RF Shielding?

Any suggestions would be great. BTW... It still won't work with a PSOne screen. :(

The guide is AWESOME! I will be using it to re-do things on mine.

Quick question: I simply did everything the lazyman's way and tied my wires Directly to the Stella chip's pins... and avoided as much soldering as possible. Probably why I have a blur on my characters as well. LOL

Would it make a difference if you soldered it to the chip (I just have it there with clamps... no solder yet) or underneath the board. I attached everything on the top part of the board instead of the bottom.

I'll try it all again within the next few nights.

I did the Cracknel's mod but i also had some resistors laying around. I don't remember which ones i did but I put 2 660 ohm resistors on 2 of the luma leads... NOT the chroma, only the luma. Those cleared up the signal, including the color bleeding and the mismatches in color. hope this helps!

still didn't get round to modding mine...

Oh and I threw away my pictures of "how to make a SCART cable for your composite/mono modded VCS" :ponder: oops... Oh well, everyone who can lookup the pinout of SCART can do it. And besides, who here uses SCART anyway except for a few silly Europeans :P

Modded a second Atari last night... but the color bleeding is still there (I didn't do a permanant mod... just a temp.)

I don't remember which ones i did but I put 2 660 ohm resistors on 2 of the luma leads... NOT the chroma, only the luma.

Would this work on Ben's mod? Which is the Chroma and Which is the Luma (is there a number that's tell me?)

Second question... a third Atari board I have has sound problems. I put in a cart (Mrs. Pacman for example) and all of the sounds are messed up. It sounds like it is skipping or it'll use other a different sound than it is supposed to use. Any suggestions on fixing that one? I've never had sound problems before.

well i just finished up my Ben Heckendorn's mod on my vader. Came out great and i love not having to use the damn rf cable. Someone mentioned that the picture was two dark. just wondering did you try to adjust the pots? When i first got mine working i tested with stampede and it was so bright the brown cows were almost white.