IGNORED

Paddle Jitter Solution Product

kencrisis

As a newbie to this site I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before (a search showed no results), but...

I had my first paddle jitter problem tonight and went searching AtariAge for a solution. I saw a lot of people recommending a Radio Shack cleaning/lube product that was discontinued and thought y'all might like to know about a product I have sworn by for years. As a sound engineer + home recordist who uses a lot of vintage equipment, I'm always reaching for my "DeoxIT D5" from Caig Laboratories:

http://www.caig.com/

Unlike WD-40, there is no short lifespan/gunk and it's environmentally friendly (no dead wee fishies). Unlike rubbling alcohol, there is no danger of stressing out plastic parts. The Caig spray products even have an adjustable valve that lets you adjust the spray power/output between low, medium and high. (Low recommended for a paddle potentiometer.)

One little squirt and my paddles worked way better than before. This stuff is the sh*t.

I do the same, only without the teflon lube. I just disassemble the pots, clean off the gunk with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip, then put it all back together again. Works great!

Now, if only I could figure out how to do that to Sears Video Arcade II sticks and driving controllers...

I do the same, only without the teflon lube.  I just disassemble the pots, clean off the gunk with rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip, then put it all back together again.  Works great!

Now, if only I could figure out how to do that to Sears Video Arcade II sticks and driving controllers...

I've cleaned the Driving controllers the same way. It requires more concentration to take them apart, but once you open up the assembly, there's a disc in there that needs to be cleaned, and some other contacts. There is originally some type of grease/lube inside these components, as well as the paddles...which is why its important to spray some teflon lube in there....Don't use Silicon Spray...as silicon becomes sticky over time. And try not to spray too much in there either.

That white box that contains the parts needs to be pried open very carefully...because it does snap together and opens like a hinge...the plastic is very fragile. And it also has those 6 wires connected to it....the only real problem I've had in the past was sometimes those wires disconnected while I was cleaning it, or opening it up....you just have to make sure you know where the wires go if they fall out of their slots.